Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #1

Eagle HT height adjustment

Sorry if this has been beaten to death here, but we just got back into town from our maiden voyage with our Eagle 28.5 HT FW. I'm towing with a Dodge 2500 CTD. It definitely is towing a little "nose" high while going down the road. I dropped it off at my dealer when we got back into town and ask them to raise the trailer by using the adjustment on the spring hangers.

I currently have about 5 1/2" to 6" of clearance on the bed rails. 6" toward the front and 5" to 5 1/2" on the rear of the bed.

Being new to fifth wheels I'm not sure how much I will gain. Has anyone here gone through this process with any luck? It looks like there is at least a 1" to 1/2" to be gained in height on the trailer.

I only towed about 90 miles this morning after installing the TST pressure monitoring system and didn't notice any extreme temperature difference from the front or rear tires.

I know there is always the option of going 16" rims and tires to gain a little more height if necessary, but I just put 15" Maxxis E rated tires on the new FW so I feel pretty comfortable as far as tire quality is concerned.
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:39 PM   #2

You probably won't gain anything at the bed, unless you adjust the hitch down as well. Just lowering the springs in the hangers will raise the rear by the difference between the upper and lower holes. Without hitch adjustment, front stays the same. You may get to a point where you have a consistent 6"'. Only way to get more bed clearance is to drop the hitch.

I have a 2015 F-350 and had them put springs in lower holes and drop the hitch as low as it would go. I've never really measured, but I'm level enough for me and it tows well.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:57 PM   #3

Have same problem with my 28.5 rsts pulled with 2016 Ram 2500 4x4, mine was so bad I dragged rear bumper backing into driveway. First thing I did was Raise pinbox 1inch, lowered spring mounts, put 235 80 16 wheels and tires on, then I put 2" spacer block between spring and axel. Now it sits level,
buffaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:27 AM   #4

Wow......if I had of known this was going to be so costly and difficult, I would have gone with a different FW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloo View Post
Have same problem with my 28.5 rsts pulled with 2016 Ram 2500 4x4, mine was so bad I dragged rear bumper backing into driveway. First thing I did was Raise pinbox 1inch, lowered spring mounts, put 235 80 16 wheels and tires on, then I put 2" spacer block between spring and axel. Now it sits level,
Old 10-11-2016, 06:04 AM   #5

WOW is right

This is my first 5th wheel been doing TT for 35 years. I also would have looked for something that fit better if I had known. My Ram cam with factory 5th wheel prep which adds 2 inches to 5th wheel height do to the adapter.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
You probably won't gain anything at the bed, unless you adjust the hitch down as well. Just lowering the springs in the hangers will raise the rear by the difference between the upper and lower holes. Without hitch adjustment, front stays the same. You may get to a point where you have a consistent 6"'. Only way to get more bed clearance is to drop the hitch.

I have a 2015 F-350 and had them put springs in lower holes and drop the hitch as low as it would go. I've never really measured, but I'm level enough for me and it tows well.
I should also mention that I ordered my fifth wheel with the 16" wheel option to give me the most height possible from the factory.

My old trailer contacted the old truck bed a few times throughout the years, so I knew that I wanted to get as much clearance as I could. While we were on roads and in areas that we probably had no business being in, it happens from time to time, and I want the odds in my favor as much as possible.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:04 AM   #7

I'm going to talk to the Discount Tire guys and see if I can get any credit back out of the new 15" Maxxis that I just installed. If I can, I will most likely order some 16" Maxxis and buy some rims from them to install. I really like this FW. I just need to get it right before we head out on a long trip. Thanks for all the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
I should also mention that I ordered my fifth wheel with the 16" wheel option to give me the most height possible from the factory.

My old trailer contacted the old truck bed a few times throughout the years, so I knew that I wanted to get as much clearance as I could. While we were on roads and in areas that we probably had no business being in, it happens from time to time, and I want the odds in my favor as much as possible.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #8

We have a 2016 27.5 rlts. As much as I tried beforehand to get the trailer etc setup before we picked it up all they said was it will be fine not to worry. Well when went to pick it up it wasn't fine. They had to lower the springs as you are thinking of doing and adjust the pin box and hitch and in the end a few hours later it was OK. It still isn't level but it isn't too bad, but bed rail clearance is too close for my comfort.

After some long hauls my tpms shows the same as yours. The tire temp difference is nonexistent. The only temp difference I can see is it depends on which side the sun is on and at night they are all the same within 1deg.

You mentioned larger tires and wheels which could certainly help. However you not only need to get larger wheels for the 16 inch tires you will also need to get larger tires as in up a size or two. IIRC the stock size on the 15inch tires 225/75/15 is 28.2" diameter. So the next size up in 16s 235/85/16 will get you in the 30.5ish inch. So yes you will gain an inch or a bit more but you will also lose an inch plus on clearance from the top of the tire to the bottom of the trailer which doesn't seem to be overly large to begin with. Taller tires don't do you much good if they are hitting the bottom of the trailer on every bump. So you may want to verify that you have enough room there for larger tires and don't forget the spacing between the tires. I think it is 33" axle center to axle center you probably shouldn't go larger than 31.5ish inch due to that measurement.

Another option that hasn't been raised at least yet on this thread is to put a sub frame on the trailer. It may be cheaper than new wheels and tires. 5 new wheels and 5 new tires looking at what 1000.00. I was quoted $700 for a sub frame on my trailer. While I haven't done it yet due to getting ready to purchase a new truck next month I am thinking hard about going that route. Then I am assured it will be the correct height, will allow me to use larger tires without an issue as long as I keep in mind the axle spacing if I choose to later. And I can be sure that my bedrail to fiver clearance is adequate which like yours now is a bit on the low side.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:32 AM   #9

I'm going to wait and see what it looks like after they adjust the springs before I make the call on larger tires. 16" Maxxis tires are an option on the 2017 HT so I assume there is adequate clearance for the larger tires and rims.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:50 AM   #10

I can sympathize with the measures buffaloo took. My last RV was my 5'er. I was towing with a Ford F-250 LB. The first year I had the RV I had to lower the springs, do an axle flip and put 2 inch blocks between the axles and springs (I essentially gave my 5er a complete lift).
I tend to take my RV's into more places than most people are willing to go with an RV. By the time I was done with my 5er, I had skid plates protecting the BW and GW tanks and drains; welded new axle brackets so I could separate the axles by 2 more inches, and had 6 inch steel roller wheels at the back corners attached to the frame.
I have since gone back to a TT because I have found that while a 5er tows better, turns better and is usually easier to hook up, I do not have the vertical travel clearance at the hitch point in uneven terrain alot of the time.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:14 AM   #11

That's some extreme camping right there. But......having been to Alaska twice on hunting trips, I can understand the need for something that can take some abuse. It's definitely the Last Frontier and I love it up there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
I can sympathize with the measures buffaloo took. My last RV was my 5'er. I was towing with a Ford F-250 LB. The first year I had the RV I had to lower the springs, do an axle flip and put 2 inch blocks between the axles and springs (I essentially gave my 5er a complete lift).
I tend to take my RV's into more places than most people are willing to go with an RV. By the time I was done with my 5er, I had skid plates protecting the BW and GW tanks and drains; welded new axle brackets so I could separate the axles by 2 more inches, and had 6 inch steel roller wheels at the back corners attached to the frame.
I have since gone back to a TT because I have found that while a 5er tows better, turns better and is usually easier to hook up, I do not have the vertical travel clearance at the hitch point in uneven terrain alot of the time.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryg View Post
Another option that hasn't been raised at least yet on this thread is to put a sub frame on the trailer. It may be cheaper than new wheels and tires.
Something I'll point out -> while I ordered with 16" wheels for the additional height, that was only half the story. The other half is having 16" wheels, so that when I need to replace the factory tires, I have wheels that will easily support me getting LT tires.

I'll never put a trailer tire on my fifth wheel ever again.....
Old 10-11-2016, 01:53 PM   #13

I talked to the Discount Tire folks and they will give me a prorated amount back on the 15" Maxxis tires I just recently purchased through them. He ask me about the bolt pattern of the wheels and for the life of me I couldn't remember if they are 5 or 6 lug wheels.

What are the advantages / disadvantages of LT tires vs. trailer tires? I know there is a big debate about which should be used on trailers. If LT are a better option, I would like to know.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:20 PM   #14

LT

If you have the means go with a good E range LT tire because all ST tires including Goodyear Marathon are from China. I did put ST china tires on mine E range because before I went for my lungs I wanted to see how it worked out. Only cost $265 for all 4 shipped going on a 5000 mile trip next week so I will see how they work, first sign of trouble and LT go on.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:22 PM   #15

BTW you have 6 lug wheels
Old 10-11-2016, 03:49 PM   #16

I hope I can help. There are several threads about raising the rear and lowering the nose of a typical Eagle HT on this site. The owners of the model 29.5BHDS have many threads available, of which I've also contributed.

We have gone through all the issues you're having, and ended up having a sub frame installed. Our trailer is now leveled with our Ram 2500 HD. It would be good, also, if you post some pics of your trailer and truck, it would be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
I'm going to wait and see what it looks like after they adjust the springs before I make the call on larger tires. 16" Maxxis tires are an option on the 2017 HT so I assume there is adequate clearance for the larger tires and rims.
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1460469140892.jpg  
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #17

Endless debate on LT vs ST tires. Everyone has their own opinion. Here's mine:

My old fifth wheel was a 285 Sandpiper bunkhouse that was 33' long. It came with 15" wheels and load range D tires that equaled the GVWR of the trailer. Had a few blowouts in the first couple years. Put E range ST tires on it thinking it would be better. After several more blowouts, got ticked off, bought some 16" wheels and bought some cheaper Dunlop LT tires. Put those on and never even had a flat for the next several years. I average 5,000 miles a year on the trailer.

There is always discussion about sidewalk strength, tire scrubbing, UV residence, etc.

For me, it's pure performance. Personally, I don't think trailer tires are made to the same quality standards as LT tires.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #18

Well.....my dealer raised the FW approximately 1 1/2" via the spring hangers today. I now have a good 6" clearance between the top of the tailgate and the FW. I also order five 16" Maxxis 8008 E rated tires. The extra 2" of tire height should put me in pretty good shape.
I'm running out of $$$$ for this FW deal, so I'm going to have to live with it for a while after this......good bad or otherwise.

I'll try to get some pic with the FW hooked up after the tires are installed. It will probably be this coming weekend before it gets done.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:05 AM   #19

You will only get app 1" with the tires as the height difference has to be split with the top of tire
Old 10-12-2016, 06:13 AM   #20

That is what I wanted to do, but I want to get all issues with NEW trailer fixed before doing that. Did you make that sub frame or buy it? I heard there is a shop in Indiana that makes them with hangers already on, but could not find out who. That looks like about a 4" frame, is it? I also have the Ram 2500 TD and they sit very high.