Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2022, 04:26 PM   #1

Electricity

I am having some problems with my electricity and I have no idea what to do to get it to stop. One of my friends got shocked from touching the handle to one of my water tanks and then his dog also got shocked from one of the metal axels under the camper. I've only had this camper for about a year. It's a jayco super eagle lite and it's a 2010. This electric shocking has just started a week ago and I am scared to death that someone is going to get majorly hurt or worse. What could be happening? There is electrical currents running through the back of my camper under the slide in the living room and on over to the left side and under it as well. Is this going to catch on fire? Can I get electrocuted while taking a shower or/and doing the dishes? I need to know how something like this can happen and is there anything I can do to fix it?
Also my significant other got a little jolt yesterday just by touching the metal on the screen door as he was coming in from outside. It's not getting any better and I'm freaking out.
Lena13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:39 PM   #2

I would guess you possibly have a loose or disconnected ground wire somewhere. It may be that the outlet you are plugged into has a problem.
The bad ground connection could be where your power cord ground connects to the trailer. Or the plug that plugs into the outlet could be bad. Since a missing ground is a dangerous situation, its good to take care of it ASAP.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena13 View Post
I am having some problems with my electricity and I have no idea what to do to get it to stop. One of my friends got shocked from touching the handle to one of my water tanks and then his dog also got shocked from one of the metal axels under the camper. I've only had this camper for about a year. It's a jayco super eagle lite and it's a 2010. This electric shocking has just started a week ago and I am scared to death that someone is going to get majorly hurt or worse. What could be happening? There is electrical currents running through the back of my camper under the slide in the living room and on over to the left side and under it as well. Is this going to catch on fire? Can I get electrocuted while taking a shower or/and doing the dishes? I need to know how something like this can happen and is there anything I can do to fix it?
Also my significant other got a little jolt yesterday just by touching the metal on the screen door as he was coming in from outside. It's not getting any better and I'm freaking out.
You have a dead short somewhere, evidently not fused, If it was mine, I would immediately unplug from shore power or generator until you can find it.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:09 PM   #4

I know where I'd start, but I'm not an electrician, so that being said I'd get a qualified electrician to figure it out to be safe.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:18 PM   #5

The condition you are experiencing is called a "Hot Skin" and is very dangerous. Unplug the camper from its 120 volt power source and contact a licensed electrician. If you are having to ask about this here it is above your ability to troubleshoot and any advice you receive here could cause you harm. I mean no disrespect whatsoever but you need help beyond what you are going to get here.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:22 PM   #6

Expanding on @ARoamer post. This seems to be a grounding issue; between the camper and actual earth. That camper is not grounding to earth. When one gets shocked; you are becoming the path for the grounding from the camper, to earth. This can be very dangerous, resolve this.

This is a 5th wheel, right? Is the metal landing gear ON THE GROUND (no wood/plastic blocks)? What are you plugged into? Are you sure its a properly GROUNDED outlet? If not, AND your camper has no metal to ground contact; this could be the problem.

Now the camper wiring. Check all these ground connections; from your cord, to the camper connection, to the breaker box.

A surge protector with ground testing functionality helps here; it would fail on the no ground at the power supply plugin connection, atleast verifying your outside power supply is ok.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:29 PM   #7

Quote:
You have a condition known as "RV Hot Skin" which is a very serious issue that could cause great harm up to even death for some especially if for example the ground is wet and the person touches both the step (or metal siding if a metal sided RV) and the wet ground at the same time.

You definitely have an electrical issue most likely a wiring problem but I have also seen where the electric element in the water heater can cause this so that would be something to try, turn off the breaker to the electric water heater... and you need to retest, but instead of me going over the details because there are many and again you need to be very careful, so I suggest you check out this multi-part youtube on the subject. I haven't watched it yet but I will, in any case this one was the top hit when searching "RV Hot Skin" on YouTube. I would highly recommend not doing dishes and showers unless you unplug the RV, you may not get shocked but if you do and all wet, that wouldn't be good. ~CA

Old 04-07-2022, 05:30 PM   #8

I thought maybe that's what it could be but like I said it just started doing this all of a sudden. I called an electrician they are supposed to be coming to check in on it. Hopefully they don't take to long to show up. Thank you for your opinion on this matter I appreciate the help.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:33 PM   #9

I keep it unplugged mostly but I have to use the electricity sometimes so I plug it up use it quickly and then unplug it again. Thanks for your time on this issue of mine I appreciate it.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:35 PM   #10

Already on it. Thanks
Old 04-07-2022, 05:39 PM   #11

I thought it was really dangerous that this is happening. I have already contacted an electrician for this issue and I hope he gets here in a timely manner. I appreciate your concern and I know you meant no disrespect. I am not an electrician nor do I know anything about it and I will be sure to leave everything unhooked. Thanks for responding.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:49 PM   #12

Yes it is a fifth wheel and no the metal landing gear isn't touching the ground. I have wooden blocks under there. I am plugged into an electric pole that has plug ins on it. It's the pole with the electric box and everything on it. I assume it's properly grounded but I don't know that as facts. How can I be sure? All I know is my electricity bill was steadily going up significantly and so I started turning everything off and unhooking everything whenever I left my place and it just started acting up and people getting electrocuted out of the blue. It's crazy
Old 04-07-2022, 06:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Yes it is a fifth wheel and no the metal landing gear isn't touching the ground. I have wooden blocks under there. I am plugged into an electric pole that has plug ins on it. It's the pole with the electric box and everything on it. I assume it's properly grounded but I don't know that as facts. How can I be sure? All I know is my electricity bill was steadily going up significantly and so I started turning everything off and unhooking everything whenever I left my place and it just started acting up and people getting electrocuted out of the blue. It's crazy

The point of this question is to check to see if the camper itself is grounded, which is only important; if the power supply is NOT. If your plugged into a proper external power "pole", then it should be properly grounded, you can look for a copper wire going into the ground. Its more likely the problem is with your camper connection/wiring.

Please be careful and dont actually use the camper until you get this resolved.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:19 PM   #14

Test
Old 04-07-2022, 06:23 PM   #15

https://www.thervgeeks.com/rv-hot-skin/

Try this^^^^^^

PaulB12
Old 04-07-2022, 07:13 PM   #16

if you have voltage on the frame, i would start troubleshooting by first shutting off every breaker in your panel. Then one-by-one turn on each breaker and check for voltage from frame to ground. Once you've identifrd the faulty circuit then you can start by checking each receptacle on that circuit. If you have voltage with all breakers off, then you have something going on with your shore power connection and the breaker panel. Are you plugged into 50A for 30A service.. If you are plugged into 50A and still have voltage with everything off, you have something going on with your pigtail. Keep us posted what you find
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:23 PM   #17

Getting a qualified electrician to check it out is the way to go. Hopefully the electrician will find the problem quickly and it will be an inexpensive repair. Good luck!
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 01:06 PM   #18

Do you have the option to try another place to plug in? If so, try that first. If the problem goes away then it is not in the trailer but in the outlet instead.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 01:57 PM   #19

You have a black and white wire crossed somewhere.
HarleighDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 07:14 PM   #20

As this is a new problem if you have made no changes to the electrical system of the camper, this most likely an issue with where you are plugged in at. If the plug has the hot and neutral swapped it will cause this problem. As suggested try a different power source. If that is not an option use adapters and a tester to check the plug. Or see if someone has a Progressive EMS they will plug in to check for errors codes. I have found campgrounds with reversed plug and no ground etc. Seems it is not uncommon for the grounds keeper to the be the electrician and not all of them should be.
RNRushing is offline   Reply With Quote