Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2021, 11:41 AM   #1

Escape from new york!

So I have a question. I am taking the family up to Bar Harbor Maine at the end of June (2021). I live in Charleston SC, and I have a 2018 355MBQS. We are staying a couple of nights in NY at the Liberty Harbor RV Park. Kids insisted, and I wouldn't mind a day in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. But when leaving, I want to take a route to Bar Harbor that will take us out of heaviest traffic. Any ideas?

Thank you,
Robert Gruber
Rgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:08 PM   #2

Oh boy..Bar Harbor and heavy traffic go together like peas and carrots! LOL

Your best bet is most likely to take I-95 up to Bangor, then jump on RT-1A down to the Bar Harbor area. Be forewarned: you will be traveling there during "peak" tourist season. The closer you get to Bar Harbor, the more traffic will become an issue. Hopefully you've already made reservations at a campground and that campground can handle the length of your TT. Captain Obvious here: don't even think of trying to tow your camper through downtown Bar Harbor. You'll likely have a stroke if you try! LOL
Another (probably useless)tip: finding parking intown Bar Harbor can be a bear. If you are camping reasonably close and have bicycles, that would make things a tad easier on you. Hopefully others chime in with more ideas. Cheers to you guys having a great and memorable Bar Harbor trip in 2021!
FWIW: a few years back I did a snowmobile trip through Acadia National Park. Acadia in winter is absolutely beautiful after a fresh snowfall!!
Before I forget: I know that Maine is known for its coastal attractions/destinations. Maine also has some beautiful attractions/destinations that are inland.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:22 PM   #3

Thank you for the advice. We made reservations at a KOA that is on the water. Damn if I can remember the name of the top of my head. I thought it was a good compromise for a couple of the kids who want to do things on the water and the rest of us who want to explore Acadia. We are really looking forward to it. Please feel free to give any other advice.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:42 PM   #4

Sounds like a good score, with the KOA being on the water! Is this the one: https://koa.com/campgrounds/bar-harbor-oceanside/
We live about 2-2 1/2 hours from Bar Harbor. We usually do just day trips or we might get a hotel room and stay the night. We are considering doing some RVing in that area. That will actually be the first time we RV'd in that area.

For the snowmobile trip, our snowmobile club rented rooms in that area. That was certainly something different for us. Maine isn't normally known for good snowmobiling along its coast. We usually snowmobile further inland (Ft Kent, Presque Isle, Millinocket, Greenville/Moosehead Lake area, Jackman, Rangeley, Bethel areas).
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:48 PM   #5

That is the site, actually. I have never been to Maine, but we did pull our 5th out West and back in 2018, and we came to trust KOA, so that it why I made the reservation there. What are some good activities on that side of the island? We will have fun exploring. Can't wait.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:50 PM   #6

You may want to look at the various tour companies and let them handle the traffic. We always had a good experience that way.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:04 PM   #7
Site Team

We were in that very CG in July years back. Nice.
many of the cg's have shuttles that take you to Bar Harbor from the campgrounds. Sure saves a load of headaches.

Don't miss Cadillac Mountain. Plenty of parking there and Acadia.

I can't even imagine New York in my rv.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I can't even imagine New York in my rv.
DW won't even let me drive there in a car.....
Old 01-11-2021, 02:20 PM   #9

Liberty Harbor RV Park is in New Jersey, right across the Hudson River from lower Manhatten. Stay off any road that is labeled "Parkway" or commercial. Although you are not commercial, the low bridges and overpasses don't care.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgruber View Post
Thank you for the advice. We made reservations at a KOA that is on the water. Damn if I can remember the name of the top of my head. I thought it was a good compromise for a couple of the kids who want to do things on the water and the rest of us who want to explore Acadia. We are really looking forward to it. Please feel free to give any other advice.
We stayed there with our travel trailer before we got a fifth wheel, now I have the same fifth wheel you do. Make sure they know how big you are, they only have a few big sites. The site we were on we were packed in very tight with two other units and I had to park my tow vehicle by the bathrooms. My fifth wheel wouldn’t even come close to fitting on the site we were on.

It is nice right on the water and they have a big tent where a seafood company does lobster bakes.