Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2019, 10:43 AM   #1

Eternabond thoughts

Hello to everyone,
I would like to hear your long term experience with eternabond tape. Has it performed well for you? Any problems? Did you use their spray preps? Is there anywhere on the roof you would not use it?
Thank you in advance for your input.
RMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #2

I used it on a previous trailer. I did not use their prep spray. I used mineral spirits to clean the surface. Followed their online instructions and it worked great. I kept the trailer for 4 more years after I applied Eternabond and it held up just fine. Highly recommended.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:19 AM   #3

Used it for years. Cleaned the self leveling caulk and roof area with acetone and applied the tape. I then sealed the edges with Dicor just as added insurance.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:32 AM   #4

Thanks for your responses. The dicor sounds like good insurance.
RMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:03 PM   #5

Hello to you and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:12 PM   #6

I replaced all the Dicor on the roof of my 2017, 26BH when it was brand new. I removed all the Dicor easily with a plastic putty knife, and then thoroughly cleaned the surfaces with acetone. The maker of the roof says to avoid mineral spirits, so acetone's my cleaner of choice.

I got the EXPENSIVE primer but actually only used if for a portion of the job. I read somewhere in the Eternabond instructions that it's really only necessary when applying in lower temperatures.

With regard to treating the edges of the Eternabond with Dicor, I figure if the Eternabond works (which it does!), then why would I gunk it up with a product that works less well and eventually cracks? I'm a "belt and suspenders" guy, but that doesn't mean I actually wear suspenders.

After two years, my Eternabond still looks like new, with NO peeling or failure, even on the long run at the front of the trailer where the metal siding meets the rubber roof.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:07 PM   #7

3 years on my Eternabond on the roof and it still looks new. I did the Dicor on the edges as well especially on the front cap seam. I went right over the old caulk after cleaning it with the Eternabond cleaner. Make sure you have a quality roller.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:00 AM   #8

We just purchased a used 2017 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 175RD and upon getting it home I took a look at the roof and noticed I can see where the plywood is seamed on the roof under the TPO roofing. you can actually feel it under the roof and my concern is over time I'm going to see the seams and slight unevenness wear thru the roof so im thinking about putting a strip of eternabond tape across the roof where I can see these seams.. Does this seem like a good idea or am I worrying for nothing. im also considering doing the main seams front and back.
charger7022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:11 AM   #9

Welcome to the forum.

There are several folks here that have experience with Eternabond tape and I'm sure you'll hear from them soon.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
The maker of the roof says to avoid mineral spirits, so acetone's my cleaner of choice.
I'm surprised by that, from the manufacturer that is. Mineral spirits dries slower but is far less likely to do any real damage. Acetone is hot and will easily melt the membrane. Obviously you know what you're doing with it. Many people would not.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #11

I holds fast! I tore our roof lining about a month after we purchased our HTT, with a ladder, doing a roof inspection. I now wrap the ladder and put my stabilizers down when I go up on the roof.

I had to wrap the Eternabond over the edge to the gutter/sidewall mount and stretched it to get a good tight bond around the edge, don't do that, as I founde critical issue with eternabond, do NOT stretch Eternabond, or it will not stick! It peeled up the next day. I applied a new piece the next day, and it has held solid ever since (nearly 7 years now).

A couple years ago I went over all my caulking. All I did was wash the roof really well, and applied 6" Eternabond directly over the old caulk. It too, is holding really nicely.

I would recommend Eternabond to all campers, I carry a small end of roll for emergency repairs.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote