Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2018, 01:14 PM   #1

Eagle HT auto level

We have a 2017 28RSTS with the auto level system. When we are on even the slightest side to side angle, the system raises the unit up until the wheels are off the ground. Is this normal ?. I would think it would raise the low side to level and then lower the remaining jacks to stabilize the unit. I can level it manually and keep the wheels on the ground, but that defeats the purpose of auto levelers. Any thoughts ?
Capt Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #2

I have a level on the pin box. I will run the low side up on blocks to make it level from side to side before trying to level up. I also put Anderson trailer jack blocks under the back jacks to help avoid out of stroke.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:46 PM   #3

All wheels or just one side?
Make sure the rear sensor is attached firmly. Make sure the control which houses the front sensor is attached firmly. Then recalibrate the system to zero.
Use blocks under the Jack's to prevent out of stroke and slop. I use the Lego blocks.

*Important, make sure the front can lower when you auto level. If the front can't drop below level it will cause the system to respond crazy. It should drop the front below level and then raise it up to level then it will go from there.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:49 PM   #4

I never prelevel. I camp in fields and state parks with no issues. Allow the front to drop and using blocks under the jacks is all that is needed. She will level perfectly every time.

Earl
Line-X premium
Old 08-26-2018, 01:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
I never prelevel. I camp in fields and state parks with no issues. Allow the front to drop and using blocks under the jacks is all that is needed. She will level perfectly every time.

Earl
I do the same.

For the OP it could be that they are extending the front landing gear too far (with the pins) prior to unhooking. You have to give the system the ability to have stroke to lower the front while keeping things relative to the stroke of the rear jacks. If the system cannot lower the front jacks enough to drop the nose it will lift the entire trailer off the ground.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:08 PM   #6

Thanks, I may be lowering too much with the front pins. I will adjust it next trip out. I do put blocks under the rear.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dave View Post
Thanks, I may be lowering too much with the front pins. I will adjust it next trip out. I do put blocks under the rear.
I run my front jacks down 3 or 4 inches before dropping the legs. More if needed.

Earl
Old 08-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #8

That’s what I’m going to try, also it just lifts one side, usually
Old 08-26-2018, 06:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dave View Post
That’s what I’m going to try, also it just lifts one side, usually
If the site is off level enough it will put the low side wheels in the air. Happens to me often as I don't camp on level pads. At my house the low side is 3 or 4 inches off the ground and the trailer is perfectly level. My yard slops pretty good.

Earl
Old 08-26-2018, 07:54 PM   #10

Someone told me not to let the axles hang, that was my concern. Trailer was level, but wheels lifted even on slight angle. I think if I make a few changes to my setup it will improve.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:11 PM   #11

If I worried everytime my wheels were off the ground I'd have to sell the trailer. lol the way I camp it's quite often. No harm will come to the axles hanging in the air. They are cheaply made, but not that bad. lol if mid air harmed them think about 12k on them bouncing down the road. A lot of that is the lawyer small print. Much like not using the system to change a blow out. Done that many times on my previous trailer. Screw that bottle jack and blocks crap on the side of the highway. I can have the wheel off the ground faster than I can dig the jack out. Just installed wet bolts and xfactors the other day, had all the wheels in the air with the leveling system. No jacks and blocks. Took her up and threw some jack stands under it. Also had it hitched to the truck. Also dropped the suspension to the lower holes.

Earl
Line-X premium
Old 08-26-2018, 08:30 PM   #12

Thanks for all the help Earl