Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-16-2021, 08:01 PM   #1

Eagle HT landing gear

Had a wtf moment today with our 2021 Eagle HT. It was in the yard and autoleveled. I went to hook up the truck to trailer so I reached in the baggage door, turned on battery disconnect, turned on the Ground Control 2.0 touch pad and hit the hitch height button. Immediately rear jacks started coming up. As they were coming up I walked around the back of the camper and moved the drop legs up. As I rounded the camper I realized that the stairs were still out and down. Admittedly, they did bind a little against the bottom of the closed door. It doesn’t appear there was any damage there, I got lucky I think. I then wondered why the camper dropped so much on that side anyway. Upon walking around the front, I realized that for some reason, the hitch height button pulled up both rear jacks and the right front landing gear leaving the left front being the only one touching the ground!

I immediately logged onto my phone and used the Jayco App to lower the right front landing gear on its own to the ground. I have no idea how or why that happened. I hope nothing twisted in the front and broke. I didn’t see anything and the unit sat fine on the truck and towed fine. I guess time will tell. Just thought I’d throw out there, make sure your steps are up and keep a close eye on your landing gear when the system is operating. I have never had anything like this happen before.
Loomis077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 05:06 AM   #2

Sounds like the jack continued to try and lower the front without success because the stairs prevented it. Thanks for sharing because this is probably something that could/will happen to me too. One more thing to remember/watch out for.
I've made a checklist for all this stuff but just like when I make shopping lists, I forget to take it when I go to the store.
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 05:42 AM   #3

While I certainly understand what you are saying about the stairs, they were not bound up enough that I was able to slightly open the door and I was able to release the levers on the bottom of the stair levelers to release the tension. I’m also doubtful that the stairs would support the front weight of the coach without it bending at least the bottom of the door flange. The landing gear leg on the drivers side was at the right height for connecting the truck. The passenger side ran itself up almost to where it would have been 6” of so off the ground.

I know right before I used my phone to auto level it where it was sitting in my yard, it did a firmware update. I’m concerned it could have been something in that update that isn’t right, so I guess I’ll keep an eye on it. I get the camper back from the dealership today so I’ll look the door and the stairs over really well again before I park it for winter. Keeping my fingers crossed since I didn’t see anything yesterday afternoon wrong with it.
Loomis077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:16 AM   #4

I had a similar issue happen before on my 2107 Eagle HT. 1 of my front legs stayed up while the other extended. nothing was in the way or obstructed. It freaked me out and I quickly cancelled the event and retracted the 1 front leg. It has never happened again?!?!?
Old 11-18-2021, 05:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loomis077 View Post
Had a wtf moment today with our 2021 Eagle HT. It was in the yard and autoleveled. I went to hook up the truck to trailer so I reached in the baggage door, turned on battery disconnect, turned on the Ground Control 2.0 touch pad and hit the hitch height button. Immediately rear jacks started coming up. As they were coming up I walked around the back of the camper and moved the drop legs up. As I rounded the camper I realized that the stairs were still out and down. Admittedly, they did bind a little against the bottom of the closed door. It doesn’t appear there was any damage there, I got lucky I think. I then wondered why the camper dropped so much on that side anyway. Upon walking around the front, I realized that for some reason, the hitch height button pulled up both rear jacks and the right front landing gear leaving the left front being the only one touching the ground!

I immediately logged onto my phone and used the Jayco App to lower the right front landing gear on its own to the ground. I have no idea how or why that happened. I hope nothing twisted in the front and broke. I didn’t see anything and the unit sat fine on the truck and towed fine. I guess time will tell. Just thought I’d throw out there, make sure your steps are up and keep a close eye on your landing gear when the system is operating. I have never had anything like this happen before.
I have experienced something somewhat similar, my campsite landing gear retracted once when using Auto Level. My stairs were up and out of the way, so good there. I put the leg down and did an Auto Level again and it worked fine.

2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS
Little5ver is offline   Reply With Quote