Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2022, 11:32 AM   #1

Electric jacks

Jayco 28.5 Eagle: My passenger side front electric jack wont retract. Any trouble shooting suggestions?
MACDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 03:28 PM   #2

what year model do you have. On my RSTS there are four fuses on the jack controller attached to the hatch ceiling. Check those first and cross your fingers that the problem. If that didn't do it, there are a ton of YouTube videos for troubleshooting Lippert jack motors.. Also, you can manually retract the jack using a 1/4 (i thinks thats the size) drive with ratchet on top of the motor. There should be a plastic tab up there, remove it and insert drive, ratchet away.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:19 AM   #3

2018 rsts
Old 02-06-2022, 08:56 AM   #4

Fuses are gong to be in the front hatch compartment on the ceiling towards back wall just to the left of the battery tray. I think they are the larger 39 or 40 amp two prong fuse,

https://youtu.be/idwnZJoFMnY
Old 02-06-2022, 08:59 AM   #5

Electric, not hydraulic
Old 02-06-2022, 09:11 AM   #6

Sorry, i'm looking for a Lippert troubleshooting video i had in my archives. When i find it i'll send. In the meantime, check these fuses in the location i sent earlier. Hopefully it is simple as replacing the fuse,. Note how the check motor location is marked
Attached Thumbnails
jackcontroller.jpg  
Old 02-06-2022, 09:21 AM   #7

here is a video on the manual override

Old 02-06-2022, 09:57 AM   #8

The motor, drivers side. runs just the jack at the far end of shaft, passenger, side doesn't respond.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACDC View Post
The motor, drivers side. runs just the jack at the far end of shaft, passenger, side doesn't respond.
So you are saying the bad jack, the motor runs but the jack itself is not responding???? if this is the case, does the jack move when you try to use manual mode with a socket wrench? Sounds like maybe a motor gear that engages the jack mechanism is stripped or bad. If you are mechanically inclined i would remove that jack motor and inspect the gear engagement area.. Make sure to find a way to temporarily block up the side you are working on. If you have any doubts in doing this type of work, then defiantly take it to a RV mechanic and have them figure it out..
Old 02-06-2022, 10:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Jayco 28.5 Eagle: My passenger side front electric jack wont retract. Any trouble shooting suggestions?

It sounds like you have a single motor landing gear setup similar to what I originally had on my 2013 351RLTS. It had a motor and gearbox on top of the left landing gear leg, and a driveshaft that went across to the right landing gear leg. I believe it was made by Stromberg Carlson. From day one, I had nothing but trouble out of that jack. I had the Jayco dealer work on it numerous times under warranty. Every piece of that jack was replaced at one time or another. That plastic bodied gear box on the left side seemed to always be the weakest link.

If I remember correctly, the drive shaft that drove the right side leg was just a piece of square tubing that bolted (or pinned) to a shaft on that gear box. That's the first place I'd look. It sounds like that bolt or pin could be broken. I believe there are some gears on the top of the leg that could also fail, but they are more robust than the gear box and drive shaft.

As soon as the original warranty expired on my camper, I scrapped that jack and replaced it with jacks from Ultrafab that had independent motors on each leg. I've never had another issue, and leveling is now much easier.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 11:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
It sounds like you have a single motor landing gear setup

I was giving him tips thinking he had the separate motor drive setup which should be in 2018 up models. I'm not familiar with anything prior to 2018 but is sounds like you will set him on the right track. Sure does not sound like an easy inexpensive fix
Old 02-06-2022, 01:21 PM   #12

Electric jacks

I had a 2017 HT that ran on two individual motors. However it had the auto level system. Maybe a single motor without that?

When this happened to me, I did the manual method and that freed up something. Then it worked as advertised. Battery was low too because the dealer left the batts on and unplugged. So, maybe low voltage can figure into this equation.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:12 PM   #13

etex211 That's the exact set up I have. We are putting motors on both sides. Thanks to all of you trying to help.
Old 02-16-2022, 01:21 PM   #14

Quote:
3 things come to mind, make sure a wire didn’t short out under the coach, I’d check the continuity of it, and make sure you have enough hydrolic fluid in the Jack. Oh, check for the emergency retract button, try that, should be in your panel, we had to use our button when one of the jacks decided to start coming down a little on a rough road. That’s what big foot emergency support told me to do. He said that’s a common thing.
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:51 PM   #15

Thanks all. Found the issue. The none motor side had a bent shaft. Going to install a motor on each leg and eliminate the shaft from motor to the other side.
Old 02-16-2022, 02:54 PM   #16

Dual motors is the way I am going.
Old 02-16-2022, 03:01 PM   #17

Check to see if there is a sheer pin on the shaft for the jack
Farmboy98922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:02 PM   #18

My 2018 RSTS did that on one of our first trips. Luckily found only that one of the fuses (as shown in a later reply) had actually wiggled a little lose. Re seated it and all has been fine since.

davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:18 PM   #19

Each should have its own circuit breaker if motor/gear drive? But if gear drive, it is a STABILIZER, NOT a JACK? MANUAL WARNS that TRYING TO USE STABILIZERS AS JACK will damage? Your mileage may vary, esp. if I am wrong about your type.
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 05:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenne1713 View Post
Each should have its own circuit breaker if motor/gear drive? But if gear drive, it is a STABILIZER, NOT a JACK? MANUAL WARNS that TRYING TO USE STABILIZERS AS JACK will damage? Your mileage may vary, esp. if I am wrong about your type.

They're electric landing gear jacks on a fifth wheel.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote