Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2020, 02:24 PM   #1

Eagle HT 28.5RSTS Which truck; Which hitch & more

Decisions, decisions, decisions... My brain is in overload with so many questions. I'm thinking about buying an HT 28.5RSTS that is on a dealer's lot with some very nice options like back up camera and solar. But some things I just don't understand. The first thing I don't get is he didn't go with the 16" tire upgrade. With 15" tires, will I be able to get the camper to ride level attached to an F-250/350 or Ram 2500/3500? A few other things left me scratching my head but can easily be overcome. I haven't purchased the TV yet. But that leads to more help or advise. I'd like to stick with either the Ford 7.3 gas or Hemi 6.4. I really want to stay away from a diesel since it will spend most of it's time parked in the driveway which I think is not good. I've been told diesels want to be worked. I know the gassers are fine on flat roads but how will these do in the hills? Then finally how much of an angle can I achieve with a non slider B&W Companion hitch without blowing out my back glass? I really don't want a back breaking slider hitch to take in and out of the bed. My second choice would be the Pullrite 2600 similar to the Andersen.
02camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:47 PM   #2

Can't answer about the level, as I don't have that camper. My current 5th is a 2011 Superlite which was pretty level with my 2003 F250, sits a few inches nose high with my 2018 Ram. There is some trailer adjustment, but the heavier trucks, especially 4wd just sit higher.

Diesel's are fine sitting, just need to be sure to keep the tank full to prevent algae from growing. With a diesel emissions, they don't make good candidates for short trips to the store. Heat is what burns the soot in the DPF so it needs to travel to do that. Many will have an opinion on this you need to do what is best for you. Diesels pull better, but cost more upfront and more expensive to maintain. For me, I opted for the Diesel and mine sits quite a bit in the driveway too.

Get a long bed truck and you won't need to worry about contact with the trailer. In addition to your train of thought, would be something like a Sidewinder which is excellent for short bed trucks.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02camp View Post
Decisions, decisions, decisions... My brain is in overload with so many questions. I'm thinking about buying an HT 28.5RSTS that is on a dealer's lot with some very nice options like back up camera and solar. But some things I just don't understand. The first thing I don't get is he didn't go with the 16" tire upgrade. With 15" tires, will I be able to get the camper to ride level attached to an F-250/350 or Ram 2500/3500? A few other things left me scratching my head but can easily be overcome. I haven't purchased the TV yet. But that leads to more help or advise. I'd like to stick with either the Ford 7.3 gas or Hemi 6.4. I really want to stay away from a diesel since it will spend most of it's time parked in the driveway which I think is not good. I've been told diesels want to be worked. I know the gassers are fine on flat roads but how will these do in the hills? Then finally how much of an angle can I achieve with a non slider B&W Companion hitch without blowing out my back glass? I really don't want a back breaking slider hitch to take in and out of the bed. My second choice would be the Pullrite 2600 similar to the Andersen.
I have the same model trailer and my also came with the 15" wheels. I had to go with 16" wheels and I also had to move the springs to the lowest holes. This made the trailer a lot better but it still sits a little nose high.
gorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:28 PM   #4

Don't need larger wheels. you need a drop hitch.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:51 AM   #5

I have the 2018 28.5 RSTS pulled with a 2017 F250 4x4 short bed gasser. I am using a ProEagle non-slider hitch and can get at least 75 degrees of turn. I am not so much concerned with the FW hitting the back glass as I am with the hitch hitting the side rails. It does great even in the hills. The FW does have the 16” wheels and is set in the lowest hole and gives me a level ride. We’ve towed through TN and CO.
Attached Thumbnails
80BB11E6-6BBB-4E8F-A662-6B94E3C3BD0D.jpg  
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:14 AM   #6

I have spent a lot of time making my TV and 5th wheel level. I have dropped the camper to the lowest hole in the spring hanger (+1"). I added a Lippert Correct Track system (+2-1/4"). I added 16" tires from my 15" stock ones (+1.5"). I changed my Rear TV shackles and dropped the back of the Truck (1"+).

I have my hitch about at the top of travel (one more inch to go if needed) and I have 6" around the whole bed for clearance and the trailer rides level. It would have all be way easier if Jayco would design these trailers to be pulled with Modern Trucks that are all jacked up in the air.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
I have the 2018 28.5 RSTS pulled with a 2017 F250 4x4 short bed gasser. I am using a ProEagle non-slider hitch and can get at least 75 degrees of turn. I am not so much concerned with the FW hitting the back glass as I am with the hitch hitting the side rails. It does great even in the hills. The FW does have the 16” wheels and is set in the lowest hole and gives me a level ride. We’ve towed through TN and CO.
Thanks for the info and the pic. You are looking real good and level making me even more concerned about being nose high with 15" wheels.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
I have spent a lot of time making my TV and 5th wheel level. I have dropped the camper to the lowest hole in the spring hanger (+1"). I added a Lippert Correct Track system (+2-1/4"). I added 16" tires from my 15" stock ones (+1.5"). I changed my Rear TV shackles and dropped the back of the Truck (1"+).

I have my hitch about at the top of travel (one more inch to go if needed) and I have 6" around the whole bed for clearance and the trailer rides level. It would have all be way easier if Jayco would design these trailers to be pulled with Modern Trucks that are all jacked up in the air.
Thank you! This is exactly what I want to avoid. I think the reason Jayco designs the HT's this way is because they are called "Half Ton" campers. Of course we all know that's just about impossible.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:04 PM   #9

I have a 2017 Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS w/16" wheels. Tow it with a '16 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins and Andersen Ultimate. It is a bit nose high, but that is mainly because the auto-level in the truck raises it up a bit so the truck doesn't sag. Here out west with long mountain grades I wouldn't even consider a gasser. But that's just me. Got tired of hearing the V10 in our Class C screaming up grades doing 30 at near 7k rpm towing my Jeep Liberty. All the while getting 7mpg. So went the diesel/fw route.

As far as diesels wanting to be worked, mine sits a lot and is never any problem. This is my 3rd Cummins and rarely put over 5k per year on them. I just get it out every couple of weeks to stretch its legs a few miles. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:26 AM   #10

I have a HT 30.5MLOK and pull it with the new 2020 Ford F250 7.3 S/B. 16 inch wheels, just had the leafspring moved to the lower holes. I also use an Anderson Ultimate hitch. Just upgraded from the 6.2 gasser, also the 2020 is an inch shorter than the 2018. The new truck pulls the rig easily and level. No problems with turning clearance either! Here is a picture before the leafspring change. Will try to post an after picture soon, but it is perfectly level now.
Attached Thumbnails
20200510_124138-1.jpg  
Reese Goosebox
Pammac36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammac36 View Post
I have a HT 30.5MLOK and pull it with the new 2020 Ford F250 7.3 S/B. 16 inch wheels, just had the leafspring moved to the lower holes. I also use an Anderson Ultimate hitch. Just upgraded from the 6.2 gasser, also the 2020 is an inch shorter than the 2018. The new truck pulls the rig easily and level. No problems with turning clearance either! Here is a picture before the leafspring change. Will try to post an after picture soon, but it is perfectly level now.
So if I understand you correctly it's possible to have a level ride on the 15's by leaving the leafsprings in the holes that give the rv the tallest stance? Thanks for letting me know about the turning radius too. I don't plan on jack knifing it but not wanting to worry every time I put the truck in reverse.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
I have a 2017 Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS w/16" wheels. Tow it with a '16 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins and Andersen Ultimate. It is a bit nose high, but that is mainly because the auto-level in the truck raises it up a bit so the truck doesn't sag. Here out west with long mountain grades I wouldn't even consider a gasser. But that's just me. Got tired of hearing the V10 in our Class C screaming up grades doing 30 at near 7k rpm towing my Jeep Liberty. All the while getting 7mpg. So went the diesel/fw route.

As far as diesels wanting to be worked, mine sits a lot and is never any problem. This is my 3rd Cummins and rarely put over 5k per year on them. I just get it out every couple of weeks to stretch its legs a few miles. Good luck with whatever you decide.
I'm supposed to go talk to the Ram Fleet Mgr tomorrow. Who knows what might be coming to my driveway. I'm not completely against the diesel, I just feel like I don't put enough miles on it to justify the extra money.

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:30 PM   #13

The latest cap designs are great for tight turns. I have a standard bed no slider, and while I’m conscious of it, I’ve made some very tight turns without issue.

Also, I had an HT with 15” tires. I road a little nose high even in the small holes. I did thousands of miles like this will no bad effects.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:37 PM   #14

Quote:
I'm supposed to go talk to the Ram Fleet Mgr tomorrow. Who knows what might be coming to my driveway. I'm not completely against the diesel, I just feel like I don't put enough miles on it to justify the extra money.

Thanks for the info.
You're welcome. Like I said, it is mainly the monster grades here out west is why I went diesel. There are a few advantages to gas like much cheaper purchase price, no def fluid or regen stuff going on as well as much quicker warmups in winter.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:56 AM   #15

Hi, nice looking rig you have there.
How have you liked the rear Kitchen of the 30.5 MLOK?
David Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:42 AM   #16

Quote:
I haven't purchased the TV yet. But that leads to more help or advise. I'd like to stick with either the Ford 7.3 gas or Hemi 6.4. I really want to stay away from a diesel since it will spend most of it's time parked in the driveway which I think is not good. I've been told diesels want to be worked. I know the gassers are fine on flat roads but how will these do in the hills? Then finally how much of an angle can I achieve with a non slider B&W Companion hitch without blowing out my back glass? I really don't want a back breaking slider hitch to take in and out of the bed. My second choice would be the Pullrite 2600 similar to the Andersen.
We pull a fully loaded Eagle HT 25.5 REOK in the Texas hill country with a F350 CC short bed 7.3L gasser and it feels like we’re towing a utility trailer. Although we have not tested towing in Colorado mountains yet I can’t imagine a 28.5 RSTS limiting the performance of the 7.3L. The Andersen Ultimate Hitch permits 85-90 degree turning radius - pin box easily clears bed side rails only need to watch for cab clearance. Since this pic was taken I lowered the ball another inch to achieve a more level stance and it still provides 6-7 inches of clearance between top of bed rails and trailer. Good luck with your purchases!
Attached Thumbnails
62D00C4E-4F72-4E74-9625-252DA585AC4F.jpg  
atxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:08 AM   #17

Another thing I forgot to mention about diesels, is the exhaust brake if so equipped. It is a huge advantage over gas in mountains. I rarely use my brakes decending long grades and just use them for coming to a complete stop.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:42 AM   #18

Well, the tow vehicle question has been answered, meet Blanche.
Attached Thumbnails
20200619_165310.jpg  
Old 06-20-2020, 10:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxguy View Post
We pull a fully loaded Eagle HT 25.5 REOK in the Texas hill country with a F350 CC short bed 7.3L gasser and it feels like we’re towing a utility trailer. Although we have not tested towing in Colorado mountains yet I can’t imagine a 28.5 RSTS limiting the performance of the 7.3L. The Andersen Ultimate Hitch permits 85-90 degree turning radius - pin box easily clears bed side rails only need to watch for cab clearance. Since this pic was taken I lowered the ball another inch to achieve a more level stance and it still provides 6-7 inches of clearance between top of bed rails and trailer. Good luck with your purchases!
Thanks for the reply, it eases my worries over the 7.3.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
Another thing I forgot to mention about diesels, is the exhaust brake if so equipped. It is a huge advantage over gas in mountains. I rarely use my brakes decending long grades and just use them for coming to a complete stop.
Yes, the diesels I had both had an exhaust brake, a feature I will miss. Thankfully most of my towing is on flat land.