Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #1

Exercising the Generator

So my 19 Pinnacle was ordered with a generator from the factory. I am hooked up full time and was wondering what others have done to exercise the genny. I know it needs a load so I thought turn it on along with other things like heat pump or ac's. Just started to wonder how this is done. Just fire it up and will it switch to gen power? Unplug the shore power first? What do you all do? And if you shut it off with shore power connected Will it automatically go back to shore power? I have a Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X Portable RV Surge Protector - 50 Amp hooked up to the box.
Thoughts?

priv8pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:12 PM   #2

They recommend that you turn off shore power before you start it and vice versa. That is what I always did.

Also turn off a/c and high current appliances, then back on.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They recommend that you turn off shore power before you start it and vice versa. That is what I always did.

Also turn off a/c and high current appliances, then back on.
The same here. You want to keep the transfer switch switching to a minimum with high amp loads on it. Hard on the switch contacts.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #4

It always wise to let the generator engine to warm up for a minute or two before putting a load on it. Trying to start with a load may not work and/or may be detrimental to its longevity.

After a big load it is also a good idea to let it idle a few minutes to cool. Always have the load off when shutting down.

If you are exercising your generator I would assume it has not been run for awhile. Based on that, a quick check of the oil level is also a good idea.
It is also an opportunity to check the air filter, look for oil leaks, fuel leaks, anything out of the ordinary. Best to catch any of that before you start it and before you leave for a nice trip,

I keep a log on the air filter, oil changes and fuel filter changes. A good idea for any engine.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:37 PM   #5

From what I have seen most transfer switches have a delay after the generator is running, mine takes almost a min to switch over, I also try and have big loads off WH, AC, ETC. I don't worry about battery charger, or smaller things.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote