Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2018, 07:41 AM   #1

Extended warranty

Hey everyone. Looking to buy an extended warranty service for my new 377. Want to see others thoughts and who you guys recommend. I'm leaning towards Wholesale warranty right now. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
RKusina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:57 AM   #2

I think most people will tell you the extended warranty premise is not worth it while others swear by it. I don't see the need to purchase an extended warranty on a camper at the time of purchase (assuming it's new) then having to pay interest on something that is already covered by the manufacturer for 2 years. Also, your appliances, axles, and slides are usually covered by their manufacturers warranty for an extended period after the Jayco warranty is up.

Maybe I have just been lucky but my Flight (albeit less complicated than the North Point line) has never been back to the dealer for a problem in 5 years. To me, the extended warranty is a waste of money.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:21 AM   #3

X2 waste of money. Read all the fine print with that warranty, most make you do an annual inspection on your dime at the dealer. And do a Google search on that company, you will probably have all kinds of info from unhappy customers that have been denied coverage on something. I would set that money aside for any needed repairs after the Jayco warranty and bet you have most of it after that extended warranty would have expired.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
X2 waste of money. Read all the fine print with that warranty, most make you do an annual inspection on your dime at the dealer. And do a Google search on that company, you will probably have all kinds of info from unhappy customers that have been denied coverage on something. I would set that money aside for any needed repairs after the Jayco warranty and bet you have most of it after that extended warranty would have expired.
X3
Old 03-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #5

Thanks for the input so far. I have been torn. I didn't go with the dealers plan cause the bad reviews.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
RKusina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #6

Remember, this is a money making item. If the company can afford to pay out "claims" and still stay in business your paying for it. Overall what it means is, the payout is less than your cost of the warranty on average. Many years ago I worked at Sears, we had to push their maintenance program, is was a HUGE money maker for the company. I have never purchased an extended warranty and have never wished I had.

JMHO Put the $ aside and if you have a need you have something to fall back on. The vast majority of units have no major issues.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #7

Extended warranty

As an owner of 3 RVs, I paid for extended warranty on 2 of them and had the cost added to my loan in which I paid interest. I sold 2 of them before the 2 yr warranty was up and received a partial refund of the warranty cost. It doesn’t make sense to purchase it before taking ownership. Save your money and decide (or don’t) to purchase extended warranty right before the 2 yrs is up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Feather Ultra Lite X23B (sold)
IceOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #8

I just bought my newest 5ver. I generally do not do extended warranties. But this time I did get one that adds 6 years past the Jayco one from Easycare. I got the highest end one Easycare has including roadside towing and etc. Honestly, I was torn myself as my dealer is the same ownership as the truck dealer my company buy a huge number of trucks from. I got a really good deal on my 5ver due to that relationship. Also they first offered me the warranty for almost $3000. I turned it down and the General Manager of the whole dealerships I know called me. He talked me about how good Easycare has been and due to our relationship, he would do it at cost. So I ended up paying for it in cash for 1,400. My main point is DO NOT take the original offer. They have A LOT of room in the cost of the warranty. Also look heavily into the warranty company, many new ones can go under and leave you without the warranty. Also check if the warranty company is insured in case they go under so you are covered. Like my example, I looked up and Easycare has been around for 30+ years and is insured. Also check to make sure a warranty doesn't require you to take it every 6 or 12 month for extensive dealer inspections and work. (Mine doesn't)

Anyways I generally in the camp that passes up extended warranties but this time I decided to go with it. Due to I had many issues out of warranty with stuff in my old 5ver (Different brand), due to the warranties low cost, and the high recommendation of someone I trust. But also I didn't wrap into the loan which adds cost. So now I don't have to worry about any repairs for the time I plan on owning it. The warranty also surpasses the time I will be making a payment on it.
Chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #9

I bought a jayco 36fbts. Loaded with lots of features. The extended warranty was transferred to me. It has saved me about 1000 dollars. It is a 7 year warranty. There are a few high dollar items and a few hard to do items that would be great for a warranty. In the end I still would not buy it at time of purchase. Maybe later.
Tim&paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:45 PM   #10

I have a simple rule to all extended warranties and protection plans - say no to all of them. At almost age 50 not once have I ever regretted saying NO! These companies are in business to make money and the odds are well in their favor.
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote