Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2020, 05:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk734 View Post
Forget wax. I tried it all. I power sanded mine and here is my rust-oleum $10 industrial paint job. It is not perfect but I am happy. I had brushes and rollers and pan. 2 paint shops wanted $2,000 to paint it. Factory gave me the decals free. My lovely wife help me with decals.

Attachment 65067

Looks good to me. How far did you sand down to? Orbital Sander to rough up the finish?
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:39 PM   #22

FYI Jayco has been paying to have many of these repainted due to this fading issue and we have had ours done by a local coach repair shop where they used automotive grade paint. For those who may see this post and are still within warranty you may want to investigate with your dealer to see if you can get this covered. Well worth checking as my dealer when I last spoke with them had about 18 of them done at last count.
Wilsonbryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #23

Very nice!
Edena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:54 PM   #24

Try This

I think I am going to try a Bug Banner [ www.bugbanner.com] It should help with oxidization in addition to making things easier to clean. Additionally there is a Forest River 5er stored next to our Eagle HTX that was purchased about 2 weeks prior to ours. The oxidation is far worse on it and the nose is white which should be better.
Cenvalleysteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truman View Post
Sorry this will be so long. For those of you with a faded front cap, I have a 2018 28.5 RSTS and I have had fade from the top about half way down. Every 4-6 weeks I've gotten up a ladder, used Mother's CMX ceramic wax with an applicator and a lot of elbow grease to take off some oxidation. Although not perfect it did bring back some color. My intention was at some point breaking down and paying to have it painted.
While making a last ditch effort, I search youtube videos again and found a guy that recommended using Mcguiars marine/rv 1 step compound #67 with a polisher and then putting Mcguiars Marine Flagship wax on afterwords. After seeing his results I thought I would try it.
I went to Harbor Freight and bought their $40.00 polisher along with a 5 pack of wool buffer pads. I used the compound on the cap and believe it or not it brought the cap back to looking like it came out of the factory, nice and shiny. I then applied the wax to give the finish some protection. I am very happy with the finish ed results. Unfortunately I did burn a small section of the decals but I can live with that.
Here are some photos of the finish results.
1st photo is what it looked like after I put on the Mother's ceramic wax 2 weeks ago. Photos 2-5 are the finish results after applying the Mcguiars products. I hope it will have a longer shine then waxing it every 4-5 weeks. I hope this helps folks that think all is lost to the fading.
Thanks for the info! My 2019 Redhawk, (that weird owned for 2 yrs), cap is also starting to fade. I’ll give this a try.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #26

Good idea. Following. thanks.

davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:37 PM   #27

You can’t complain about perfection. Nice job and thanks for the product recommendations
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:33 AM   #28

Call Jayco direct. They are standing behind a total cap repaint. Evidently there was a UV agent not in the paint in many, many units causing the fade your experiencing. Although your work looks outstanding, the fade will return over time.
Steven&Teresa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:43 AM   #29

update

Truman,

Would like to see a 2-3 month update and how often you had to wax to maintain it.
Thanks
Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
BLTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:34 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven&Teresa1 View Post
Call Jayco direct. They are standing behind a total cap repaint. Evidently there was a UV agent not in the paint in many, many units causing the fade your experiencing. Although your work looks outstanding, the fade will return over time.
Is this only for those still under warranty?
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:44 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Is this only for those still under warranty?
Jayco won't even discuss it with me as I am the second owner and they claim no longer under warranty.
Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
BLTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:49 PM   #32

before you wax it put a sealer on under it first then wax over that... the sealer will last longer than wax...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Looks good to me. How far did you sand down to? Orbital Sander to rough up the finish?
I followed instructions on spec sheet. I took it down quite a bit since tried sanding lightly on one of my tries. The picture I took was when the cap was covered heavily in dust and some reflection from clouds showed. Here is a new shot when I went over it with some warm water to clean bugs off. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201104_095141.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	65217
Sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:06 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk734 View Post
I followed instructions on spec sheet. I took it down quite a bit since tried sanding lightly on one of my tries. The picture I took was when the cap was covered heavily in dust and some reflection from clouds showed. Here is a new shot when I went over it with some warm water to clean bugs off. Attachment 65217
The paint job has been on for almost 2 years with no waxing. I waited to put decals on to see how it would hold up. I live in north AL and the sun is brutal. It is parked outside all year round. Looks as good as the day I painted it.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:26 PM   #35

orbital from harbor freight
Old 11-06-2020, 02:51 PM   #36

Thanks, I will probably do the same thing if I ever have to address it again.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #37
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven&Teresa1 View Post

They don't if you are out of warranty and many of these are not really an issues to at or near the end of warranty.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:34 PM   #38

Update: 11/26/2020, still holding a great shine on the cap. 2 months no fading.
Truman is offline   Reply With Quote