Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2015, 08:01 AM   #1

Entry floor replacement on 1995 Eagle RKSS

Our last outing presented a strange noise, and sagging stair unit... After a lot of humming and hawing about going on another trip this weekend, I decided to have a look at why the stairs became super saggy, and droopy under weight, and see if i could "amish" a repair.

Yea, its bad. The tear out took about 6 hours, mostly trying to decided the best way to remove the wood, and how far i wanted to dive into this before my trip. I was afraid that the more i tore out, the more i would find. Wasn't the case. The entry step is mostly isolated from the main cabin structure.

The stair unit was secured with 2 bolts on the chassis, and 2 bolts going through a 2x4 that was buried underneath the lower door jam, of which is separated from the main door jam. The stair unit is cracked and pulling away from the chassis. My intention is to jack the stair unit back up to "level" secure with bolts running through the bottom of the door jam, and 2 new bolts attached to the new 2x4 structure that's in the middle of the step. once that's all done, ill run a weld bead on the cracked brackets.

I wanted to remove the door, and even tried to do so. I found out that trying to remove it would be more hassle than its worth, since it was bending the aluminum sidewalls. During this process is when i discovered the door needs to be rebuilt on the inside, as its rotted at the bottom and out of square.

The remaining material is 19/32nds plywood, and what appears to be hemlock 2x4s. No pre-treated materials, which makes little sense since all thats keeping this from total destruction is a woven barrier. Ill be using pressure treated 2x4, and 5/8th plywood going back together, all coated with kilz primer.

Ill update again with more pictures maybe tonight or tomorrow when i get this finished.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:25 AM   #2

Good choice to:
- take it back to solid material
- find all that is rotted, bent, failed
- fix it all properly.

Its just so much ****** hard work though...

Good luck. Post more process pix?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #3

Its alot of work. When i go back together, its going to be in some pieces, as i decided to leave the door installed.

I'll defiantly take more pictures. I think some of the users here may appreciate this if they own the older units.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #4

1995 ain't old.

I just sold a 1983 TT for more than I paid for it in 2009.

"I'll defiantly take more pictures" So, that means you're gonna take more pix, but you'll be protesting the whole way?

(Isn't autocorrect a wonderful thing?)

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #5

Feels old compared to what you can get now...
Old 09-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #6

Part 2

Installing the new pieces...

Started with the 5/8" plywood, coated with kilz. I had to make small filler pieces for the ends due to not taking the door out. If i did take the door out, then i could have used solid pieces. Also, I lost 2 screw holes, but i don't think that will be an issue.

Next is the new step structure. Put together with pressure treated 2x4 and screws.

Some difficulty on keeping these pieces together. There is little access to get screws in from the outside to keep everything tight. I did manage to get a couple screws in to help.

Here is an example of how bad it was sagging with the rotting wood...

I reused the outboard most bolt holes, and used 2 unused holes. 3/8ths bolts and lockwashers. Yes, I did drill through the doorjam...

A new plywood deck piece, same 5/8"... It made no difference in the dimensions previously used.

And some new tile! Actually, its just adhesive backed vinyl tile. Easy as butter to cut and install, and its cheap. $.79 a tile. You may notice some un-even cuts here. It turns out that the dimensions inside the hole are as crooked as a congressman. off by 1/2" front to back, and 9/16" side to side. Freehand is your friend here.

Done! It took awhile, but it looks much better. So far, its holding up to the weight at the lowest stair, which produces the most torque on the box. The stair unit itself is worn pretty bad, which is also causing some sag of its own, but there's not much i can do about it. I filled in the tile cracks with caulk.

And yea, the bolts are much longer than need be.

Any questions?