Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2021, 09:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Finke View Post
okay my fellow members
I have ordered the Dexter Disc Brake System
4 to 6 weeks for delivery
It a dyi project
Start to finish, we need pics or it didn't happen! Lol!
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:35 AM   #22

Brake System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
Where did you order the kit? I went to the Dexter site, and it's kind of sketchy.
I bought from Performance Trailer Braking
Cost for 2 8K axles system $2975.00
They have independent installers that will install for a $1000.00
I am doing it myself
Rick Finke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 03:33 PM   #23

Absolutely Disc Brakes. Had Electric on my Pinnacle. Had Disc Brakes installed and there is no comparison on stopping that Pinnacle. So much better with Disc.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Hey guys and gals.
I have a question regarding the brakes on our 2020 Pinnacle 32RLTS fifth wheel.
Currently it has the factory installed 2 7000 lb. Dexter axles with factory electric drum brakes. System works just Okay.
I am looking into installing electric over Hydraulic Disc brakes. This will be a DYI project as I know what I'm doing.
I went to the neighborhood RV Supply to get their opinion on which to use and surprisingly, they strongly suggested against installing. He listed many issues such as pump failures, lack of support and parts to name a few.
He suggested installing larger electric brakes IE 3" shoes instead of the current 2" along with the appropriate drums etc. of course.
What are your thoughts and suggestions?
Thanks
he is full of it. I and other boaters have been using disk brakes for years with no problem at all. I have disc on 2 of 3 axles on boat trailer at 8K stops very quick and straight.
mjc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 05:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
= Better pads then Kodiak supplies. I put semi metallics on this year and they are much bette. Kodiak uses mid size GM pads, which one depends on the caliper
I bought Dexter/Kodiak disc brakes for 7k axles. How can you tell which GM pads are used?
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman44 View Post
I bought Dexter/Kodiak disc brakes for 7k axles. How can you tell which GM pads are used?
The last boat set I did were chevy Cavalier pads I believe. Same Kodiak calipers.
mjc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:38 PM   #27

Quote:
I bought from Performance Trailer Braking
Cost for 2 8K axles system $2975.00
They have independent installers that will install for a $1000.00
I am doing it myself
Thanks!
Old 12-05-2021, 06:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman44 View Post

If you have the original Dexter 4 piston calipers, those are only Dexter pads though somewhere there is probably an interchange.

If your 7K axles have the Kodiak single piston calipers, they are probably the 250 calipers. A 5.2/6K take the 225 calipers.

I originally found this chart on the Kodiak site but it's also on the strailer

Rock Auto has a long list of various pads for each vehicle. My replacements are Centric brand and about half the cost of whatever Kodiak uses

2011 F250 CCLB, 6.7 w/Puck System plus Slide in camper option,

2014 Montana 343RL (Just sold it)
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:07 AM   #29

I buy the double lip seals from etrailer, and they do well.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:44 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
If you have the original Dexter 4 piston calipers, those are only Dexter pads though somewhere there is probably an interchange.

If your 7K axles have the Kodiak single piston calipers, they are probably the 250 calipers. A 5.2/6K take the 225 calipers.

I originally found this chart on the Kodiak site but it's also on the strailer

Rock Auto has a long list of various pads for each vehicle. My replacements are Centric brand and about half the cost of whatever Kodiak uses

I have the 250 calipers. So I'd be looking at the middle set? Says DBC-250 under it? Thanks for posting this.
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:43 PM   #31

Just last week we had our brakes upgraded to disk with the Performance Trailer Brakes system. The test drive after the install was eye opening. We did some runs down a back road at 45 mph and the installer had me work the brakes while he adjusted the controller.

Then he had me drive down the road with cruise control set at 50 mph. That's when I saw the stop sign. He said "don't touch the brakes until I tell you..." We were getting to what I thought was dangerously close to the stop sign. He insisted I wait. Then I panicked and hit the brakes a split second before he yelled "STOP!". He was furious with me for not waiting and I unloaded some rough language on him. But we stopped 20 yards or so short of the stop sign, so his point was made.

During the install, it came up that he could do shocks as well and he had the parts, so I did not blink. All the work was done inside of the promised one day (even after I added shocks that day) and there was time to spare in the afternoon.

We keep the rig in Las Cruces, NM when not on the road, so the drive to the installer was 3 hours west on I-10 to Coshise, AZ, just short of Benson. The installer offers 3 nights stay for free on his ranch, and it included 30 amps and water.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 04:28 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
Just last week we had our brakes upgraded to disk with the Performance Trailer Brakes system. The test drive after the install was eye opening. We did some runs down a back road at 45 mph and the installer had me work the brakes while he adjusted the controller.

Then he had me drive down the road with cruise control set at 50 mph. That's when I saw the stop sign. He said "don't touch the brakes until I tell you..." We were getting to what I thought was dangerously close to the stop sign. He insisted I wait. Then I panicked and hit the brakes a split second before he yelled "STOP!". He was furious with me for not waiting and I unloaded some rough language on him. But we stopped 20 yards or so short of the stop sign, so his point was made.

During the install, it came up that he could do shocks as well and he had the parts, so I did not blink. All the work was done inside of the promised one day (even after I added shocks that day) and there was time to spare in the afternoon.

We keep the rig in Las Cruces, NM when not on the road, so the drive to the installer was 3 hours west on I-10 to Coshise, AZ, just short of Benson. The installer offers 3 nights stay for free on his ranch, and it included 30 amps and water.

Angus
We did ours about 3 months as well. I am presuming we had different installers, we had a husband/wife team, and they were very gracious to work with. We tested the brakes similarly, very impressive. Oh, and they came to our farm in NC to do the install.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:03 AM   #33

Converted my current trailer, 2015 Wildcat 317RL, five years ago with a kit from Performance braking. After running around with the controller on 10, even after several brake adjustments with the original 6,000 lbs. axle and brakes, it has been soooo much better with the disc. 5 years no problem, except the crappy organic pads the kit came with that didn't last. Upgraded to semi-metallic and the stopping has been great

When looking around for a new trailer and ordering a 2022 32RLTS disc brake option was on the must have list.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote