Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2018, 01:53 PM   #1

F-350 King Ranch

Okay campers,

I am currently in the middle of deciding weather or not to trade in my 2016 Sierra 3500 Denali SRW for a 2019 F-350 King Ranch DRW. I love the amount of towing features the Ford's offer, and the extra power. I love my current truck and generally hate the thought of owning a dually, but with our trailer being a 377RLBH, and an upcoming spring trip out West, I think it would be a wise move. Anyone have this truck, and if so thoughts? Are the dually's really a lot better for towing, or is there a minimal difference over a SRW?

mjudkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #2

Our friends had a 2500 GMC SRW and upgraded to a 2017 F350 DRW. They had the 2500 for about 5 years towing their 5vr. When they upgraded to the F350, they said they noticed a big difference in towing the 5vr, especially when semis went past.

All of our trucks have been a dually because DW's uncle said that was best for towing & that was in the late 90's. Good luck.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:31 PM   #3

Well, I had a big long reply type and then I lost it when the browser closed

I went from an '11 F350 LB DRW to the '17 Chev SB SRW. I like the Chev much better for everything, even towing. Depends on your pin weight. I'm right at the max for my rear axle with my current trailer load balance. Switching out the AGM's for Li batteries would fix that.

After 4 yrs or the DRW being my daily as well I was pretty much tired of owning a dually. It rode like crap too.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
Our friends had a 2500 GMC SRW and upgraded to a 2017 F350 DRW. They had the 2500 for about 5 years towing their 5vr. When they upgraded to the F350, they said they noticed a big difference in towing the 5vr, especially when semis went past.

All of our trucks have been a dually because DW's uncle said that was best for towing & that was in the late 90's. Good luck.
Were they overloaded with the 2500? Big jump in payload capacity in that switch.

With the SRW I only notice rear end squirm when I'm following a dirty air load (car hauler or tanker) and the air is buffeting the front of the fiver. That's the tire sidewall stiffness and I now have 1/2 as many sidewalls. No diff on a 2 lane with a truck coming the other way compared to the DRW.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #5

I love my dually! No sway no matter what comes by you. I also use it as my daily driver and really have no problems parking ect. It's just a matter of knowing your truck and the newer dually's seem to have a better ride than the older one's in my opinion
2020 F-450 Lariat 6.7l CCLB DRW
rkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelly View Post
I love my dually! No sway no matter what comes by you. I also use it as my daily driver and really have no problems parking ect. It's just a matter of knowing your truck and the newer dually's seem to have a better ride than the older one's in my opinion
I haven't had any sway issues at all with my SRW. It tows like a champ, just not always a fan of hills. I've got about 1,000lbs to play with from my max tow rating to standard specs, so I'm in the upper part of that. I put the ride-rite rear air suspension on and that really made the ride smoother and raised the rear end to almost level at 75psi. But I know the DRW F-350 can pull about 10k more than my truck. I keep hearing of people that have issues with the 6.7L Powerstroke, but I have friends with 2017-2018s and they have had no issues at all. Have you had any issues with it?

Old 12-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelly View Post
Depends where you park I suppose, some pay lots charged me for 2 spaces cause I couldn't fit in one, but that's in the city.

If you love yours then enjoy. After 4 yrs I was happy to be back in a SB SRW. I get my exercise by means other than walking from the far reaches of the HomeDepot parking lot LOL. The Ford rear is sprung different to a GM as well so on rough gravel roads the rear end skated a lot.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjudkins View Post
I haven't had any sway issues at all with my SRW. It tows like a champ, just not always a fan of hills. I've got about 1,000lbs to play with from my max tow rating to standard specs, so I'm in the upper part of that. I put the ride-rite rear air suspension on and that really made the ride smoother and raised the rear end to almost level at 75psi. But I know the DRW F-350 can pull about 10k more than my truck. I keep hearing of people that have issues with the 6.7L Powerstroke, but I have friends with 2017-2018s and they have had no issues at all. Have you had any issues with it?
DRW won't do anything for you on hills. Any gain in power will though. If you're 1000# under the rear axle wt rating on the SRW why do you want a dually?

Also, unloaded a DRW has less traction that a SRW on slippery surfaces.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:08 PM   #9

Love my 17 F350 Dually with my 377!!Click image for larger version

Name:	20180415_092034.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	45818
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Okay campers,

I am currently in the middle of deciding weather or not to trade in my 2016 Sierra 3500 Denali SRW for a 2019 F-350 King Ranch DRW. I love the amount of towing features the Ford's offer, and the extra power. I love my current truck and generally hate the thought of owning a dually, but with our trailer being a 377RLBH, and an upcoming spring trip out West, I think it would be a wise move. Anyone have this truck, and if so thoughts? Are the dually's really a lot better for towing, or is there a minimal difference over a SRW?
FWIW, I bought a new RAM 3500 SRW in December of last year BEFORE purchasing my NP. Drove 350 miles from the Jayco dealer to home in a cross wind of 25 to 30 mph. When I got home I needed a crowbar to pry my hands from the steering wheel. The "tail" was wagging the dog the whole way. Within a month I purchased a new RAM 3500 DRW and couldn't be happier! IMO, a huge difference. That truck rides like a Cadillac, towing or not. Don't make the mistake I made!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #11

Just something to think about next fall the new chevy’s will be out, there is talk of them raising the towing capacity, changing the tow mirrors, relocating the def tank, and of course a new body style. I think all three auto makers make good trucks, I do agree gm is behind as always with the new gadgets on their trucks. I like my gmc, the Allison tranny has been good to me. I personally wouldn’t go to a drw unless I was a full timer. But those new fords are good looking. Good luck on your decision.

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringneks View Post
Just something to think about next fall the new chevy’s will be out, there is talk of them raising the towing capacity, changing the tow mirrors, relocating the def tank, and of course a new body style. I think all three auto makers make good trucks, I do agree gm is behind as always with the new gadgets on their trucks. I like my gmc, the Allison tranny has been good to me. I personally wouldn’t go to a drw unless I was a full timer. But those new fords are good looking. Good luck on your decision.
So looks like we have the same truck currently. I think it pulls ok, it just still sags in the rear with the bags. I really like the advanced towing features that Ford offers (blind spot, backing cameras, etc). The GMC has been great to me, and never causes issues. I just think on longer trips it's not as comfortable as it could be. I don't think it's overweight necessarily, but sometimes feels like it's at the top of its limit.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:48 PM   #13

I went from a F250 diesel SRW to a Ram 3500DRW. Pulling a 361REQS. Love the ease of pulling this rig now. As others have said it is more difficult to park but take the good with the inconvenience. Good luck
camper59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper59 View Post
I went from a F250 diesel SRW to a Ram 3500DRW. Pulling a 361REQS. Love the ease of pulling this rig now. As others have said it is more difficult to park but take the good with the inconvenience. Good luck
If you were towing a 361 with the 3/4t then you were overloaded. Going to a 1T truck was the right move, DRW or not.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
FWIW, I bought a new RAM 3500 SRW in December of last year BEFORE purchasing my NP. Drove 350 miles from the Jayco dealer to home in a cross wind of 25 to 30 mph. When I got home I needed a crowbar to pry my hands from the steering wheel. The "tail" was wagging the dog the whole way. Within a month I purchased a new RAM 3500 DRW and couldn't be happier! IMO, a huge difference. That truck rides like a Cadillac, towing or not. Don't make the mistake I made!
Sounds like a knock on the Dodge.

Last winter I towed in crosswinds that were pushing the trailer around but a dually wouldn't have made any difference nor did it the prior year when I had the same trailer in the same conditions with a dually.

With the same loading my Ford sat significantly lower at the back than the Chev (which sits pretty much dead flat)
Old 12-03-2018, 07:25 PM   #16

What’s the pricing difference between the F350 DRW and the F450? I think if I was in the market looking to buy a Ford DRW, I’d look at the F450 and get as much capacity as possible.

I actually think Ford doesn’t need the F350 DRW in the model line when they have the F450.

Gone but not forgotten:
Harvey – *SOLD* 2018 Eagle HT TT 314BHDS
Big D - 2002 F250 XLT CCSB 7.3L Power Stroke (semi-retired)
NorCal Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:56 PM   #17

Quote:
None at all. The truck is amazing to tow with.
rkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
Were they overloaded with the 2500? Big jump in payload capacity in that switch.
No they were not overloaded with the 2500 - the original owner of the 2500 had a Jayco Designer fully loaded. The F350 allows them to get a bigger unit should they decide.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Eagle View Post
What’s the pricing difference between the F350 DRW and the F450? I think if I was in the market looking to buy a Ford DRW, I’d look at the F450 and get as much capacity as possible.

I actually think Ford doesn’t need the F350 DRW in the model line when they have the F450.
Unless you get pushed into a commercial class, which varies state by state, I vote F450, too.

Just picked one up, Platinum Edition, and it is fantastic, both hooked up to my 377 and solo.

The tighter turning radius of the F450 is the selling point, it technically is rated slightly lower than F350 in towing capacity due to heavier components used. Even the rated capacity is far beyond any Jayco pin weight, and is most likely artificially limited so as not to push it into the next weight class.

FYI, some of the towing tech isn't applicable to a 5th wheel. The blind spot sensors get disabled if you select 5th wheel from the towing menu. And you can't deploy any cameras once you are under way.

But the truck is Capable with a capital C. With the 4.30:1 rear diff and 935ftlbs torque, it gets out of the hole like there is no trailer attached. Cruises on the hiway effortlessly, can overtake slower traffic without breaking a sweat. With my old GMC dually, that took lots of planning before popping into the passing lane with my 377 attached.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
Unless you get pushed into a commercial class, which varies state by state, I vote F450, too.

Just picked one up, Platinum Edition, and it is fantastic, both hooked up to my 377 and solo.

The tighter turning radius of the F450 is the selling point, it technically is rated slightly lower than F350 in towing capacity due to heavier components used. Even the rated capacity is far beyond any Jayco pin weight, and is most likely artificially limited so as not to push it into the next weight class.

FYI, some of the towing tech isn't applicable to a 5th wheel. The blind spot sensors get disabled if you select 5th wheel from the towing menu. And you can't deploy any cameras once you are under way.

But the truck is Capable with a capital C. With the 4.30:1 rear diff and 935ftlbs torque, it gets out of the hole like there is no trailer attached. Cruises on the hiway effortlessly, can overtake slower traffic without breaking a sweat. With my old GMC dually, that took lots of planning before popping into the passing lane with my 377 attached.
Beautiful truck! Love that color too.

I guess I should have said capable rather than capacity. And from my understanding the F450 has bigger brakes over the F350 plus, of course, different axles with 10-lug wheels vs 8-lug. I think overall its the better investment if you're towing heavy.

Gone but not forgotten:
Harvey – *SOLD* 2018 Eagle HT TT 314BHDS
Big D - 2002 F250 XLT CCSB 7.3L Power Stroke (semi-retired)
NorCal Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote