Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2016, 07:56 PM   #11

I went w/ the GoodSam ESP. My dealer said they have good experiences dealing with GoodSam. I also chose them b/c I could finance it interest free by paying the cost of the plan in yearly installments. I use my Amex Blue cash rebate to pay for it; so I never feel it.

Oh, and the price was competitive and my dealer couldn't touch it.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:17 PM   #12

I have a simple rule - say no to all extended warranties. The reason these companies are selling you these is because the odds are in their favor to make money off them. You're better off taking that money and putting it in a savings account in case something happens.

But some people like the piece of mind knowing that they have it.

estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by estesbubba View Post
I have a simple rule - say no to all extended warranties. The reason these companies are selling you these is because the odds are in their favor to make money off them. You're better off taking that money and putting it in a savings account in case something happens.
That's the way it was explained to me as well. You're making a wager with the warranty provider. You're betting the price of the extended warranty that something will go wrong with the item during the warranty period, and they're betting the cost of the repairs that nothing will. And since the odds always favor the house, they're the ultimate winners.

Jayco makes a quality unit, so the chances of something going wrong within the first few years after the factory warranty runs out are pretty slim. RVs are pretty simple things, so anyone even a little bit handy can repair most things without too much difficulty.

FWIW, over the years I've only bought one extended warranty on an item, and ended up not using it.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:49 PM   #14

I don't know of ANY consumer expert or reporter in the media that recommends buying an extended warranty on any type of product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:10 PM   #15

Jopopsy is correct. I would not buy an ESP plan from a dealer. If I were to buy one, it would be close to the end of the factory warranty and then probably from Good Sam.

Unlike many warranty companies, Good Sam will still be around.

Murff
Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:03 PM   #16

As I explained in my first post. I am always in the no buy crowd myself. I rarely even listen to the pitch and just close my ears. The dealer took my no, stopped talking and not another word was said. This was all on me when I got home, started thinking about all the slides and electronics and thought about it, especially hearing of slide failures and what not.

Of course it is a wager and of course the house wins.

That's the reason I phrased the question the way I did... is there a price point that you guys who never buy (like myself) would actually consider purchasing one and what would that number be to you.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:34 AM   #17
Site Team

The price point for me would be the cost of a replacement Fridge, and AC unit. Bank that and I would have the cost of what I would expect a warranty to cover in the 5 years after the 2 yr rolls out.

Many I know spend much valuable brain cells negotiating with these companies on what is a defect and what is normal wear and tear. I justify not spending that money up front and taking a chance. So far on 2 new rigs, it has saved me money.

Now on another subject, when I purchased my F350 6.0 diesel, I did buy a 5 year warranty and I broke even with the cost of it.

So I am still out the same cost as the original outlay.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:56 AM   #18

Just wanted to add. I think you can also get individual coverage on a appliance or such if you wish. Just saying this because about 2 weeks ago a got an offer in the mail for the convention oven combo in my unit I purchased in Dec 2015. I think the offer was around 42.00 for 3 extra years of coverage. Didn't get it but if one comes for the refrigerator I would probably get that for sure. Maybe another possible option.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:42 PM   #19

I think one reason nobody answered your original question is there are too many variables.
Some people on the forum have Popup trailers with no AC and no appliances- others have large Motorhomes with drive trains and commercial home appliances, dual air, built in vacuum, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #20

Buddy Ray, that didn't occur to me. I had intended to post on the fifth wheel forum. I guess I should have stated that this is on a Eagle fifth wheel.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk