Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #1

Eternabond on new trailer?

Hi all. Have a new 23.5 just used this summer, we love it. I have been reading about people on here using eterabond to cover seams and this appears to be great stuff that would help reduce leaks before they start. I'm wondering if anyone has just gone ahead and applied to all the roof seams on a new trailer as a preventative measure or should one wait till the two year warranty is over. Thanks again. By the way i love this forum, lots of really good info!

teevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #2

EternaBond is a great product and it works. Personally I wouldn't use it right away on a new RV and I think it would be wise to wait until the warranty runs out.

One word of caution in using EternaBond it is not as easy to apply as it looks. Yeah, it goes on easily but to do it neatly and perfectly requires patience, skill and luck. I don't know how you would ever remove it, that is why putting it on neatly is so important.

Just for fun I put a leftover piece on the bottom of my "tire wash" bucket to cover a crack. The bonding side was actually exposed to the water when the bucket was in use. After 5 years, the EternaBond tape was still there; however, other damage to the bucket finally rendered it useless.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. Yeah I suppose it's better to wait till warranty is over. Hopefully the seams will last two years w/o cracking, lol.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #4

I have a different take on the issue of warranty versus application of Eternabond. I feel that the caulking and sealing on my trailer is good enough to last through the warranty period, if proper maintenance of the caulked seams is done. I definitely have found some caulked seams on my roof that had failure cracks, which I fixed.

However, if a crack or leak goes un-seen or un-repaired, there is a fairly good chance you won't see water damage until after the warranty coverage is over.... and then you have an expensive problem. I took a proactive approach, and used Eternabond to seal all the seams on my still in warranty roof.

Also, I keep a close watch on all the caulked seams on the sides of the trailer, at the corners and at the roofline, as well as of seams at clearance lights and any other penetrations of the side of the trailer.

Once you know you have a leak from observation on the inside, it is often too late to prevent extensive damage.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
I have a different take on the issue of warranty versus application of Eternabond. I feel that the caulking and sealing on my trailer is good enough to last through the warranty period, if proper maintenance of the caulked seams is done. I definitely have found some caulked seams on my roof that had failure cracks, which I fixed.

However, if a crack or leak goes un-seen or un-repaired, there is a fairly good chance you won't see water damage until after the warranty coverage is over.... and then you have an expensive problem. I took a proactive approach, and used Eternabond to seal all the seams on my still in warranty roof.

Also, I keep a close watch on all the caulked seams on the sides of the trailer, at the corners and at the roofline, as well as of seams at clearance lights and any other penetrations of the side of the trailer.

Once you know you have a leak from observation on the inside, it is often too late to prevent extensive damage.
What did you use to clean the old caulking and rubber roof before you applied the eternabond? Also what type of caulking should one use to repair any cracks? Thanks.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #6

I received the following from Jayco customer service re. Eternabond tape:

"The roofs seals on any Jayco product are customer responsibility from the day of purchase. Jayco recommends using a self leveling sealant. Not being familiar with using the Eternabond product on any Jayco products I can’t give you an opinion other then to say Jayco does not recommend anything other then a self leveling sealant for any of the roof’s attachments. Seal failure is considered customer error at all levels except for inside the first year of ownership even if you use the self leveling sealants as Jayco recommends the unit be re-sealed each and every year."
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevman View Post
What did you use to clean the old caulking and rubber roof before you applied the eternabond? Also what type of caulking should one use to repair any cracks? Thanks.
I left the old caulking in place, and put the Eternabond over it. I used small amounts of acetone to clean the surface; Eternabond also has a branded spray cleaner if you prefer.

a youtube video of Eternabond being used on a RV. The Eternabond site also has lots of information. Here's a thread in another forum on the subject: thread.

Assuming the cracks are in caulking on a rubber roof, I've used Dicor self-leveling caulk. It's slightly runny, and will smoothe out. You just have to clean the old caulk well, and then apply the Dicor.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
Site Team

I am in the process of putting it on my 1 yr old rig. I purchased the 6 inch wide product for the front seal and 4 inch for the back. Have not decided what to use 4 or 6 on the other openings. I also purchased the eternabond cleaner. On a new rig, I put it right over the caulk.

On the email from Jayco, I would not expect them to say anything else to protect themselves. My problem is protecting my camper. I inspect it regularly as long as I can get up there. Would not trust it to anyone else.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #9

So, does the eternabond tape eliminate the need for caulking?
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
I left the old caulking in place, and put the Eternabond over it. I used small amounts of acetone to clean the surface; Eternabond also has a branded spray cleaner if you prefer.

a youtube video of Eternabond being used on a RV. The Eternabond site also has lots of information. Here's a thread in another forum on the subject: thread.

Assuming the cracks are in caulking on a rubber roof, I've used Dicor self-leveling caulk. It's slightly runny, and will smoothe out. You just have to clean the old caulk well, and then apply the Dicor.

Thanks for all the info! Is it a good idea to use their roller or is smoothing with firm hand pressure enough?