Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2022, 03:41 PM   #1
MDC

Eternabond around roof A/C opening

I am swapping out my AC unit and was thinking about using eterna bond tape around the opening in the roof before I install the new unit. Wondering if the overlapping joints would cause the AC gasket to not seal at those joints. Any experience is appreciated.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDC View Post
I am swapping out my AC unit and was thinking about using eterna bond tape around the opening in the roof before I install the new unit. Wondering if the overlapping joints would cause the AC gasket to not seal at those joints. Any experience is appreciated.
I applied Eternabond to our last two units. I did the full perimeter of the roof and the slide out roof. I don't think I'll use it around the equipment and vents. I do not want to remove it (when something fails, gets damaged, or wears out). I really like the Eternabond caulk, too! I use it instead of Dicor. It is much more durable. When I do an AC, I won't use Eternabond around it. I think you can, but you will be in for a big job when the time comes to remove it. It is great stuff!
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 04:27 AM   #3
MDC

Just want to put it around the opening before I reinstall the new ac not around the roof and gasket after installed. Just concerned about the over lapping joints and the gasket sealing over those
Old 05-14-2022, 05:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Just want to put it around the opening before I reinstall the new ac not around the roof and gasket after installed. Just concerned about the over lapping joints and the gasket sealing over those
Ok. You are considering using it around the perimeter of the AC opening in the roof before you set the AC. Is that correct?
Old 05-14-2022, 06:03 AM   #5

I would not use it there. The surface of the tape is shiny and I don't think the a/c seal ring would seat correctly.

What are you trying to accomplish? There are no joints around the a/c opening that need to be sealed before installing the a/c
Old 05-14-2022, 06:16 AM   #6

I agree with Grumpy. I believe it would affect the seal created by the AC gasket....

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:18 AM   #7
MDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I would not use it there. The surface of the tape is shiny and I don't think the a/c seal ring would seat correctly.

What are you trying to accomplish? There are no joints around the a/c opening that need to be sealed before installing the a/c
There was a roof vent installed previously and I wanted to make sure the old screw holes are sealed
Old 05-14-2022, 06:19 AM   #8
MDC

Yes
Old 05-14-2022, 06:28 AM   #9

Quote:
There was a roof vent installed previously and I wanted to make sure the old screw holes are sealed
Installed numerous a/c's after removing the vent and never had any issues. The gasket should be wide enough to extend beyond the screw holes.
Old 05-14-2022, 06:28 AM   #10
MDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunafulltime View Post
Ok. You are considering using it around the perimeter of the AC opening in the roof before you set the AC. Is that correct?
Yes. Applying to top perimeter before I install the new ac unit. I added a second ac unit. The opening is in the bedroom. My trailer only came with one ac. I am putting in a second one. The opening was factory prepped for a ducted ac unit. Originally had a ceiling vent. I am concerned about sealing where the ceiling vent screws were.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Yes. Applying to top perimeter before I install the new ac unit. I added a second ac unit. The opening is in the bedroom. My trailer only came with one ac. I am putting in a second one. The opening was factory prepped for a ducted ac unit. Originally had a ceiling vent. I am concerned about sealing where the ceiling vent screws were.
10-4.
I would not use the tape for this application. As others said, the roof membrane's surface is a better seal between the gasket and the a/c frame. I would stick with the "stock" application of the a/c installation.

Even though I know the gasket will likely cover them, the holes would bother me, too. I would fill them with Eternabond caulk. They actually sell a small tube that would be perfect for this. Fill them as well as you can. Use your finger to press the caulk into the holes. Smooth off the excess to eliminate raised caulk that could interfere with the seal. I did something similar when I installed the Winegard ConnecT 2.0.

Full disclosure, I am an over-kill guy when it comes to sealing my unit.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:39 PM   #12

MDC
If you don't mind me asking what unit are you putting in (make and model)
I'm thinking of putting one in my self
Thanks
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:42 PM   #13

Quote:
I did exactly what your talking about when I installed my 2nd AC. Small tear in membrane when I removed the vent. Installed tape around perimeter of opening, no problems, no leaks.
Gruby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:57 PM   #14

Did our roof that way. It hasn't changed or lifted in several years so far.

It didn't need it, I just liked the idea of extra protection.
I check it once a year just to be careful.
JimHanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHanus View Post
Did our roof that way. It hasn't changed or lifted in several years so far.

It didn't need it, I just liked the idea of extra protection.
I check it once a year just to be careful.
He's talking about "under" the air-conditioner gasket. What you did is the perfect way to be pro active against leaks.
Old 05-21-2022, 03:39 PM   #16
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Installed numerous a/c's after removing the vent and never had any issues. The gasket should be wide enough to extend beyond the screw holes.
What did you do about the amperage limitations when you installed the second A/C. Were you already 50 amp?
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:45 PM   #17
MDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
MDC
If you don't mind me asking what unit are you putting in (make and model)
I'm thinking of putting one in my self
Thanks
I installed the same model I had as the original. Coleman Mach 8. It took me about 2 years to find one. 15k heatpump.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
What did you do about the amperage limitations when you installed the second A/C. Were you already 50 amp?
The ones I did were on units without a/c originally, however several on JOF have put them on 30 amp units and just ran a separate power cord so they could plug into the 20 amp in the pedestal.
Old 05-21-2022, 05:18 PM   #19
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
The ones I did were on units without a/c originally, however several on JOF have put them on 30 amp units and just ran a separate power cord so they could plug into the 20 amp in the pedestal.
Thanks, mulling over adding a 2nd non-ducted rooftop or a mini-split on the rear wall to Alante 31L. Not sure If the Alante is wired for a second A/C where the bedroom vent is , but regardless I'd have to either change out the distribution panel to up it to 50 amp or run a separate pigtail. I'm thinking I could run two 30's off the 50 amp park service with an inline 20 amp breaker on the secondary 30 amp leg. There is such an animal as a 50 amp male which splits into two 30 amp females.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote