Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2018, 05:08 PM   #1

Eagle HT Series: 15” or 16” wheels?

It seems to me anything you can do to increase the distance for the bed rails is a good thing. As I understand it, the axles are up one hole to accommodate the 16” and the 15” are set to the highest setting.
The F150 I have has an extra leaf spring, and consequently it seems rather tall.
Anyone running 16” and pulling with a half ton?
Half Ton Heavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Ton Heavy View Post
It seems to me anything you can do to increase the distance for the bed rails is a good thing. As I understand it, the axles are up one hole to accommodate the 16” and the 15” are set to the highest setting.
The F150 I have has an extra leaf spring, and consequently it seems rather tall.
Anyone running 16” and pulling with a half ton?
Although I don't quite match up to your question, I don't think you will have a problem. My F350 is inches taller than my leveled 4x4 150. My Eagle HT has 16" wheels and it still has plenty of space at the middle ball height on the Andersen Ultimate.

The only issue I have with the 16" inch wheels is my X-Chocks barely fit between the tires.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:34 PM   #3

The good thing about 16's is you have a lot more options for tires. I personally would go 16's.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:01 PM   #4

Eagle HT Series: 15” or 16” wheels?

I have 16” wheels on my Eagle and tow with a 1/2 ton Chevy. My Eagle is a travel trailer not 5th wheel but here’s my experience.

The hitch is adjustable so no problem towing with bigger wheels and like the extra ground clearance but 2 things to note.
1 - having a higher hitch means when tailgate is open it hits the trailer hitch ball but for me doesn’t do any damage to tailgate (whew).
2 - taller tires but same sized stabilizer jacks mean need more blocks needed if site not perfectly level so carry a few extra blocks.

The extra ground clearance helps when transitioning dips and unlevel ground so I prefer the bigger tires.
AndyHetzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:41 PM   #5

Always, always always go with 16". Much cheaper then buying later. More tire options. Higher trailer. All great things. Also get the second AC!!

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Always, always always go with 16". Much cheaper then buying later. More tire options. Higher trailer. All great things. Also get the second AC!!

Earl
X2
gorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Although I don't quite match up to your question, I don't think you will have a problem. My F350 is inches taller than my leveled 4x4 150. My Eagle HT has 16" wheels and it still has plenty of space at the middle ball height on the Andersen Ultimate.

The only issue I have with the 16" inch wheels is my X-Chocks barely fit between the tires.
What size tires are you running? I'm about to pull the trigger on 16" wheels for our HT and was wondering about being able to fit the x-chocks
Mike&Cora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Cora View Post
What size tires are you running? I'm about to pull the trigger on 16" wheels for our HT and was wondering about being able to fit the x-chocks
I have an HT fifth wheel and have 235/85R16 tires and the X-chocks fit, but it is a close fit.
gorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #9

Quote:
The trailer isn't at home, but I believe they are the same size gorpie quoted.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #10

Thanks for the info
Mike&Cora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the info
Found a picture I took at the dealership the day I bought it. ST235/85R16 Goodyear Endurance.
Attached Thumbnails
Endurance.jpg   ST235 85R16.jpg