Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2017, 10:22 AM   #1

Eagle HT power outlets

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has ever gone through this problem and could possible give me a hand. We have a 2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS. We started opening up the trailer for our camping season but it seems that some outlets in the fifth wheel are not working. I have gone through many troubleshooting steps but haven't been able to pinpoint the problem.

All outlets that are NOT GFCI are not working. All outlets that are GFCI work no problem. I have checked breakers and fuses to make sure nothing in my panel is wrong and all seems well there. Am I missing something else?

Thanks in advance for any comments/help!
redbarons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:51 PM   #2

Try pressing the test then reset on the GFCI outlets. Sometimes they control other outlets.
J-M Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:25 PM   #3

If they're all on the same circuit they're probably daisy chained. All you need is one loose wire on the first one and none of the others down the line will have power. Try checking for loose wires by removing the outlets starting with the one closest to the panel.

Remember, the problem may be at a functioning receptacle with the loose wire being the one that leaves it and goes on to others.

Be sure your trailer is powered down when you start fooling around in there!
Old 05-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #4

I did the GFCI test a few times before writing the post and still had nothing. I will definitely try to open up the outlets and check them one by one. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:28 PM   #5

Update: I went into the trailer this evening to check the outlets. Here are my findings. I have three outlets that are not GFI working (tow bunk and the one under the dinette). I also did some tests and it appears that the lights in the RV all work when I am running on battery but none of them work when I am plugged in. I still have not found my problem with the outlets but it is hard to see if any wires are loose as these outlets that jayco uses are not exactly the top of the line. (see picture attached). Why there are 3 wires in these types of outlets is beyond me, there is NO room for 2 let alone 3!

Thanks for any input/comments to what I might be dealing with!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2558.jpg  
Old 05-09-2017, 06:48 PM   #6

The three wire thing is where one branches off into two directions. Yeah, those receptacles are real junk. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you find out that one of those connections is bad. The easiest way to check that would be to turn on the power after the receptacle has been removed and carefully check voltage going in and out. Pulling them out and wiggling things around may make things start working again though it's not a good way to "fix" it. Any chance of changing these out and installing decent receptacles while you have them removed? Are you ok with that sort of thing?

Your 12V lighting not working when on shore power makes no sense. I can't understand why the battery would stop putting out power when you're plugged in. Perhaps there are relays or something I'm not familiar with in the larger RVs...anyone?
Old 05-11-2017, 07:34 PM   #7

Thank you to all those who replied, we finally found the outlet that was faulty, one of the wires must of come undone in those boxes. Still don't get why they stuff 3 wires in those as it so tight in there. Max of two should be in those. I understand they want to save wire to save some $$$ but those should not house 3 wires. Once again thank you for your feedback and help!
Old 05-11-2017, 09:38 PM   #8

Three wires are hot, neutral and ground...or are you saying three lines (9 wires) are housed in one box ?

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Three wires are hot, neutral and ground...or are you saying three lines (9 wires) are housed in one box ?
from the looks of the pic it appears that there are three lines going into that receptacle
Old 05-12-2017, 04:05 AM   #10

Yes sorry I meant three lines so 9 wires in one box. I have two boxes in the trailer with 3 lines. One in the TV cabinet(one is power from the bunk area, one goes to the outside fridge outlet and the other feeds a wall outlet in the living area wall). The living area wall I have 3 lines (one is power from the tv cabinet, 1 goes to junction box that feeds bedroom slideout outlet, 1 bedroom ceiling outlet for TV). I was able to now make my own wiring diagram from opening up all of these so if this happens again it'll be easier to pinpoint the problem.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #11

Sounds like you've done a good job...planning for future outages!
Old 05-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #12

Once you are OFF warranty, Jayco will gladly send you your factory wiring diagram, but not until your warranty has completely expired.... I know. It make no sense to any of us.....

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:05 PM   #13

They sent me mine and it's still under warranty. As well as plumbing and some other info. 12 PDF files in all.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote