Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2019, 06:48 PM   #1

Empty Propane Tank Mystery Solved

We've had our 2019 Jayco Eagle 355mbqs since April 2019. We've taken several trips but only used the furnace a couple of days in May up in Kansas City. Other than that, just cooking on the stove top, oven and a few times on the grill. So our last trip we're cooking and there's no gas. Tank is empty. I switch over tanks and problem solved. Only thing is, there's no way we used a 30 pound LP tank since April. So while the 5'er was in the shop this week, I had the empty tank filled. Both tanks turned off. Today, when messing with the Mopeka tank check monitors, while switching back and forth on the tanks, I smelled gas. Turns out, the tank that was empty has a leaking regulator. Not at the threads, but at the regulator for that tank, hissing big time. Gonna see if the dealer will let me remove it and they can replace it or I'll have to lug in the 5'er to them to replace. Brand new and it's a bad regulator.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:59 PM   #2

If you do, soap bubble the fitting and video and or take a picture of it. They shouldn’t have a problem with you replacing it if you are competent. It would suck if they made you tow the 5er in for a 30 minute task.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:39 PM   #3

I went through the same dance before I bought a LP sniffer off Amazon. Ended up having a slight leak on the main run down the frame. A slight slice allowing LP out. I found that with the soap water and did a splice. Then leaked out another time and after getting the sniffer found one of the pig tails has bad fittings and also the end going into the regulator. This was all on a 2017 model. I bought a New Regulator and braided pig tails and no more leaks.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:11 AM   #4

I just bought the LP sniffer on Amazon, lol. Can't believe it's taken me that long to get one. The propane cost me $38 to fill the can that leaked out.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #5

Had a similar problem early on with our regulator. Instead of the dealer replacing it with another made in China POS I bought a Marshall made in the USA regulator. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marshall-Ex...2387b14ae786be

Bought a second one to have in the tool box.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:59 AM   #6

I had a pig tail leaking at a connection, ordered a couple new ones and haven’t had the problem again.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #7

Our tank to regulator hose started leaking about 9 months after we bought the TT. It was not Jayco's fault just faulty crimp on the hose that failed. I have replaced it. I have had many of those hoses fail over the years. I do not know why they are still legal to use. I am still thinking about going to make copper lines to replace the rubber hoses with.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:44 AM   #8

We were camping for a weekend one time and the main propane regulator went bad on us. I got lucky and had one comparable to this on hand made it fit one tank and made it through the weekend. By what I have read this is for a single appliance only. It worked.

https://direct.fredmeyer.com/0008930...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
Had a similar problem early on with our regulator. Instead of the dealer replacing it with another made in China POS I bought a Marshall made in the USA regulator. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marshall-Ex...2387b14ae786be

Bought a second one to have in the tool box.

I did my homework and also installed a Marshall. MADE IN AMERICA!
Old 08-25-2019, 01:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
I did my homework and also installed a Marshall. MADE IN AMERICA!
Can you hook up two tanks to this regulator?
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #11

Yes, this is what I bought.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Marshall...item41c83c1ce2
Old 08-26-2019, 09:29 PM   #12
Site Team

Speaking of propane leaks...I thought it a good idea (read preventative maintenance) to replace both tank pigtails, with new stainless braid covered ones (maybe critter proof), made in the USA, and a major brand. We get to the campsite and the next day, the DW gets a faint wiff of gas while walking by the tanks. Long story short, the brass taper in the knob on one of them has two hairline cracks. VERY tiny. Has to be a manufacturing defect, as the other one is fine. Since the DW thinks the "spare parts" I keep are just junk, I eased her mind on leaking gas by reinstalling an old one, and no more leak, no more smell.

A quick call to where I bought them, and a new one's on it's way no charge. And at least the old pigtails I kept aren't "junk", but now are "spare parts". Gotta love her!!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:15 PM   #13

Don't believe the problem is the fittings to the regulator but the regulator itself. One tank is connected to the main regulator with a short hose as they are in the same bay. The other tank is on the other side of the 5r and has a small regulator to reduce pressure on the line going through the 5r to the main regulator. This small regulator (usually red) has a small pin hole that lets the propane escape when the diaphragm fails. It whistles pretty loud. When mine failed, I purchased another on amazon for about $15. Easy to replace, but must use pipe sealer on the connector threads.
redjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #14

My 2017 Jayco 34rsbs had a gas smell near the bottles. I checked it with soap and found both pigtails leaking at the crimps. I replaced them with slightly longer ones that have a less tight bend and the problem hasn't returned.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
We've had our 2019 Jayco Eagle 355mbqs since April 2019. We've taken several trips but only used the furnace a couple of days in May up in Kansas City. Other than that, just cooking on the stove top, oven and a few times on the grill. So our last trip we're cooking and there's no gas. Tank is empty. I switch over tanks and problem solved. Only thing is, there's no way we used a 30 pound LP tank since April. So while the 5'er was in the shop this week, I had the empty tank filled. Both tanks turned off. Today, when messing with the Mopeka tank check monitors, while switching back and forth on the tanks, I smelled gas. Turns out, the tank that was empty has a leaking regulator. Not at the threads, but at the regulator for that tank, hissing big time. Gonna see if the dealer will let me remove it and they can replace it or I'll have to lug in the 5'er to them to replace. Brand new and it's a bad regulator.
I see you're in Schertz. Did you buy from the Crestview in Selma? If so, they'll probably just let you switch it out for a new one. I had a pigtail go bad on me once (that's where I bought my first TT). I called over there and asked if I could just bring the defective one back and pick up a new one. They said "sure, no problem". I brought the old one over, they gave me a new one off the shelf with the appropriate adapter and even wrapped some yellow tape on the fittings just so I didn't have to do it.

That dealership always did me right. Would've bought from them again, but they didn't deal in Jayco motorized...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjet View Post
Don't believe the problem is the fittings to the regulator but the regulator itself. One tank is connected to the main regulator with a short hose as they are in the same bay. The other tank is on the other side of the 5r and has a small regulator to reduce pressure on the line going through the 5r to the main regulator. This small regulator (usually red) has a small pin hole that lets the propane escape when the diaphragm fails. It whistles pretty loud. When mine failed, I purchased another on amazon for about $15. Easy to replace, but must use pipe sealer on the connector threads.
You must use the correct sealing tape when connecting propane fittings. It is yellow, and widely available.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I see you're in Schertz. Did you buy from the Crestview in Selma? If so, they'll probably just let you switch it out for a new one. I had a pigtail go bad on me once (that's where I bought my first TT). I called over there and asked if I could just bring the defective one back and pick up a new one. They said "sure, no problem". I brought the old one over, they gave me a new one off the shelf with the appropriate adapter and even wrapped some yellow tape on the fittings just so I didn't have to do it.

That dealership always did me right. Would've bought from them again, but they didn't deal in Jayco motorized...
Yes, we bought both our Open Range TT and our Jayco 5'er from them. They're 15 minutes from our house so we knew we had to deal with them on the 5'er. Glad we did. We really like their service department. Sales, well, sales is sales. I asked to bring in the regulator but they wanted me to bring it in so they could do it right, did that yesterday. I knew it was the regulator cuz it was hissing badly against the wall in the center of the back side of the regulator. They said these cheap ones go bad all the time. Anyway, got it replaced.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjet View Post
It was the regulator. Cheap Chinese regulator. They told me they go bad all the time.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:54 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
It was the regulator. Cheap Chinese regulator. They told me they go bad all the time.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #20

Gotta tell you that I was in China (Shanghai and Beijing) a couple months ago and visited a tourist souvenir shop. By comparison to Chinese souvenirs in the USA, the quality was SIGNIFICANTLY higher and the prices were dirt cheap.

Makes me wonder - suppose the Chinese export their low quality goods to the USA and keep the good stuff for themselves? May not apply to only souvenirs is my point...
JSumeracki is offline   Reply With Quote