Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2018, 07:57 AM   #81

4wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmj49 View Post
You may find times when a 4 wheel drive will get you out of difficult situations even though you may never off road. This has been my experience.
I totally agree, I won't even own a vehicle that's not 4WD or AWD!
I have needed it with my TT when it's raining while driving not to mention all the other reasons already posted.

I believe my 15' F-250 6.2 Super Duty gasser would pull the 5er just fine.
I don't like the extra maintenance and gas price of owning a diesel and my truck is my everyday driver.

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #82

I have a 21 foot TT and a jeep to tow it with. Now that is what I call true camping. An off road vehicle and a place to rest the head. Cool beans! All wheel drive is the way to go.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:03 PM   #83

My 2 cents in this:

1. Go with the diesel, the extra power is worth it when it comes time to putting the hammer down. (Not speeding, but those situations where a car does something stupid and you need to get it done). Big hills will make a difference too!.

2. Buy a new truck, don't go used. The engines in the older trucks don't have the raw power that a new truck has.. of course this isn't always true but unless you are an engine guy that knows all the details its better to be safe than sorry.

2a. Another reason to buy a new truck is that in general trucks and used for work and can get beat up. So if you get a used diesel from a farmer who has been driving it through the field every day.. it's going to have wear and tear.

2b. You should be able to get a least 10,000 off a new truck.. if the dealer isn't willing to come down at least that much walk out the door.

3. If you are looking at a HT Jayco with a 3QT truck I wouldn't worry about payload at all.

4. If you are looking at a 1T truck make sure you do your research so that you understand the difference between a 3/4T and 1T. In many cases its pretty much the same truck/engine with a different suspension in the back. On Ram's for example, the 1T has a leaf spring I think vs a 3/4 that has coil. The 1T will hold more but it's a rougher ride.. so if you are pulling a trailer for vacation purposes that smoother ride will make the wife more happy.

5. Don't forget about the importance of the hitch that needs to be mounted in your truck. If your truck bed isn't long enough you are going to have to deal with sliders etc. Also whoever installs your hitch, make sure they what they are doing.. this is not where you go cheap. If you buy a new truck you need to make sure the installer knows what they are doing and has the information from the manufacturer to install the hitch. Don't assume that a new truck can be ordered with the correct holes in the correct spot for the type of RV that you are looking at. You really need to do your research there to make sure that it is installed correctly. Also don't let the dealership make the decision for you, if they do it they are just going to outsource it to somebody locally.. make sure you know how that is and if they are qualified to do it.

The good news is you have given yourself a lot of time to research.. the best advice I can give is to trust no one. lol Remember that the truck dealership is trying to sell you a truck, so they will tell you that it will work with everything etc. The RV dealership will tell you any truck can pull the RV, don't trust them. You have to do the work to figure it all out, kind of sucks but it's worth it knowing it all.
Jarnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:28 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planemaker View Post

This leaves me with two choices:
1. Upgrade to Ram 3500 or F350 - diesel
or
2. Go with a gas powered rig
My 2 cents:

Many believe the difference between f250-350 (or equivalent) comes down to very little physical differences in the truck. With the weight of trailer you are pulling, I doubt you would notice any difference towing with the 3/4ton or 1ton. I think the bigger difference would be the single rear wheel -v- dual rear wheel. If you are going the single rear wheel route, you would be within the weight ratings of the axles, tires, combined, but would go over the GVWR with a 3/4 ton diesel (pry not the gasser).

I think you are going with the diesel motor. Just a couple thoughts after having one for a few years. The diesel weighs more and in my experience has worn through tires faster than the lighter weight gas motors I have had in the past. First tires from the factory (Firestone) lasted 32,000 miles. Second set (Michelin) are doing much better. Oil changes cost more. DEF is not much of an expense but it is there, and one more system to keep up with. My truck has 2 fuel filter/water separators that cost about $90 a couple times a year (that is changing filters myself). The emissions stuff on the diesel trucks now is crazy (just my opinion). I've had one emissions related recall. With the cost of the exhaust on these trucks I see why people delete emissions stuff when it fails.... In my opinion, 3 years into this truck the maintenance cost are noticeably higher than the gas motors.

I like the diesel for the better mileage and it does pull great. I drive mostly unloaded and get about 18.5 mpg combined driving unloaded.

If you go RAM, I would look hard at the Aisin Trans and not the Chrysler 68rfe. If you go gas, I would get a chevy 3/4 ton and enjoy what I think is a more comfortable ride when when unloaded too.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:13 PM   #85

I have the same trailer, 2018. We have a F350 Crew cab with an 8 ft bed now and you would hardly know that the trailer is behind you till you look in the mirror. My suburban used to move around more without a trailer. We were pulling a trailer off the bumper of our f150 crew and it would be pushed all over the road. And it would tow nearly as much as the 250.

I generally have 3 grown children (mostly sleep in the tents when we are out), Pippy the wonder dog my wife and I and can still carry plenty of stuff for 5 people. We love the whole rig.
Jeepxguy is offline   Reply With Quote