Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #1

Extended Warranty - At what price does it become reasonable to buy

I'm picking up my new 355 MBQS in the morning. I've had several days to go through the unit and other than a couple of small cosmetic defects I really cannot find any issues, we are excited to get it home and take it out on a shakedown trip. I know there will be something to deal with, but I really cannot find anything at this point. We will do our final walkthrough in the morning, sign paperwork and take it home.

When I was down there today, the dealer asked me if I was interested in any additional warranty. My immediate response was no. That was it, there was no sell, there was no pressure.

Well now that has been nagging at me in the back of my mind. So I called him back and asked a few questions. It is a seven year warranty (really it's only five as it comes with two and the plan extends the warranty by five years for a total of seven), it is zero deductable and covers anything that would fail, appliances, auto-level, slides etc. It does not cover a lack of maintenace. However the dealership will do annual caulkings, winterizing and inspections as part of the agreement as an incentive to buy it.

My biggest concern is that this unit has four slides and the auto-level system. Lots of technology that could fail. I'm a fairly handy person and for the most part take care of things myself. But I cant quit thinking about all the slides.

So my question to you is not whether or not I should purchase it....as I know most would not purchase it, including myself.

But at what dollar amount WOULD YOU purchase it....at what point does it become so trivial that it doesn't make sense not to have the insurance.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:29 PM   #2

For me, they would have to throw it in for free. Now I say that because my last TT came with the 5 yr warranty for free. It was one of the "freebies" at the RV show. Actually, I purchased my TT a month before the RV show and I was told that they would honor any incentives that were offered at the show...of course I had to go to the show to find out what the incentives were.

Having said that, I do not have the extra warranty on my current 377...it wasn't free!
Old 07-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
For me, they would have to throw it in for free. Now I say that because my last TT came with the 5 yr warranty for free. It was one of the "freebies" at the RV show. Actually, I purchased my TT a month before the RV show and I was told that they would honor any incentives that were offered at the show...of course I had to go to the show to find out what the incentives were.

Having said that, I do not have the extra warranty on my current 377...it wasn't free!
I'm curious, did you ever have to use the extended warranty? and What did they want for the warranty on the 377
Old 07-06-2016, 04:39 PM   #4

It's not so much that it covers the little "DIY" items, but it covers the high dollar parts.

I have one on the PINNACLE because of all the electronic gadgets. It also has a prorated refund clause which I also had on my last 2 units. Take the initial cost and divide by 5. Is that an "insurance cost" your willing to pay. I was.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
I'm curious, did you ever have to use the extended warranty? and What did they want for the warranty on the 377
I did not have to use the policy, as I only had the previous TT for 2 years before upgrading to the 5er.

As for the price...I don't recall how much it was, but there were 3 categories (like bronze; silver; & gold). I don't recall the prices of each, but I think the gold was somewhere in the neighborhood of $7-8k.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I did not have to use the policy, as I only had the previous TT for 2 years before upgrading to the 5er.

As for the price...I don't recall how much it was, but there were 3 categories (like bronze; silver; & gold). I don't recall the prices of each, but I think the gold was somewhere in the neighborhood of $7-8k.

Thanks for sharing the information with me. It's nice to know you didn't need the coverage. That's encouraging.

Nothing about a tiered system was mentioned. I will ask that question.

I appreciate your response.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #7

You can always purchase one later if you wish. I initially purchased the dealer extended warranty (3900. - 0 ded.) but then decided to cancel after talking with others. When I have an issue, I'm not the type who likes playing the cat and mouse game or jumping through hoops waiting for approval. You really need to do the research on what company your dealing with and what others have experienced. Some have good things to say and others not so. I'm still shopping around and will probably get another in the near future.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:17 PM   #8
Site Team

Even if you turn it down, you can still buy one. As stated be sure about the company backing it. I have heard good and bad experiences.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:29 PM   #9

Remember, you can haggle the cost of the warranty, too.

Wound up getting the 5 extra years for a total of 7 on our 2016 355MBQS for less than $400 per year.....($2000). It is there platinum coverage for what that is worth. The first price they quoted was $5000.........
Old 07-06-2016, 05:48 PM   #10

Extended warranty

At time of purchase, dealer said 23 months to decide on added 4 years of total coverage for $2000 CDN. Will see if stuff gives trouble and then decide. First trip zero issues, just several suggestions for Jayco.

2015 Sierra 2500 SLT Duramax CC, Nav, Onstar WIFI, 20K Reese Elite
fljl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:56 PM   #11

I went w/ the GoodSam ESP. My dealer said they have good experiences dealing with GoodSam. I also chose them b/c I could finance it interest free by paying the cost of the plan in yearly installments. I use my Amex Blue cash rebate to pay for it; so I never feel it.

Oh, and the price was competitive and my dealer couldn't touch it.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #12

I have a simple rule - say no to all extended warranties. The reason these companies are selling you these is because the odds are in their favor to make money off them. You're better off taking that money and putting it in a savings account in case something happens.

But some people like the piece of mind knowing that they have it.
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by estesbubba View Post
I have a simple rule - say no to all extended warranties. The reason these companies are selling you these is because the odds are in their favor to make money off them. You're better off taking that money and putting it in a savings account in case something happens.
That's the way it was explained to me as well. You're making a wager with the warranty provider. You're betting the price of the extended warranty that something will go wrong with the item during the warranty period, and they're betting the cost of the repairs that nothing will. And since the odds always favor the house, they're the ultimate winners.

Jayco makes a quality unit, so the chances of something going wrong within the first few years after the factory warranty runs out are pretty slim. RVs are pretty simple things, so anyone even a little bit handy can repair most things without too much difficulty.

FWIW, over the years I've only bought one extended warranty on an item, and ended up not using it.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #14

I don't know of ANY consumer expert or reporter in the media that recommends buying an extended warranty on any type of product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #15

Jopopsy is correct. I would not buy an ESP plan from a dealer. If I were to buy one, it would be close to the end of the factory warranty and then probably from Good Sam.

Unlike many warranty companies, Good Sam will still be around.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #16

As I explained in my first post. I am always in the no buy crowd myself. I rarely even listen to the pitch and just close my ears. The dealer took my no, stopped talking and not another word was said. This was all on me when I got home, started thinking about all the slides and electronics and thought about it, especially hearing of slide failures and what not.

Of course it is a wager and of course the house wins.

That's the reason I phrased the question the way I did... is there a price point that you guys who never buy (like myself) would actually consider purchasing one and what would that number be to you.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:34 AM   #17
Site Team

The price point for me would be the cost of a replacement Fridge, and AC unit. Bank that and I would have the cost of what I would expect a warranty to cover in the 5 years after the 2 yr rolls out.

Many I know spend much valuable brain cells negotiating with these companies on what is a defect and what is normal wear and tear. I justify not spending that money up front and taking a chance. So far on 2 new rigs, it has saved me money.

Now on another subject, when I purchased my F350 6.0 diesel, I did buy a 5 year warranty and I broke even with the cost of it.

So I am still out the same cost as the original outlay.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #18

Just wanted to add. I think you can also get individual coverage on a appliance or such if you wish. Just saying this because about 2 weeks ago a got an offer in the mail for the convention oven combo in my unit I purchased in Dec 2015. I think the offer was around 42.00 for 3 extra years of coverage. Didn't get it but if one comes for the refrigerator I would probably get that for sure. Maybe another possible option.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #19

I think one reason nobody answered your original question is there are too many variables.
Some people on the forum have Popup trailers with no AC and no appliances- others have large Motorhomes with drive trains and commercial home appliances, dual air, built in vacuum, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #20

Buddy Ray, that didn't occur to me. I had intended to post on the fifth wheel forum. I guess I should have stated that this is on a Eagle fifth wheel.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk