Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #1

Eagle residential fridge/ inverter

I feel like I’m probably missing something real simple that is causing the inverter not to power the fridge when unplugged. I checked the manual and reset the inverter a few times but still no luck. The inverter is powering the microwave but not the fridge. Could the trailer be wired wrong or am I missing something? Thanks for the help
fabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabes View Post
Could the trailer be wired wrong or am I missing something? Thanks for the help
Sounds like those two circuits are reversed.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabes View Post
I feel like I’m probably missing something real simple that is causing the inverter not to power the fridge when unplugged. I checked the manual and reset the inverter a few times but still no luck. The inverter is powering the microwave but not the fridge. Could the trailer be wired wrong or am I missing something? Thanks for the help
What type of unit do you have? I had to troubleshoot mine this weekend as I lost shower power to the refrigerator this weekend and it would only work on battery back up. What I found was a loose connection in the inverter. The reason I ask what unit you have is that during my trouble shooting on my Eagle I found a J-box under the drawer that sits under the oven that has the microwave circuit and the inverter circuit for the refrigerator. Pretty easy to open up and swap wires. Just make sure the the shore power and the 12 volt power is turned off. If you don't feel safe doing that its time to take it and let it sit for a few weeks at the dealer to fix it.
Chris Wendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:59 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. I’ll check that jbox if I can find it. I have the 355mbqs
fabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:48 PM   #5
DGW

Inverter Nightmare

We had the same issue with our 2018 eagle 5th wheel. No power when only connected to battery. Then, the fridge and ac outlet next to it quit working. Took to shop and the inverter had been wired backwards and had been arcing. Replaced inverter and added second battery and fridge starts working off battery.....until it and the outlet died again. Back to the shop we go. This time it was determined that the wire connectors inside the inverter were not adequate for 14 gauge cables and were not staying seated...more arcing. Dealer had to replace with 12 gauge. Picking it up this weekend...fingers crossed. Lucky something didn’t catch fire.
DGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGW View Post
We had the same issue with our 2018 eagle 5th wheel. No power when only connected to battery. Then, the fridge and ac outlet next to it quit working. Took to shop and the inverter had been wired backwards and had been arcing. Replaced inverter and added second battery and fridge starts working off battery.....until it and the outlet died again. Back to the shop we go. This time it was determined that the wire connectors inside the inverter were not adequate for 14 gauge cables and were not staying seated...more arcing. Dealer had to replace with 12 gauge. Picking it up this weekend...fingers crossed. Lucky something didn’t catch fire.
Probably lucky you didn’t catch fire because if you haven’t noticed, the smoke detectors don’t come with a battery installed.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:34 PM   #7

Did this problem ever get resolved? I was supposed to pick up a 2019, 321 RSTS today and we discovered the same issue. The microwave and the fireplace have power, but the fridge does not. They were going to contact Jayco before trying anything, but I believe some circuits have been crossed somewhere.

Dom
domf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Probably lucky you didn’t catch fire because if you haven’t noticed, the smoke detectors don’t come with a battery installed.
There supposed to, ours always did. Dealer is supposed to pull the plastic tab before delivery.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #9

No plastic tab here to pull.
I forget where the thread is, but no one has a battery
Attached Thumbnails
61435A88-0DDC-4A47-AB7B-22D2E096B57E.jpg  
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
No plastic tab here to pull.
I forget where the thread is, but no one has a battery
9 volt batteries are EXPENSIVE!!

Look how much money they saved NOT putting batteries in 2 smoke alarms per RV
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #11

Now my dealer says he has it fixed. The microwave and fireplace were running off of the inverter, but not the fridge. They said some wires needed to be switched in the junction box behind the fireplace. But now the fridge and microwave are running off of the inverter. I don't believe the microwave should be connected to the same circuit as the fridge, and I don't think the microwave should be wired to the inverter. They are telling me yes, the inverter is supposed to run both the fridge and the microwave.
I am waiting for a call back from Jayco customer service, but does anyone know if this sounds right, or a wiring schematic showing the 120V circuits?

Thanks,
Domf
domf is offline   Reply With Quote