Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
If these are leaving Indiana overheight, then why aren’t they getting the AC units clipped on their way to dealers?
5-3-19 UPDATE:
Emailed pics of us measuring our unit & proof on level ground. Within 2 days Jayco rep responded with email telling us we're approved for change out of low profile AC unit & to have our dealership contact them for preauthorization!
NOW that's what I call GREAT customer service & standing behind your product.
My advice to anyone is to contact Jayco CS direct, not your dealership! You're basically doing the leg work for the dealer because all they have to do then is call for preauthorization.
GOOD LUCK!
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:48 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoboy70 View Post
I bought a 2018 355MBQS almost one year ago exactly. The unit came with a regular A/C as my 2nd A/C. Upon measuring the rig on the truck with a D.O.T. stick, I was at 13' 9". I also measured the rig level and off the truck at 13' 8.5". I contacted my dealer and they told me that it was my problem and not theirs.

I contacted Jayco CS and explained the issue. They asked me for the pics...and then next day they called me and told me they would replace the A/C with a low profile for no charge. I was leaving for Myrtle Beach, so they hired a local technician and it was swapped out on my site.

If anyone has issues, I suggest getting all your measurements and take pics of the measurements before contacting Jayco. Good luck!!!!

My tow vehicle is a 2016 Ram 3500 SRW. The truck did not make a difference in the height of the rig.
I've got the same setup as you. Got a 2018 Ram 3500 SRW with 20" rims. 2018 355mbqs that I ordered on February 1st and received on April 5th. Mine came with the low profile front A/C. It still measures 13'5" hitched which I have to do a few more measurements to make sure. So worried I'm gonna scrape that A/C off the top somewhere. I've looked at the Giraffe G-4 systems but they're only as good as your measurements for your rig and usually won't get tree branch measurements.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:14 PM   #43

Quote:
I bought a 2018 355MBQS almost one year ago exactly. The unit came with a regular A/C as my 2nd A/C. Upon measuring the rig on the truck with a D.O.T. stick, I was at 13' 9". I also measured the rig level and off the truck at 13' 8.5". I contacted my dealer and they told me that it was my problem and not theirs.

I contacted Jayco CS and explained the issue. They asked me for the pics...and then next day they called me and told me they would replace the A/C with a low profile for no charge. I was leaving for Myrtle Beach, so they hired a local technician and it was swapped out on my site.

If anyone has issues, I suggest getting all your measurements and take pics of the measurements before contacting Jayco. Good luck!!!!

My tow vehicle is a 2016 Ram 3500 SRW. The truck did not make a difference in the height of the rig.
Geoboy - just curious what is a "D.O.T." stick?
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:22 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarson59 View Post
Geoboy - just curious what is a "D.O.T." stick?
I would think he's referring to a "Department of Transportation" stick. I would not know what one looks like but if I had to guess it may be a L shaped stick that telescopes so you don't have to get on the roof to measure the height of a truck, or in this case, fifth wheel.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:52 PM   #45
DRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarson59 View Post
5-3-19 UPDATE:
Emailed pics of us measuring our unit & proof on level ground. Within 2 days Jayco rep responded with email telling us we're approved for change out of low profile AC unit & to have our dealership contact them for preauthorization!
NOW that's what I call GREAT customer service & standing behind your product.
My advice to anyone is to contact Jayco CS direct, not your dealership! You're basically doing the leg work for the dealer because all they have to do then is call for preauthorization.
GOOD LUCK!
Spoke with Jayco about the height of front AC yesterday, sent them pics of measurement. They called early this a.m. and said the same about contacting dealer for low profile replacement. Have spoke to them also about a couple other minor warranty issues and they have been great. They are letting me use a Mobile tech as the nearest dealer is 300 miles away.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:00 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
The low profile units aren't slightly smaller, almost half the height.

Your trailer shows? You mean broucher specs? Measure it, bet it's not what the broucher says.

Earl
Earl - You were right! After hooking up my 5'r to the TV, I got on the roof and measured from the top of the front AC to the ground - 12'7" tall. I guess it does make a difference when parked vs. towed. Glad I came in under 13'.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:27 AM   #47

"I would think he's referring to a "Department of Transportation" stick. I would not know what one looks like but if I had to guess it may be a L shaped stick that telescopes so you don't have to get on the roof to measure the height of a truck, or in this case, fifth wheel."

That is exactly what it is! It took the guesswork out of everything, and the ability for Jayco to say that my measurements were not level.
geoboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #48

Did you confirm height with low profile AC (Coleman Mach 8) for 355MBQS?
sjwohlsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:47 PM   #49

Quote:
"I would think he's referring to a "Department of Transportation" stick. I would not know what one looks like but if I had to guess it may be a L shaped stick that telescopes so you don't have to get on the roof to measure the height of a truck, or in this case, fifth wheel."

That is exactly what it is! It took the guesswork out of everything, and the ability for Jayco to say that my measurements were not level.
Where did you find a DOT stick!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:22 AM   #50

My friend works for a towing company and does recoveries all the time for trucks that "low bridge"...they have to measure the height of the units.

I measured my unit with the low profile and I'm at 13' 5".
geoboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:27 PM   #51

Eagle Trailer too Tall with 2nd A/C

Ok, we measure the camper height but pretty poorly in my opinion but we did it. Took it to CW per Jayco rep to measure height. Tech brought out a 1x6 about 6 feet long which he held it on top of the A/C unit without a level so just eyeballed it. Had a 20 foot tale and so we measured.

13’7 on the truck and 13’5 off the truck. Not very scientific, no level to see if board was level or parallel to the ground. Oh well I can attest I wiped out the front AC on a tree on a state road that is the only way into a state campground in SC.

Put 3 holes in roof when back of AC split in half and punched in small holes in roof membrane. Cracked 1/2 of the inside of the ceiling panel.
Not heard from Jayco rep yet so not sure if they will admit it’s too tall.

I went ahead and bought a Mach 8 AC that will be 7 inches lower and will have it installed. I will let all know if Jayco covers anything.

Last week the refrigerator quit cooling while on a trip and waiting to see what comes of that. So much for our first experience with a 2018 Jayco Eagle 3121RSTS. I will add we really do love our camper and understand things break.

Oh we hit a big bump that threw the vanity mirror into the shower door and cracked in 3 pieces. Once again not a Jayco issue but sure wasn’t thrilled about it. I often wonder how these tires can put up with the roads we travel and especially I95

Happy camping all!
JayBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:36 PM   #52

Did you mean your height is 13’7”? It can’t be 15’7”.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
Did you mean your height is 13’7”? It can’t be 15’7”.

Yes sorry long day. Thanks and will
Correct
JayBees is offline   Reply With Quote