Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2019, 04:34 AM   #1

Experience with TPMS

Who has experienced avoiding a calamity using their TPMS? My DW monitors our fifth wheel regularly while towing. We have not experienced any issues yet but I am curious as to what is the typical tire temperature range. I know it varies with the ambient weather temperature, well lubricated bearings, proper tire inflation, even which side is facing the sun while parked in a rest area, margin of error in the sensors, etc. But I would like to know, assuming all systems working properly on a fair weather day, what does your tire temperatures show? For example on a 95 degree, sunny day, after being on the road awhile, my 4 tire temperatures will vary between 95 and 115 F.

Plus, if you have experienced an issue and detected that issue with your TPMS, thus preventing the calamity, I'd like to hear of your experience. Thanks.
Moving Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:59 AM   #2

I’ve only had my TPMS alarm once, due to high pressure, and that was my fault as I’d started out with them too high to start with - I initially inflated in early spring when it was still fairly cool out and hadn’t adjusted them back down as the weather warmed up.

All four tires are generally within a few degrees and pounds of pressure of each other. I do take into consideration the sun, etc, and while one side may be warmer than the other, those two are generally very close to each other.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:38 AM   #3

Just the peace of mind that comes with a TPMS is worth every dollar you spend on one. My pressure and temps are usually within 5 psi and 9 degrees. I just can't fathom why someone would go down the road without a system. Without one you have absolutely ZERO knowledge of the condition of your tires.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Just the peace of mind that comes with a TPMS is worth every dollar you spend on one. My pressure and temps are usually within 5 psi and 9 degrees. I just can't fathom why someone would go down the road without a system. Without one you have absolutely ZERO knowledge of the condition of your tires.
Yes! 110% yes!
My TPMS has saved my bacon twice. Two dramatic failures that probably would have gone unnoticed long enough to do some serious damage to the wheel well and surrounding area.
My xmitters go to sleep when they are not moving and take a little time to wake up when we hit the road. Part of my pack-to-leave ritual is to unscrew each one, watch the alarm go off and re-tighten to reset it. That gives me a pres/temp baseline for the day’s travel and I can see if a tire needs some air before hitting the road.
Once on the road My navigator (the Bride) will periodically take a tour of the tires looking for press/temps that look abnormal.
Works for us.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Along View Post
Who has experienced avoiding a calamity using their TPMS? My DW monitors our fifth wheel regularly while towing. We have not experienced any issues yet but I am curious as to what is the typical tire temperature range. I know it varies with the ambient weather temperature, well lubricated bearings, proper tire inflation, even which side is facing the sun while parked in a rest area, margin of error in the sensors, etc. But I would like to know, assuming all systems working properly on a fair weather day, what does your tire temperatures show? For example on a 95 degree, sunny day, after being on the road awhile, my 4 tire temperatures will vary between 95 and 115 F.

Plus, if you have experienced an issue and detected that issue with your TPMS, thus preventing the calamity, I'd like to hear of your experience. Thanks.
We have the EEZ TPMS system and really like it. What I don't understand is why one tire can go to 108 degrees and the other three be around 98 degrees in about 95 degree weather traveling at 65 mph. But it doesn't always stay there. Since the 5'er is only five months old, I can't speak for the hubs/bearings. Won't know about that until I have the dealer grease the bearings this fall. I want them to do it that way if there's any issues with the bearings, it'll be covered under warranty. Anyone can squirt grease into the fittings. I want them to look at everything at least the first greasing. Anyway, the tire pressure hasn't exceeded 99psi so I think that's the kicker. Anyway, like the tpms system. I just need to get educated on the info it provides, lol.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:54 AM   #6

Most people I have read and I believe the manual even suggest that the high temp alarm be set at 158 degrees. You are way, way below that.
My tires start at 80 pounds cold, alarm is at 98, they get to 96 all the time.

When I first got the TPMS, I was also concerned about how the pressure and temps change during a trip. I have settled down a bunch as I now understand it’s all normal and my alarms are set where they are for a reason.

I had a low pressure alarm go off on my last trip, one tire lost 30 pounds. Took it to a tire shop, just had a loose valve stem. Got it tightened up and on the road on 30 minutes.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:46 PM   #7
Site Team

Mine has saved my bacon to many times to list.

Once recently it alerted me to a bad brake assemble when the hub got hot enough to alarm the tire pressure alarm. First alarms were when the centrifugal force was allowing air to leak out of the rubber/metal stems at highway speeds.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings, tire temperature, tires, tpms