Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2022, 08:48 AM   #1

Explanation of fifth wheel weight ratings

We own a 2020 Eagle 30.5CKTS and I have a couple of questions regarding the weight ratings on the stickers on our rig. I understand that the GVWRon one of the stickers is 11,000 pounds, and I’ve always assumed this was the maximum weight our fifth wheel could safely weigh and be towed. A couple of days ago, I saw another weight rating that somehow I had not seen before: this one showed a GCWR (gross combined weight rating) of 14,000 pounds. 3,000 more than the GVWR above. Could someone tell me what the difference is in these two figures? I have always thought that GCWR referred the combined weight of the tow vehicle (truck) and the fifth wheel, correct? Hope someone can clear up the little confusion I’ve got with these two weight numbers. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2022, 08:54 AM   #2

You are correct, gvwr is the max truck weight w/o any trailer, and gcwr is the "combined" weight being the truck and the trailer. 3,000 lbs doesn't seem like a lot of gcwr over gvwr, was it a smaller truck you saw this number on? ~CA
Old 03-28-2022, 08:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickandBecky View Post
We own a 2020 Eagle 30.5CKTS and I have a couple of questions regarding the weight ratings on the stickers on our rig. I understand that the GVWRon one of the stickers is 11,000 pounds, and I’ve always assumed this was the maximum weight our fifth wheel could safely weigh and be towed. A couple of days ago, I saw another weight rating that somehow I had not seen before: this one showed a GCWR (gross combined weight rating) of 14,000 pounds. 3,000 more than the GVWR above. Could someone tell me what the difference is in these two figures? I have always thought that GCWR referred the combined weight of the tow vehicle (truck) and the fifth wheel, correct? Hope someone can clear up the little confusion I’ve got with these two weight numbers. Thanks!
Does it have a tow hitch and harness on the rear? That's probably for double towing. Towing a trailer behind the 5th wheel. Meaning you can tow a 3k trailer behind the 5th wheel.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
You are correct, gvwr is the max truck weight w/o any trailer, and gcwr is the "combined" weight being the truck and the trailer. 3,000 lbs doesn't seem like a lot of gcwr over gvwr, was it a smaller truck you saw this number on? ~CA
Thanks for your reply. I don’t think I was being clear on my question. The weight ratings in my post came from two different stickers on the side of our fifth wheel. My Ford truck’s GVRW is 10,000 pounds. I think the two numbers from the trailer (11,000 and 14,000) are for the fifth wheel only. The combined weight of my truck and the trailer when we are loaded for camping is 18,240 pounds. My main question is what does the GCWR of 14,000 pounds represent?
Old 03-28-2022, 09:03 AM   #5

I was thinking "truck" ratings. Mopar_Earl is correct for explaining the 5th wheel ratings. ~CA
Old 03-28-2022, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
No. My truck is an F250 diesel, with a GVWR of 10,000#’s . I’m questioning the two trailer ratings: 11,000#’s is it’s GVRW. Then there’s the 14,000# GCWR. I think that second number is related to the pin weight of the fifth wheel, but not sure. Trying to understand that one better. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2022, 09:15 AM   #7

Quote:
No. My truck is an F250 diesel, with a GVWR of 10,000#’s . I’m questioning the two trailer ratings: 11,000#’s is it’s GVRW. Then there’s the 14,000# GCWR. I think that second number is related to the pin weight of the fifth wheel, but not sure. Trying to understand that one better. Thanks!
No, that's not for pin weight.

Earl
Old 03-28-2022, 09:19 AM   #8

Quote:
It is the same concept as the truck. The 5th wheel RV itself should never weigh more than 11,000#, and at that, it could pull a small boat (or trailer) not to exceed a "total" trailer weight of the 5th wheel plus the trailer (gcwr) of 14,000#.

That weight is not to say that you can only tow 3,000#, could be 3,500# if the 5th wheel weighs in at 10,500# (for example) or 4,000# if the 5th wheel weighed in at 10,000#. However, most 5th wheels and other trailers are also limited on the rear hitch and setup, if it has a rear hitch.

Not too mention, I pulled a small bass boat behind my 5th wheel years back, certainly not something I would care to do for any long distances but I was happy that I could do that. ~CA
Old 03-28-2022, 09:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Does it have a tow hitch and harness on the rear? That's probably for double towing. Towing a trailer behind the 5th wheel. Meaning you can two a 3k trailer behind the 5th wheel.

Earl
Thanks! We do have a trailer hitch on the rear of our fifth wheel, but I don’t tow anything with it. I do mount a bike rack on occasion when we want to take a couple of bikes with us. Thanks for the answer—clears things up for me!
Old 03-28-2022, 10:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks! We do have a trailer hitch on the rear of our fifth wheel, but I don’t tow anything with it. I do mount a bike rack on occasion when we want to take a couple of bikes with us. Thanks for the answer—clears things up for me!
Technically this means your rv can weigh up to 11000 lbs and then you can add 300 lbs more on your rear trailer hitch and tow up to a 3000 lb trailer
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:11 PM   #11
Site Team

Read this article: https://camperreport.com/what-is-gvw...avel-trailers/
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 01:03 PM   #12

I just thought I would bring to your attention that, your truck is rated to tow 10,000 lbs and your trailer is 11,000 lbs
1. You are exceeding your max tow rating
( you will eventually cause damage to the truck
( you should never exceed 80% of your max towing capacity)
2. If you are involved in an accident
( because you are overweight, you can have your insurance voided and be liable for others damages as well! )
tazz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 03:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz46 View Post
I just thought I would bring to your attention that, your truck is rated to tow 10,000 lbs and your trailer is 11,000 lbs
( because you are overweight, you can have your insurance voided and be liable for others damages as well! )
@tazz46
I totally agree that you should not exceed a vehicle's weight capacities.

However, is the "never exceed 80% of max capacity" an opinion or is that what the manufacturers recommend and/or what the insurance companies and the NTSB require?

If the "80% of max capacity" is a fact from the TV manufacturers, insurance companies, or the NTSB, could you please provide the source(s) that you are citing? If this is fact, there are thousands, if not millions of people, who need this data; a lot of them are on this forum.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 05:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunafulltime View Post
@tazz46
I totally agree that you should not exceed a vehicle's weight capacities.

However, is the "never exceed 80% of max capacity" an opinion or is that what the manufacturers recommend and/or what the insurance companies and the NTSB require?

If the "80% of max capacity" is a fact from the TV manufacturers, insurance companies, or the NTSB, could you please provide the source(s) that you are citing? If this is fact, there are thousands, if not millions of people, who need this data, a lot of them on this forum.
I as well want to see official documents on the 80%. Never heard of such a thing.

Earl
Old 04-10-2022, 06:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz46 View Post
This is wrong. The trucks gvwr is the weight the truck is rated for on its axles. This would include the trailer pin weight but is not the towing capacity. His truck probably has a gcvwr combined rating of 24,000 lbs or more..The tow capacity is probably well over 14,000 lbs with the diesel.
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:44 PM   #16
Site Team

The 80% "rule" isn't documented anywhere. It's just something someone, somewhere thought was a good idea for those that tend to underestimate their weights, equipment, or tow vehicle.

The towing capacity of tow vehicles IS a document. It's SAE J2807, and all manufacturers have to abide by it.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:49 PM   #17

Ricky and Becky,
I have almost exactly the same set up as you. (We have corresponded previously.) I have a 2020 30.5 CKTS, and tow with a 2019 F-250 super cab with 6.75' bed and I have the 10,000# GVWR.
Your question about the two weight ratings on the trailer was answered correctly by Mopar Earl. The 11,000# GVWR is the total weight of your 30.5 CKTS. The 14,000# GCVWR is the total weight of your 30.5CKTS and a trailer attached to the hitch on the rear of your 30.5 CKTS. No matter how you count it; your camper should not exceed 11,000# and if you are towing a tandem trailer your total should not exceed 14,000#.
Your truck's GVWR of 10,000# is the total weight of the truck when all cargo and trailer pin weight is on the truck.
Based on my set-up and experience; you are OK with your truck and the 30.5CKTS even if you have a fifth wheel hitch that is on the heavy side. (You have to count the weight of the hitch and pin weight of the trailer when you calculate the total rear axle weight on your tow vehicle.) I have a B&W Companion slider hitch, and it is on the heavy side, but I'm within my truck front and rear axle max weight and my truck GVWR.
Also remember that trailer towing weight rating for your truck is a separate number that is based on numerous factors, especially your axle gear ratio, cab size, and engine.
It is always best to load and then weigh your entire combination, which will require unhooking the trailer between readings to get an accurate reading for the trailer, the truck, the combined weight of both vehicles, and pin weight.
Use the specifications of your particular truck specs directly from Ford based on your options and axle ratios.
Just don't load your trailer to 14,000# LOL!!
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote