Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2012, 05:56 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
As far as applying EnternaBond while under warranty, if it was my new TT I would hold off. I would make the extra effort to insure that all seams/caulking remain in good shape during the warranty period per Jayco recommendations. If by chance there is a warranty service claim filed for some roof or seam related issue then Jayco can't use the application of EternaBond as a reason for not approving a given warranty claim. Having said that, IMO the application of EnternaBond RV sealer tape will outperform caulking hands down!

On my 7 year old Eagle, I just completed a little "preventative" EnternaBond project: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...r-Tape-Project

Bob
What he said........

Of course another option would be to hermetically seal the entire unit and tuck it away in the garage in order to preserve it in pristine condition for future generations.

I have noted several members here tend to trade their RVs within a couple of years. If you plan to do this with a 2 or 3 year old unit, bear in mind that the EternaBond, even if applied for preventive care purposes, may be viewed as a red flag by potential buyers who will think you are trying to unload a turkey.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #22

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01868.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	5129Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01866.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	5130Here are a couple pics of the roof of my 2012 trailer. Notice what would appear to be dicor type sealant on the antenna the rest of the seals are like the one at the front of the trailer including all the vents etc. Any one else have this dark sealant on their roof? I tried cleaning with iso propyl but it does basically nothing. I guess i'm wondering if eternabond will even stick to that stuff.
teevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #23

It looks just like mine did before the Eternabond. The brown sealant isn't inherently brown, it's just dirty. They used two types of sealant, and the type around the antenna did not remain tacky and the "brown" sealant stayed tacky and grabbed onto a lot of dirt.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevman View Post
Attachment 5129Attachment 5130snip......Notice what would appear to be dicor type sealant on the antenna the rest of the seals are like the one at the front of the trailer including all the vents etc. Any one else have this dark sealant on their roof?.....snip
It "appears" that the nice white caulking around the antenna base may have been applied recently (?) over top the original caulking, take a close look at the edge of the white caulking. After some time in the sun and a little dirt it will look like the other caulking.... faded.

Yes, EnternaBond will stick to the caulking shown in your pics.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #25

That white caulking around the antenna is factory as I bought the trailer new, that brown edge around it is just some kind of stain.

RVhiker did you try and clean the brown (dirt) off the caulking and if so what did you use and did it get any cleaner looking? Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #26

Quote:
That white caulking around the antenna is factory as I bought the trailer new, that brown edge around it is just some kind of stain.

RVhiker did you try and clean the brown (dirt) off the caulking and if so what did you use and did it get any cleaner looking? Thanks again.
When I cleaned the brown caulking, much of the dirt came off, but some remained imbedded. I was impressed with how uniform the brown color was, it sure looked like it was a brown caulk. But I looked at the roof when it was brand new, and all the caulk was snow white. It's got to be dirt that gives that color.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #27

I'm posting another pic here of the factory caulking on my roof. You see how they made all those "side bumps" or whatever you want to call them on the side of the caulking, should i trim those off to make a nice straight line before trying to applying the eternabond? Both vents and the skylight are like that. I'm thinking with those side bumps it is going to limit contact to the roof. Thanks.

PS: By the way i contacted Jayco about using eternabond on my trailer, which is still on warranty, and they have no problem doing whatever I need to do to ensure no leaks.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01867.jpg  
Old 09-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #28

Looks exactly like my skylight, and I had the same concerns as you. What I decided to do and as they say, YMMV, was to first clean the sealant. Then, I filled in the "valleys" between the "bumps" with Dicor self-leveling lap sealant which made a more or less straight sealant line where the sealant meets the skylight. Then you have to let the new Dicor cure for a week or two before applying the Eternabond.

BTW, if you're using acetone for a cleaner, be extremely careful not to get acetone on the plastic - it will dissolve it.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Looks exactly like my skylight, and I had the same concerns as you. What I decided to do and as they say, YMMV, was to first clean the sealant. Then, I filled in the "valleys" between the "bumps" with Dicor self-leveling lap sealant which made a more or less straight sealant line where the sealant meets the skylight. Then you have to let the new Dicor cure for a week or two before applying the Eternabond.

BTW, if you're using acetone for a cleaner, be extremely careful not to get acetone on the plastic - it will dissolve it.
Sounds like a better idea.

I emailed Jayco a few days ago about what sealants were used and he said every roof attachment should have a self leveling sealant (dicor or alpha) on it EXCEPT the Skylight which has a Quad sealant as self leveling sealants would melt or disfigure the skylight?? That doesn't or didn't make any sense to me as the two vents and skylight look like the same plastic to me but what do I know, lol. Anyways Dicor had no ill effect on the skylight for you?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Anyways Dicor had no ill effect on the skylight for you?
None that I noticed.

FWIW, the sealant on the skylight sure looks like a self-leveling sealant, and looked the same as all the other dirt coated lap type sealants.