Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2018, 05:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
Thanks in large part to inputs received in another thread, I have settled in on purchasing a Ram 3500, Ford F350 or Chevy Silverado 3500 diesel to pull an Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS which has not been ordered.

From looking at the used truck mark in our area most of the trucks are 4x4’s

I was advised by the dealer to make sure that the truck bed was at least 6 foot. Is there anything else I should consider in either the truck or trailer as neither has been purchased at this time (i.e. larger trailer tires, airbags, specific fifth wheel hitches etc.)?

For those of you that have an Eagle HT Series 5th wheel and larger 4x4 truck did you have any trouble getting this combination to work with regards to level towing and sufficient clearance over the bed?
I just purchased a 2014 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi long bed for my 27.5 RTLS, after pulling with a 2500 Chevy 6 foot bed. I went with the long bed because the Pullrite slider hitch on my Chevy could only connect and disconnect within 10 degrees limiting setting up in a tight camp site. I now have an Anderson 3200 Rail Version can connect and disconnect at 90 degrees at only 40 lbs in weight makes it easy to remove. Went with gas because I use once a month short trips.
tedlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:43 AM   #22

I am on my third year of my 2016 27.5 RLS(actually 30' 10"length) and my Ford F350 6.5 bed, 6.7 power stroke, 4x4. As far as the F350, the F250 would do the job. The Max loaded weight of the 27.5 RLS is just under 10,000 lbs and would easily be towed by the F250. I weigh before each trip and the trailer comes in around 9300 lbs. fully loaded w/o water. Empty the trailer weighs about 8400 lbs.

I had the factory install the puck system in the bed of the pickup and have the Reese elite FW hitch, fixed in the puck system. I have the Reese Revolution pin box on my 27.5. I will admit there is a learning curve with the Reese Revolution hitch but once you get the hitching position figured out it is pretty easy. I went with the Revolution because I did not want to deal with a slider hitch. The turning radius of the Revolution is awesome and backing pretty much a breeze. Would be available to discuss this with you, send me an email.

I have the 3.0 leveling system and love it. I know it is just something else that could go wrong but if it broke down I would surely have it repaired or replaced. The key to the landing gear for me is to drop the front jacks about 6 to 7 inches, then adjust the legs to the 9 hole. By dropping the jacks first you will not run out of stroke.

16 inch Maxis tires is a no brainer, get the upgrade. 25,000 miles on the trailer and looking good but will replace this year just to be safe.

I did get the 50 amp service but you only need it if you are getting two air conditioners, which I did not. Camped in Kansas in route to Colorado this year and temp close to 100 degrees. Getting the unit cooled down during the late afternoon was a chore and could have used the 2nd air but this is unusual for us. Unit finally cooled a bit in the evening and sleeping was comfortable. The 50 amp cord is a pain in the ass. I adapt down to my 30 amp cord which is more manageable.

Overall, the Trailer is built with staples and pop rivets, just like they all are. My dealer was great with the warranty service but be prepared for long wait for parts with Jayco. They tell you about being Amish built, I told them you are giving the Amish a bad name. Overall, I would purchase the same unit as my belief is they all build the same. I think I got a pretty good deal as I played RV nation against my local dealer and my dealer caved to their price within $500 which was a deal as I get good warranty service and I would have had to travel 1000 miles round trip to pick up. Hope that helps, feel free to message me with any other questions.
AJP207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:05 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
Hi Redhorse,

In 20 years of RV trailer pulling... the only reason I’ve ever been glad to have 4x4 was for the low range option.

If an RV situation “requires” 4x4 for traction, you’re in trouble that a tow truck will likely be needed anyways.

Have fun out there
Not always.

There are quite a few CGs out there with steep, gravel driveways. And as someone else posted, some sites have 'bumps' to get out that have had me using my 4WD feature. None were 'tow truck' situations, just glad I had the 4WD.

I do admit that most CGs this is not an issue. They are more level with better driveways. And, yes, you can always just go to another CG.

I like the 4WD. Others would rather not have it (like my brother-in-law).
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #24

get the dodge with the cummins engine.hands down the best combination out there.fords will break the bank at maintenance time.8000.00 canadian to change injectors and the chevy is a little under powered although bullet proof.the allison transmission cant be beat.I just did a 600 mile trip in a chev with the allison tranny and it was good a liittle slow on the infamous Coquihalla hwy into the interior of BC.The fifth wheel is 11,000 lbs.But for my money the dodge is best hands down.
trento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:11 PM   #25

Hi planemaker.
We have a 2017 Eagle HT 27.5rlts and a 2016 Ford F-350 Lariat crew cab truck with a 6 3/4' box. I prefer that size box as an 8' box is too much and the 5 3/4' is not enough. We went with the crew cab as we take our three Labs with us camping and the extra room is nice. Just make sure you have a good 5" between the 5ver and the top of the box. You may need to adjust things to get that clearance.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:16 AM   #26

We have and 29.5 FBDS eagle HT and pull it with an 06 GMC Duramax crew cab 4 x 4. There’s lots of good advice previously posted I highly recommend the two air-conditioners. If you do any camping at all in the sunny state I believe it’s a must. The only thing I would like to point out, I’m not sure on the HT models if they will install the dual pane windows. We special ordered ours with dual pane windows and when we went to pick it up I noticed that they were not installed. We took our special order list and went over each point that we had special ordered and everything was good until we got to the windows. I don’t believe they were going to say anything unless I pointed them out and I believe it was six or $700 upgrade option. Just a word to the wise and enjoy your camping.
Lazyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post
Thanks in large part to inputs received in another thread, I have settled in on purchasing a Ram 3500, Ford F350 or Chevy Silverado 3500 diesel to pull an Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS which has not been ordered.

From looking at the used truck mark in our area most of the trucks are 4x4’s

I was advised by the dealer to make sure that the truck bed was at least 6 foot. Is there anything else I should consider in either the truck or trailer as neither has been purchased at this time (i.e. larger trailer tires, airbags, specific fifth wheel hitches etc.)?

For those of you that have an Eagle HT Series 5th wheel and larger 4x4 truck did you have any trouble getting this combination to work with regards to level towing and sufficient clearance over the bed?
I have a 2500 Dodge Ram with a 3" level kit installed and I have only 4 inches of separation between the box and overhead. But it tows level. I have an 8 foot box and have no trouble with any turning angle. I have seen a lot of short bed boxes that the trailer crumpled the cab of the truck when turning sharply.
GDBurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #28

12 years on are 06 Ram 3500 Dully 4x4 automatic,no complaints 160k!Tow 10k fiver dry weight.Well wish tires were not so expensive!Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote