Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #1

Eagle HT pin box height?

We have a new 2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS on order. We will be towing with an 2015 Chevy 2500 HD double cab short bed Duramax.

I am currently shopping for a fifth wheel hitch as we are upgrading from a TT. I am looking at both Reese and Curt slider fifth wheels. There are a couple of different choices in each line - one with a single bar lock and one with a double curved jaw lock. The single bar lock style has a lower profile and I don't want to be way nose high going down the road. This leads into question one.

Does anyone have any idea what the height (actually it's an adjustable range) is of the pin box (pin plate actually) on an Eagle HT? We ordered ours with the Morryde cushioned pin box if that matters? Doesn't seem like it should...

Right now my first choice is the Curt slider fifth wheels it has 12" of rearward movement (vs. 10" for Reese square tube) and the profile of the base immediately over the rail looks much lower than the Reese and my actually clear my toolbox.

So, second question: pluses and minuses on Reese vs. Curt fifth wheels?
wfd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #2

The only advise I can offer on this is the single bar lock is a better locking system than the double curved jaw system. Once the single bar is locked in, the trailer is not coming out of the hitch. Watched the guys at Camping World drop a new 5er on the truck be because the double curved jaw wasn't fully locked.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #3

Well, that's interesting and kind of counter intuitive. The double jaw is marketed as superior and subsequently carries a higher price tag. Heavy truck fifth wheels are one or the other depending on manufacturer.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:15 AM   #4

Yes, I have always heard the double jaw locks rode much better also - less jarring, etc...

Are there any changes on the 2017 27.5 rlts from 2016? Pin weight change at all? My wife and I have been looking real close at that model; love it!
citgodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:40 AM   #5

There is a post of the new for 2017 features on here. A few upgrades (32" tv changed to 39"), genuine Corian counter tops as the option, a couple interior colors replaced with new ones, exterior color change, and a few more.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfd44 View Post
We have a new 2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS on order. We will be towing with an 2015 Chevy 2500 HD double cab short bed Duramax.

I am currently shopping for a fifth wheel hitch as we are upgrading from a TT. I am looking at both Reese and Curt slider fifth wheels. There are a couple of different choices in each line - one with a single bar lock and one with a double curved jaw lock. The single bar lock style has a lower profile and I don't want to be way nose high going down the road. This leads into question one.

Does anyone have any idea what the height (actually it's an adjustable range) is of the pin box (pin plate actually) on an Eagle HT? We ordered ours with the Morryde cushioned pin box if that matters? Doesn't seem like it should...

Right now my first choice is the Curt slider fifth wheels it has 12" of rearward movement (vs. 10" for Reese square tube) and the profile of the base immediately over the rail looks much lower than the Reese and my actually clear my toolbox.

So, second question: pluses and minuses on Reese vs. Curt fifth wheels?
With my eagle HT 29.5bhds sitting level my hitch is about 49" inches but I have the Reese revolution hitch not sure if the Morryde will be a little lower or not.
Attached Thumbnails
2016-03-07 18.23.09.jpg  
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 diesel
Camping_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #7

I think he meant this one:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f4...nts-34791.html

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:00 AM   #8

Does anyone know at what point they will be building 2017's? Our Eagle HT 28.5BHXB is due off the line any day, I'm wondering if it will be a 16 or 17?
Krusegroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:40 PM   #9

Mine came off the line today 28.5 RSTS its a 2016 as far as I know pick up friday
sobuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:19 PM   #10
tld

WFD44, I took delivery of my 2016 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS in January. While I am pulling it with a 2015 Ford F250 4x4 with a 6ft 7in bed, and not the Chevy, some of what I experienced may apply to you and your rig. Just as a side note, I went with the Reese 18K Elite Series and the Reese Revolution combination. And I love it! But here is the problem that I struggled with. Even with my Reese 18K Elite set to it its lowest setting (14.5 inches above the bed) I was still about 4 to 5 inches nose high. And I got 16 inch wheels on the fiver which gave me a little more frame height. I don't know if this is true, because I didn't do any measuring between HTs and bigger fivers, but my dealer implied that the Eagle HT (HT standing for half-ton) is designed to tow behind a half-ton truck and so height wise, will not set as well in a 3/4 ton truck, especially a 4x4 since they set a little higher anyway. So, to solve the problem, the dealer used the adjustment option on the Jayco frame and raised the frame by about two and one half inches. Now, with a little squat on my truck when the fiver is hooked up, I am riding level. But the changing of the axel and frame connection was no small job. It took a couple of guys over two hours to do it. So, make sure that your dealer agrees to make this adjustment for you as part of your purchase price, if you need to have it done. And, make sure that whatever hitch you get will adjust down to about 14 inches - not all of them do and you might just need that extra margin.
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:20 PM   #11

Wfd44, we requested our unit be set in the bottom bracket hole (the adjustment described above) from the factory. Hopefully it will show up that way. You might have your dealer contact Jayco and request the higher setting.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:29 PM   #12

I asked my dealer to do that after reading all these posts about 3/4 tons pulling HT's, and was told "We'll change the axle position and make any other adjustments necessary once we hook it up to your truck, no problem". Guess I'll find out in a few weeks...

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:08 PM   #13

The HT designation is a bit ambitious in reality. I think there may be one or two models on the small end that you might tow with a very well equipped 1/2 ton, but beyond that, no way. Also, when did the model numbers stop making any sense? We're getting the 28.5 BHXB which is longer, heavier, and has a longer wheelbase than the 29.5 models. I'm used to travel trailers where the numbers equated to interior length......��
Old 04-12-2016, 08:23 PM   #14

Thanks everyone for the help. Looks like the leading contender is the Curt E-16 slider hitch with the single slide jaw latch. Installed height is adjustable from 14-17 inches.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:32 PM   #15

I have recently just ordered a new jayco eagle ht 29.5 fbds and wondering the same thing about the height and was wondering about the cord as if it's long enough to reach the bumper 7 way connector as I am transitioning from travel trailer to fifth wheel I own a 2005 gmc 2500 and it's typical lower than any other 3/4 ton out there almost more like half ton height
Sanchezeagleht17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS1115 View Post
The only advise I can offer on this is the single bar lock is a better locking system than the double curved jaw system. Once the single bar is locked in, the trailer is not coming out of the hitch. Watched the guys at Camping World drop a new 5er on the truck be because the double curved jaw wasn't fully locked.
I have to disagree, after owning a Drawtite,and Reese, I went with a B&W Companion, and it is buy far tighter with no slop, with 1" double locking jaws. It is a little heavy, but breaks down in 2 pieces to set in the truck.
With my 2013 Eagle HT 26.5 I had to set it back 3" from the center adjustment, since Jayco does not have angled corners on the front cap.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchezeagleht17 View Post
I have recently just ordered a new jayco eagle ht 29.5 fbds and wondering the same thing about the height and was wondering about the cord as if it's long enough to reach the bumper 7 way connector as I am transitioning from travel trailer to fifth wheel I own a 2005 gmc 2500 and it's typical lower than any other 3/4 ton out there almost more like half ton height
I had to use my bumper connector this year (long story) and although my 5th is different and my Ford is probably taller I can't imagine the cord wouldn't be long enough for you - there was a lot of length left that I had to secure in the bed.
Max & Mocha May - Chesapeake Bay Retrievers
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #18

That's what I thought just seeing adapters that go up in the bed
Sanchezeagleht17 is offline   Reply With Quote