Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2017, 08:44 AM   #1

Extended warranty ?'s

So I got the call that our camper will be here this coming week, but while I was on the phone with the finance guy he asked about extended warranty. He said they use a company called compass, anyone have experience with them, or any other companies. I am usually against extended warranties on my vehicles, but the rv's always seem to need extra work that is expensive.
Cummins-a-pullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:47 AM   #2

I am looking at a used Melbourne 24l with 4,000 miles on it. I'm wondering about extended warranty also, because I won't get the Jayco 2 year original owner warranty.
prairielu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins-a-pullin View Post
He said they use a company called compass, anyone have experience with them, or any other companies.
Does it have a $0 deductible if work is done at their shop?

Does it give you a refund if you sell or trade before the ext warranty ends?

I have bought those type ext warranty with very good results, when needed.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:26 AM   #4

Extended warranties are a gamble. On a new Jayco, I don't see the need for them since all of the items are covered under a 2 year warranty already. Some will chime in that they had an A/C or other major issue fail after the 2 year warranty but how much did that warranty (principal and interest) actually cost them after any deductible? I opted to skip the warranty when we bough our TT and I am glad I did....4 years in this camper and we have never had an issue that required us to return to the dealer.

You really need to read the fine print on what is covered and what isn't. Warranty companies also tend to change names or go out of business frequently so do your research on the company before making your choice.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #5

Mostly a profit maker for the dealer.

Did you know you can negotiate the price of an extended warranty just like the price of your RV? If you get the warranty, ask for it 's cheapest cost. Mr. Finance Guy may lie to you and tell you it isn't negotiable. Tell him in that case you don't want it. If he reduces the price, you will know how trustworthy he is.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:48 AM   #6

This is all great info, I've always been against extended warranties for the reasons above. i just wanted to see if anyone had experience with this particular company, or if these were worth.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:08 AM   #7

Extended warranties are priced so the company makes money most of the time. Would you buy a stock that you had a 20% chance of making money on? I have a simple rule no say no to all extended warranties.
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:41 AM   #8

One thing that is definitely making me think it's a bad deal is when I asked him to email me the info on the warranty, he said he would have all the info for when I came in to pick the camper up. I always research and read before I make a purchase, so the fact that they are giving me no time on this other than when I will be busy looking at the new camper, makes me say hell no to this warranty lol.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:43 AM   #9

Quote:
One thing that is definitely making me think it's a bad deal is when I asked him to email me the info on the warranty, he said he would have all the info for when I came in to pick the camper up. I always research and read before I make a purchase, so the fact that they are giving me no time on this other than when I will be busy looking at the new camper, makes me say hell no to this warranty lol.
Most dealers I know will sell you an extended warranty up until the time your factory warranty runs out. They just want to make sure it has been in warranty before the extended warranty goes into affect. They also should have a brochure on hand explaining their extended warranty.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:58 AM   #10

My experiences with extended warranties has be negative. But before rejecting it consider these factors: What is the cost? What does it actually cover ... specifics?
Remember, dealers make a lot of money on these and the person selling it gets a big fat commission. Take the copy of the agreement and have an attorney review it. That investment of a few hundred dollars may save you a few thousand.
usafdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:58 PM   #11

Quote:
So I got the call that our camper will be here this coming week, but while I was on the phone with the finance guy he asked about extended warranty. He said they use a company called compass, anyone have experience with them, or any other companies. I am usually against extended warranties on my vehicles, but the rv's always seem to need extra work that is expensive.
I did some research. Go to www/consumeraffairs.com and search under American Guardian Warranty Service (Compass is a division of AGWS). The reviews are a list of horror stories. Save your money. If you want to do a little more in-depth research call some independent RV service centers in your area, in your state, or in other states. Ask the for their opinion of this company or similar types of services and for their recommendations. Hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielu View Post
I am looking at a used Melbourne 24l with 4,000 miles on it. I'm wondering about extended warranty also, because I won't get the Jayco 2 year original owner warranty.
Call some independent RV service centers in your area, in your state, or in other states. Ask their opinion of extended services and for their recommendations.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:55 AM   #13

The only extended service plan I ever liked was one from Honda. At the end of the period if you didn't use it you got your money back. Best $1600 I ever paid out (and then got back). Could not believe it when the salesman sold us on it.

Have to carefully look at the extended warranties. Sometimes high deductibles. Sometimes restricted to certain portions of vehicle or will only cover work done by selected shops (which may not be near you when you need it).
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:51 PM   #14

Extended warranties are just expensive toilet paper. Usually about the time you need it they will come up with some excuse not to pay. If you want to waste your money you can buy some Hanebisho, its only $17 a roll, still cheaper than an extended warranty.
highlife4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairielu View Post
I'm not a fan of extended warranties. Had a bad experience on one with a car we bought decades ago. Have avoided them ever since. In your case, however, since you do not have any warranty you should look into one.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
The only extended service plan I ever liked was one from Honda. At the end of the period if you didn't use it you got your money back.
That's what I've had on my last two motorhomes. Even got money back on the last one before the term was up and they paid for a radiator for our 08 SENECA. Every one my dealer sold me had $0 deductible if the work was done in their shop. And the up side, both covered mobile service if we were on the road.

Just a guess, but I'll bet most of those who say, no, never, not worth it, have never bought one.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:15 PM   #17

I think it depends on what you expect the extended warranty (really an insurance plan, not a warranty) to cover and of course what it costs. If you don't have repair skills, they might be worth it. However, most of the time, these warranties do NOT cover the really big ticket items (like water damage).
Damage from accidents, whether on the road or parked in your driveway, are normally covered by your regular insurance policies.
When you think about it, a travel trailer/5vr is just relatively simple appliances that do not cost that much to repair.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:50 PM   #18

Mostly wanted the warranty to cover water damage or roof(I believe the roof is pro-rated from the factory). Most other things I can fix myself.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:12 PM   #19

If so I'd read the fine print very carefully. There are many ways to generate a leak and many of those can be blamed on you.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Mostly wanted the warranty to cover water damage or roof(I believe the roof is pro-rated from the factory). Most other things I can fix myself.
Our extended warranty EXCLUDES the roof material

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote