Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #1

Eagle HT 26.5 RLDS

I'm a travel trailer guy and so I'm not usually in this room but we're going to trade our Feather in the very near future and I'd like to get an opinion if possible.

We bought our Feather new two summers ago. It's our first trailer and, like most new folks, we didn't want to spend a fortune etc. etc. After camping in it for a while we have found it to be "cramped", which is why we're trading up. We have our eyes set on a Jay Flight 28RLS - rear living area, pull-out sofa for our daughter, lots of windows - really a nice trailer. Recently however an Eagle HT fifth wheel has crossed my path...very nearly the same floor plan as the Jay Flight, but obviously heavier and with one more slide. I'm not too worried about the extra weight as I drive a 2017 f350 6.2 gas, and I'm not too worried about the 5th wheel as the truck is an 8' bed with about 4200 in payload.

Here's my dilemma though:

I bought the Feather from a local dealer and I like them a lot. Reputable, highly-rated - just an all-around great place to do business with. Not the cheapest though. They offered a fair trade on the Feather and the 28RLS at 20% off the MSRP (we would be ordering to get the configuration we want). For what amounts to about $2000 more I can get a 2018 Eagle HT 26.5 RLDS from Camping World. The Camping World is not too too far from us - about 2.5 hours as opposed to an hour to the local dealer. The Eagle has only one A/C so CW would have to install a second unit (it's prepped), and I don't have a 5th wheel hitch (or prep in the Ford) so they would also have to install that (or I wouldn't be able to get the Eagle home ).

Man I am stuck. On the one hand the local guys are close and I have a prior relationship with them, but on the other hand they are more expensive and I can essentially get an upgraded camper for not a lot more money. Keeping in mind I've never dealt with anyone but the locals and that I've never owned or driven in front of a 5th wheel trailer can any of you vets out there tell me what I'm in for, pros and cons, sharp curves - anything really, so I don't go into this blind?

Thank you all.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #2

A good dealer that is willing to help you out and treat you fairly is worth a fortune. I would go with them since you already have a good relationship there. I have not dealt with Camping World, but I have read many horror stories on here about how awful they are. You are considering buying a brand new unit - chances are there will be some issues that will need to be corrected by the dealer, so keep that in mind. I would go with the 28RLS. It's cheaper, closer, and a better dealer.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #3

I have the Eagle HT 26.5 RLDS and like it very much. It has the 16" wheels and is a solid pull down the road with our 3/4 ton Silverado. It's just me and the wife and 2 dogs and we are very comfortable. At just 31' length, it is maneuverable and great for all federal and state parks (if they are open). Tough call on who to go with on the purchase but you certainly will be happy with the 5th wheel. Good Luck!

djmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:13 PM   #4

Personally I would stick with your local dealer who you in your words is "Reputable, highly-rated - just an all-around great place to do business with". Don't think you'll find that with Camping World.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #5

Killer, Good dealers are almost a Unicorn. If you have one, covet them. As for going from bumper trailer to 5th wheel, you will be amazed. You have the truck, no problem. As far as pulling a 5th wheel, it tracks a bit different in turn, which is easy to manage, it will brake basically the same as what you are used to, it will pull much better. As far as a hitch, there are a number of them to choose from. I am partial to the Morryde pin boxes mounted on my 5th wheels. They are common on Jayco 5th wheels. Just make sure you get a truck mounted 5th wheel hitch that somewhat exceed the weight capacity of the 5th wheel itself; i.e. 9,000 lbs 5th, get a 12,000 lbs rated hitch. Hope this helps you out some. Happy Camping and by all means, move up to a 5th wheel. SKIDAWG
2022 RAM 3500 6.7L
Ruger, Rhodesian Ridgebacks
ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:48 PM   #6

Seems from the replies I'm better off sticking with my local guy (literally - the person I deal with there is named Guy). Probably just have to bit down hard on the bullet and pay more. Only money though...ain't going to be buried with it.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:44 PM   #7

Or have that dealer match a price of one you want.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerIsMe View Post
Seems from the replies I'm better off sticking with my local guy (literally - the person I deal with there is named Guy). Probably just have to bit down hard on the bullet and pay more. Only money though...ain't going to be buried with it.
Guy? As in Rhones? If so, you want to buy from them. I drove 3 hours and paid more then my local mega dealer so I could have good sales and service. We love Rhones. Guy is great! We love Chuck the service tech and request him to do all our warranty and service work. We paid a little more and travel 3 hours each way for their awesome customer service. My local mega dealer is horrible for sales and service. Wouldn't send my worse enemy there. I'd rather spend my money at a mom pop dealership like Rhones than a mega dealer any day. When we go to Rhones they know our names. Well worth the little bit more money we spent. Guy had no problem working with Jayco to get some special request options that weren't an option. He definitely went above and beyond than our local dealer sales department. They couldn't even give me a straight answer on what money down was needed to order the trailer. Nor would they contact Jayco about the special options we wanted that wasn't options.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:04 PM   #9

Camping world has an extremely bad reputation nation wide. Do some searches on here and other sites. Most of the complaints I've read were after the sale service. Like warranty and service work.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Guy? As in Rhones? If so, you want to buy from them. I drove 3 hours and paid more then my local mega dealer so I could have good sales and service. We love Rhones. Guy is great! We love Chuck the service tech and request him to do all our warranty and service work. We paid a little more and travel 3 hours each way for their awesome customer service. My local mega dealer is horrible for sales and service. Wouldn't send my worse enemy there. I'd rather spend my money at a mom pop dealership like Rhones than a mega dealer any day. When we go to Rhones they know our names. Well worth the little bit more money we spent. Guy had no problem working with Jayco to get some special request options that weren't an option. He definitely went above and beyond than our local dealer sales department. They couldn't even give me a straight answer on what money down was needed to order the trailer. Nor would they contact Jayco about the special options we wanted that wasn't options.

Earl

Same Guy Earl. We're about an hour north of Rhones. When we bought the Feather we went to many, many dealerships. Some were OK, some not OK at all. We finally went down to Rhones one afternoon and that was it - we were sold on them. Parts people are great, service department is great, Guy is great (so are the other sales people we've talked to there). So we paid more for the trailer but got way more in terms of the dealership. So that's it then - Rhones it is! Thank you for setting my head on straight.

Tom

I am grateful for all your responses. Yeah I'll end up paying more but so what. I think I'll see if Rhones can come close to what I'd pay at some other dealerships. What I'd really like is a 2018 Eagle HT 265.5RLDS - I like the chestnut interior. Maybe they can hunt around a bit and trade with another dealer (Disclaimer: I don't know if RV dealers do that. Car dealers do, so it can't hurt to ask).
Old 01-25-2019, 04:27 PM   #11

We went from a Jayco TT 24FBS to a 26.5 RLDS fiver and just love the difference in handling. The fiver travels so much better. We bought both trailers from Camping World in Albuquerque, NM and couldn't be more satisfied. Yes there are some CW horror stories out there, but probably at most other dealers also. Good luck on your choice and get the one you feel best about. Check the reviews on your CW, and if okay, go for that really nice 26.5 RLDS. You will love it as my wife and I do. The 2nd AC is great and the fireplace is super! Love the Sanicon System also. 16" Goodyears are a must.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
We went from a Jayco TT 24FBS to a 26.5 RLDS fiver and just love the difference in handling. The fiver travels so much better. We bought both trailers from Camping World in Albuquerque, NM and couldn't be more satisfied. Yes there are some CW horror stories out there, but probably at most other dealers also. Good luck on your choice and get the one you feel best about. Check the reviews on your CW, and if okay, go for that really nice 26.5 RLDS. You will love it as my wife and I do. The 2nd AC is great and the fireplace is super! Love the Sanicon System also. 16" Goodyears are a must.

Happy RVing,
Jeff

That's great to hear my friend. I don't have any aversion to Camping World, just never went to one. I did contact a CW about a 26.5 though and they promised to email me the numbers. Instead they called with promises of my being happy, but no email and no numbers. I would much rather go over the numbers with my wife before talking to a salesman and the fact they didn't email me left me feeling a little clammy. First thing they said they would do they didn't and that just can't be a good sign.

Anyway we'll see how it goes. Where I live is rural rural. The people most would consider living "way the hell out there" think we live "way the hell out there". So pulling to a dealer an hour away for service is a big plus.

Tom
Old 01-25-2019, 06:26 PM   #13

I also live in rural country, about an hour away from our CW dealer in Albuquerque. IMHO, never believe the salesman and do your own research. Hold those guys to their promises. I've had to push real hard sometimes but I always kept good notes as to what was promised, by whom, and when they said it. It also helped me to get to know the Sales Mgr. and the General Manager as you may need to use them to get the deal you want.
I always shoot for 30% off msrp but have received 35% off on one deal. If you can find a new 2018, they are anxious to get that off their lot.
Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote