Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2021, 02:04 PM   #1

Electrical, are there any other box less type oultets?????

Not linking these outlets. Just slide the wire until it cuts the insulation. I haven't seen any other box less options but made a better connection and got it working. I'd say I'm getting hot fixing the refridge outlet but being held up getting to the junctions under the underbelly cover. Found out by the hardware used, having a 8 point RV bit is probably a good investment to have on hand.
Attached Thumbnails
20211006_122659.jpg   20211007_131151.jpg  
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 02:07 PM   #2

Depending on the size, typically a #1 or #2 square bit will work fine on those.
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadester View Post
Not linking these outlets. Just slide the wire until it cuts the insulation. I haven't seen any other box less options but made a better connection and got it working. I'd say I'm getting hot fixing the refridge outlet but being held up getting to the junctions under the underbelly cover. Found out by the hardware used, having a 8 point RV bit is probably a good investment to have on hand.
They've been using those for decades. Also used in some mobilehome applications.

As bill3kirk said a #2 square bit works fine on those screws
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Just a regular torque bit....get them almost anywhere..
mikensue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 05:21 PM   #5

I have honestly n]ever seen one of those fasters in over 40 years. Torques wouldn't work but the square head did ( I'm glad someone mention it as I was eyeing the bowie knife), lol! Thankfully, I found the issue after getting the schematic from jayco. The rear red feed wire was suppose to be in the circuit box not piggy backed off one of those cheap outlets.in front. It was so packed the back couldn't even be locked to keep the wire pressed. No wonder I kept losing power or had low voltage in the rear. But glad its fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
20211007_172244.jpg   20211007_172538.jpg  
Old 10-07-2021, 05:31 PM   #6

Quote:
I have honestly n]ever seen one of those fasters in over 40 years. Torques wouldn't work but the square head did
Those were made to make it easier to install using a #2 Robertson (square) bit. It gives you 2 positions to place the bit, vs 1.
Old 10-07-2021, 06:00 PM   #7

Definitely learned something new. They make the head so you can't grip them either, so I just assumed a special bit was needed. So far only see them on the under belly.

2014 Ram Dually 6.7 Diesel
2016 North Point 375BHFS
Old 10-07-2021, 06:18 PM   #8

I didn't realize there were screws for the square bit that had multiple bit connections until I saw yours and counted the prongs. Yep, everyone is correct in saying use the square bit.

I was going to say that screw was a torx one but those are only 6 pronged. Learned something new today.

I recently bought a screwdriver off Amazon and love it. I like having the bits stored in the handle and it took awhile to find something good. This one not only has all the bits you are likely to encounter but it also changes its length. You can snap the blade in the handle at multiple locations making it long or short. Love that feature!
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG   Capture1.JPG  

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote