Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2016, 08:57 PM   #1

Electric awning issues

Had 5er in driveway with awnings out. Went to retract main awning,wouldn't move.. Called dealer cause still under warranty,they were short 2 service people couldn't pull to dealer cause there is no manual crank.. Called a service guy they recommended,got it wound up. Think manual crank would be better.. Dometic sucks
Dizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizz View Post
Had 5er in driveway with awnings out. Went to retract main awning,wouldn't move.. Called dealer cause still under warranty,they were short 2 service people couldn't pull to dealer cause there is no manual crank.. Called a service guy they recommended,got it wound up. Think manual crank would be better.. Dometic sucks
There is a way to retract manually the awning assuming that your awning is a 9100. The tool kit is included with the original package and the method to do it is here :

BTW Ill get a dometic before a Carefree any time....

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
There is a way to retract manually the awning assuming that your awning is a 9100. The tool kit is included with the original package and the method to do it is here :

BTW Ill get a dometic before a Carefree any time....
Great video. Have to check what manuf type I have on my 2014 awning but is it fair to think that they all work this way?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
Site Team

Carefree oif Colorado is similar but not the same. I know that mine did not come with the awning strap but did have the cord for external power.

The strap is available at any rv supply.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:08 PM   #5

A guy dealer came down,motor is bad,got it rolled up. Will get to dealer now for fix..
Old 11-12-2016, 08:52 PM   #6

Got awning rolled in manually. Dealership replaced motor. Works great. Was still under warranty so it didn't hurt me money wisr
Old 10-30-2017, 01:05 PM   #7

I don't see alot of people having issues with these electric Dometic awnings, but for some reason I am!

Our front awning is on its second motor in less than a year, and our back awning is on its 3rd motor in just this season.

Why am I the only one that seems to be having issues?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:30 PM   #8

Great video - only problem I would have is if this happened at the campground, I would not have a ladder tall enough to reach the motor. I have a Seismic Wave Toy Hauler and the awning basically goes almost straight out, putting the motor probably 9 or 10 feet in the air. BTW, the awning is basically useless as it's way too high and provides shade only at high noon for a few hours. I would prefer to have the old manual awning any day.
La Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Cajun View Post
Great video - only problem I would have is if this happened at the campground, I would not have a ladder tall enough to reach the motor. I have a Seismic Wave Toy Hauler and the awning basically goes almost straight out, putting the motor probably 9 or 10 feet in the air. BTW, the awning is basically useless as it's way too high and provides shade only at high noon for a few hours. I would prefer to have the old manual awning any day.
Lower one or both of your adjustable awning arms to lower the awning. Though it won't completely solve the issue with it so high up, but should help.
Don't forget to put the arms back to full lenght before you close it.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:40 AM   #10

Earl
On my big awning it says u can close it in any position as long as each end is within three holes. My shorter one can also be closed in any position as long as the holes are the same. With that said I still match up the holes on my big awning but have closed it full out or in
Rock. It is a carefree
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Earl
On my big awning it says u can close it in any position as long as each end is within three holes. My shorter one can also be closed in any position as long as the holes are the same. With that said I still match up the holes on my big awning but have closed it full out or in
Rock. It is a carefree
Dometic awnings are completely different for arm adjustments. They have a slot with a bolt you loosen and tighten o adjust.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:25 PM   #12

Ya might last TT had that, I wish my 2016 had one.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:24 AM   #13

Our power awning just failed as well. had to wind it up by hand. The motor spins, but doesn't catch anything to roll it up. Had to wire it to the camper because it would just unroll on its own.
My awning doesn't have any way to adjust any angle or anything. I really liked my manual awnings on my older campers. You could so much with them.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:30 AM   #14

You sure it cannot adjust. My big carefree has about six holes on each arm for adjustment. I have not seen a non adjustable awning on a fifth wheel. You also have a 2016 Pinnacle so should have an adjustable carefree.
Rock
Old 11-02-2017, 08:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNChelle View Post
Our power awning just failed as well. had to wind it up by hand. The motor spins, but doesn't catch anything to roll it up. Had to wire it to the camper because it would just unroll on its own.
My awning doesn't have any way to adjust any angle or anything. I really liked my manual awnings on my older campers. You could so much with them.
I just think it's ridiculous that the front awning has failed once in a year, and the back awning has failed twice in the past 6 months. With the exception of this last failure on the back awning, all others resulted in locked up motors. They would not even roll up manually.

I'm looking into retro fitting them into the old style pull out awnings. I'm tired of replacing and wondering when it's going to fail again.
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote