Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2021, 04:26 PM   #21

I attached my troubleshooting documents. Look at the sections for converter and battery charging. Might help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Electrical Troubleshooting (ver 2).pdf (2.01 MB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf Quick Multimeter Instructions (ver 1).pdf (376.3 KB, 3 views)

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:10 PM   #22

When we did the PDI the lights were dim. The inverter control panel showed very los battery voltage and batteries not being charged when connected to shore power. It was the reverse current fuse(s) that someone referred to earlier had blown.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:17 PM   #23

Radar,
Yes, that was one of my problems I discovered yesterday. I had blown all four Reverse Polarity Fuses on my converter panel. When I replaced them, the converter has no problem. Battery charge is 13.6 v to cables that connect to batteries.

I still have an INVERTER problem though, and I think it is internal -- musta busted something with a short somewhere. Disconnected from shore power, with my fresh 100% 13.6v battery installed, and full 13.6 v coming to backside of inverter at input terminals, I have NO voltage coming out of the output at front. So, I think XM1000 must be fried.

Don't have to have it, we will be connected to shore anywhere on upcoming trip, and will just have to haul ice chest instead of using fridge on long road.

So, feel better, except for $400 price tag on this model of inverter. There are less expensive inverters, but no too confident in them. This Xantrec has been good so far...
Any experience out there with inverters, I welcome comments...
DD
DamonBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:22 PM   #24

One last question guys and thanks for holding my hand thru this!

I still have an INVERTER problem though, and I think it is internal -- musta busted something with a short somewhere. Disconnected from shore power, with my fresh 100% 13.6v battery installed, and full 13.6 v coming to backside of inverter at input terminals, I have NO voltage coming out of the output at front. So, I think XM1000 must be fried.

Don't have to have it, we will be connected to shore anywhere on upcoming trip, and will just have to haul ice chest instead of using fridge on long road.

So, feel better, except for $400 price tag on this brand/model of inverter. There are less expensive inverters, but no too confident in them. This Xantrec XM1000 has been good so far...there's even an 1100W one on Amazon for $84...but first several reviews make me hesitate.
Any experience out there with inverters and brands, I welcome comments...
DD
Old 02-08-2021, 02:35 PM   #25

Have you "reset" your inverter?
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #26

Most inverters have a circuit breaker on the inverter itself. I can not see mine because of the way it is mounted.
houstonstroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:20 PM   #27

Vicr, Houstonstroker,
I do have a button on the side to the right of the output panel, and manual for XM1000 says it is a reset if you use the 'GCFI outlet plug' option, but does not reset the device for the hardwired option.
Mine is hardwired...two18/2 wiring coming out on the output end.
I took off the panel, unscrewed the wire nuts carefully, and put my tester on them, no output, and this was with full battery power to input end of inverter.
I have pushed the reset button time and again (in off mode, disconnected, and connected) with no response or reset. See pic below...
Old 02-08-2021, 03:39 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonBecky View Post

Mine is hardwired...two18/2 wiring coming out on the output end.
18/2? The wiring going to the control panel should be similar to a phone jack. Does your fridge work on shore power?

The wiring coming from the breaker panel and going to the fridge should be 14 gauge.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
18/2? The wiring going to the control panel should be similar to a phone jack. Does your fridge work on shore power?

The wiring coming from the breaker panel and going to the fridge should be 14 gauge.
Yes, Grumpy, the wiring to control panel (mounted inside camper) is a flat phone cable...but I was talking about the wiring to appliances, which IS 14/2....my old eyes fooled me, sorry for confusion.

My fridge does work on shore power...so the Pass Through with the inverter works, I suppose, but does not produce power when NOT connected to shore power. That's when I took center panel off output end of converter and measured volts on hardwired 14/2 wires there...and got nothing.

Old 02-08-2021, 04:28 PM   #30

Is the Inverter control panel lighting up now? If not, are you sure you have the inverter wires connected properly on the batteries and not reversed? Just asking....
Old 02-08-2021, 07:57 PM   #31

Grumpy,
No, the inverter control panel is NOT responsive, doesn't light up.

the inverter is still hooked up as it was when it worked, I've never changed input side cables at all...and never removed output 14/2 romex line.

I was wondering if the little remote panel inside camper that is connected to telephone wire TURNS ON the inverter, and NOW I SEE IN THE MANUAL IT DOES.

I'm going to take status panel off and see if it is still hooked to wire behind status panel...could have jiggled loose.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonBecky View Post
Grumpy,
the inverter is still hooked up as it was when it worked, I've never changed input side cables at all...and never removed output 14/2 romex line.
I thought you said earlier that you disconnected the batteries and the INVERTER is a direct connection, that I why I mentioned it. Also check the phone cable where it plugs into the inverter to be sure it's tight.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:11 PM   #33

I have attached the manual for the Xantrax 1000 inverter. It has a troubleshooting section.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Xantrex 1000.pdf (2.43 MB, 6 views)

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:47 PM   #34

Thanks Jim D, I've downloaded that manual and been thru troubleshoot points.
Grumpy, good point. I did take batteries off, but never took cables off inverter, thot that was what you meant.

AC power comes in when ugged to house, passes.thru to appliances.. On battery only,, DC power reads 13.7 v into inverter,, but nothing coming out..
Checked both ends of telephone cable between little Xantrec control panel and inverter, plug at inverter end and panel end are tight.

In Florida now, plan to call Xantrec and let them talk me thru entire diagnostics.
Perhaps the little control panel fried rather than the entire inverter. If so, that might be not so expensive.

Thanks for all advice, esp helping me solve my CONVERTER problem. I would have never known to look for reverse polarity fuses. All works now in that department.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:03 PM   #35

Just tossing this out there...

Your batteries may have a 30A fuse supplying trailer from batteries. Especially travel trailers. Converter typically charges through same fuse if xonverter is BUILT INTO load center. If xonverter is seperate stand alone, it may or may not go direct to battery.

The converter protection fuses may have been blown if you connected 'spare' battery backwards, even just for a minute.
2005 Prevost Liberty Monterey 45'
1997 Ford F250 SuperCab 351cid Auto 4WD
2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.0L 6spd Auto
krbjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:33 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by krbjmpr View Post
Just tossing this out there...

Your batteries may have a 30A fuse supplying trailer from batteries. Especially travel trailers. Converter typically charges through same fuse if xonverter is BUILT INTO load center. If xonverter is seperate stand alone, it may or may not go direct to battery.

The converter protection fuses may have been blown if you connected 'spare' battery backwards, even just for a minute.
OP stated 4 hours prior to your post the fuses were blown and he had fixed that problem.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 06:54 AM   #37

Yes kbrjmpr, that was my converter problem. When I went to move camper to house I had dead batteries, removed them and put in the spare. When I put the spare in I created an arc w wrench up against the metal sided compartment box (which I have now lined with rubber sheets, by the way), blew fuses on converter (all 4 reverse polarity fuses) or either touched cable ends to wrong posts. Not sure which blew fuses . Replacing those solved my converter issue.

Now just dealing w inverter.

Tags
5th wheel, electrical issues, inverter, northpoint