Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #1

Eagle HT 23.5 RBS Front Cap Fading Paint/Finish

After a little over a year of ownership, I noticed that a area about 8" wide and about 42" long just over the large "EAGLE" decals is faded and dull. The faded area is non the top panel of the cap and is not visible from the ground.

I had just washed the entire fifth wheel in May (Memorial Day) and it wasn't there at that point in time.

Is the cap painted or is this a gel coat finish? I tried to buff the area using RV wax and it made it a little shinier, but the area remains dull and cloudy.

I will probably get in touch with the a dealer and try and get the area fixed while still under warranty.

Anyone else have this problem?
Scott 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #2

Actually it was just brought up by another camper. Keep me posted as I have one on order and I imagine I'll be going through this process next.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...964#post218964
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #3

Thanks, I hope that may dealer will be cooperative.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
Site Team

Dark Cap Gel Coat issues

Previous post:
If you have a cap with the dark gel coat, odds are VERY GOOD you will encounter the oxidation, no mater what wax or how many times you wax it. At the first indication of oxidation, take it in to an authorized dealer and have them contact Jayco. There are only 2 options for this, 1- Replace the entire cap 2- Remove ALL the Gel-coat down to the fiberglass and repaint it. When Jayco authorized the repainting of our cap, we selected a LIGHT color (matched the side color) and not the original dark color. This was the BEST decision we could have made!!!! On the original dark gel coat the temperature of the cap was over 200 degrees, with the new white painted cap, it has maxed out at 119 degrees. The interior is a LOT cooler with the light paint.
This made a BIG difference for the TT's AC usage and days when we just use a fan. With the dark cap, the TT would heat up to 90 in no time at all.

If you decide on a different color than the original dark color, Jayco will tell you that the cap will be warranted but the lighter color paint will not be warranted, but since the warranty was going to run out this August we did not care, AND the RV dealer that painted it has a 5 year warranty on the paint job!

Win win situation for us!

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #5

Had the same issue with my HT trailer. Took it to the dealer after 23 months of ownership. They contacted Jayco and got approval to get it painted at a local shop at a cost of $1,800. Paid by Jayco with no issues. My advice: get it done sooner than later.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:30 AM   #6

I wonder how the new paint jobs hold up? I assume I'll have to get mine done, and I will have it painted a light color.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:01 PM   #7

I can't imagine it's the color causing the issues, unless they're using house paint! The colors are fine, it sounds like it's more about a lack of clearcoat.
teevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #8

I think the heat being generated by these dark caps is accelerating the oxidation or chalking of the caps. You do see it on lighter color trailers, but not trailers only a year old. This is happening to all makes of trailers with dark caps in about 1 to 2 years. In this case I do think color has something to do with it. Perhaps a good clear coat would still protect it better but with as hot as these things get, its still going to break down quicker.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:28 PM   #9

Mustang65, you are in Florida, what dealer did you use and how much of a hassle was it approved by Jayco? I am in Florida also and know of dealers in Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Myers and St. Augustine.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #10

I used to paint cars and used automotive lacquers, enamels and urethanes and never had a finish, light or dark, oxidize within the first year, let alone three or four years for that matter. My dark gray truck as been sitting outside for three years without a problem except for stone dings and the occasional scratch, none of which are weather related. I would agree with teevman that the paint is of inferior quality or may lack a clear coat.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott 101 View Post
I used to paint cars and used automotive lacquers, enamels and urethanes and never had a finish, light or dark, oxidize within the first year, let alone three or four years for that matter. My dark gray truck as been sitting outside for three years without a problem except for stone dings and the occasional scratch, none of which are weather related. I would agree with teevman that the paint is of inferior quality or may lack a clear coat.
Obviously automotive paint is superior as is the process. Im not saying it isn't the poor paint or lack of clear coat. Im just saying that with these new dark caps, its happening significantly faster than it did on any of the lighter caps. If you consider all of the manufacturers are having problems with dark caps, and not all of them paint the same material or through the same process then i'd think color has something to do with it because its the common factor. Or unless they all stopped applying CC or stopped using quality paint at the same time.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
Site Team

Gel coat issues

The front caps are GEL coated, and yes they have a clear coat from the factory, according to the Jayco Dealer's paint and body shop that painted our 2013 cap. They also said that there are different grades of CLEAR COAT and obviously we can see that the RV industry is not using the top of the line products. He said that it runs about $130 a gallon for the best. They also indicated that there is research showing that Clear Coat should not be applied over a GEL coat, but the jury is still out on that one..

So, if your cap is starting to get a glaze or a HINT of a glaze on the top/upper front, take it to dealer and get the process started before the WARRANTY expires.

One last item, the paint and body shop said that ALL the GEL coat has to be removed down to the fiberglass prior to preparing for paint or you will be in for future issues.

He did say that Jayco is not the only mfr that has this issue.

Don
Old 07-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #13

Do they re gel-coat before repainting the cap or is it a different process?
teevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #14

Have the same issue on my 2013 26.5RLS and it's silver not the dark color so they were using crappy product. Jayco already authorized a repaint but it's a pain to have to wait for it and get it in between trips. Have a cracked counter top next to the stove I’m waiting for as well. Other then that it’s been a great rig!
Old 07-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevman View Post
Do they re gel-coat before repainting the cap or is it a different process?
They sand off the gel-coat, prep the fiberglass and paint it (no gel-coat). We decided to have them paint the cap the same color as the sides (color was computer matched).
Don
Old 07-11-2015, 09:58 AM   #16

Finish is garbage

My unit 375bhfs is less than a year old and the top front is a nightmare. Just finished the first leg (1200Miles) of a 2 month trip and was doing a wash and wax when I got up on the roof and saw it I almost fell over. Nothing helped, not wax or polish the finish is gone. I can't believe that with all the finish products out there this is happening. PS Dark Brown is the color.

Lots of little problems, wire harnes pinched by a screw and shorting out slider motor, Molding falling of, rocking chairs positioned so they ruin the wall (I designed and installed a chair rail for that), a screw popping throught the fiberglass. All this I can live with and fix or have fixed, but this is insanity.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0290.jpg   IMG_0291.jpg   IMG_0293.jpg  
jmj49 is offline   Reply With Quote