Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #1

electrical problem w/2019 319MLOK

We purchased a new(2019) 319MLOK from a local dealer (Dec 2018) and last summer was our first time out on the road with it. We ran into a bizarre electrical problem on our first trip out of Minnesota. We would loose all electrical power, plugged into to 50AMP service. Nothing wrong with the power off the post to the rig. My dealer told me that the residential refrigerator via the inverter was draining down my batteries (even while plugged into 50AMP service). He had me turn off the inverter and leave it off for the rest of our travels--which solved the problem. This happened twice and as newbie's completely freaked us out. I eventually tried turning on the inverter when we were towing so that the refrigerator wouldn't defrost, which worked fine but... I tried getting help from Jayco service and they acted like maybe my batter pack wasn't up to speed (it was OEM and checked out fine). Jayco Service was useless, it looks like a design problem to me but they act like they don't know anything about it. My dealer is working the issue later this month but... Has anyone had this problem? If so, what is the fix. thanks, Grelon
gbwill0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #2

gb. I need a bit more info. Your Refrigerator is DEFINITELY a residential unit? If so, It should be running off of 110 volt not the batteries if I am reading your posting correctly. Your fridge is not both gas and electric correct? To me it sounds like your shore power is not working correctly or working at all! (switching between battery and shore power). Sounds like the inverter is the culprit. But, If you could provide a bit more info that would certainly help.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #3

It wasn’t the shore power

Shore power checked out good, I think it’s an inverter issue. The refrigerator is a big Whirlpool residential type. Apparently when it goes into defrost mode, it draws around 30amp. The inverter is there primarily for the refrigerator, when you’re not on 50amp service the inverter supposedly converts 12v dc to 115v ac right? it’s totally whacked ...
gbwill0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:18 PM   #4

So glad my fridge is propane. In any event, there is no way a residential fridge would ever pull 30 amps. They are only plugged into 20 amp circuits at home.

Maybe it pulls 30 amps from the batteries. That would equate to about 3 amps at 120 volts meaning about 360 watts. That could be a little heating element.

Yep, the inverter converts 12 volts to 120 volts.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #5

If you are loosing all electrical power I’d be checking the two 50 amp breakers inside the RV at its power confidence center...looking for loose wires, etc

The inverter that provides AC power when shore power is not available should also automatically switch to “bypass “ and allow AC power coming into RV to pass thru inverter directly to fridge outlet...

I’d also have to verify the shore to RV power cable using an ohm meter and ohm out all four wires to verify there isn’t a break in one of the two hit leads or the neutral that opens up under a load

A good service dept should be able to nail down the problem very quickly if troubleshoot correctly
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:28 PM   #6

We had an issue where we didn’t have a leg of power in our 319Mlok. Worked during inspection but not when we took it on our first trip. Turns out one of the main electrical supply lines got cut by a slide. Dealer took care of it quickly after I tracked down the JAYCO VP
Goat1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:14 AM   #7

Just gotta ask... How many batteries are you running? My North Point needs two minimum to operate off the inverter for more than 4hrs. My refrigerator's owners manual states it requires two. I have room for three of four so maybe next year I'll add to that.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
319mlok, electrical, problem