Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2016, 08:11 AM   #1

FBTS 1/2 bath sewer odor

We have a 2015 FBTS and have a problem with sewer odor in the half bath. I can not find on the forum if someone else is having the same problem, so here goes. We have Maxx Air covers over the bathroom vent. We rinse the tank a bunch. We put water and chemicals in the tank after it is dumped. We only use the exhaust fan after our business is done. The bathroom vent stays closed until the fan is turned on. Our dealer says they have checked everything and it is ok. The solution they have come up with is the tank vent is too close to the vent and is pulling odor back in. Does anybody else have this problem and what did you find? Thanks for the help.
R&TB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:09 AM   #2

Try replacing the AAV. I had the same issue on an SOB 5th wheel. It was bad from the factory. It's under the sink. Every time someone took a shower it smelled horrible. Replaced the AAV with one of theses and the smell never came back.
Sure-Vent 1-1/2 in. x 2 in. PVC Air Admittance Valve-39016 - The Home Depot
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:12 AM   #3

That was one of the things that's the tech at Jayco suggested. The dealer says that is not the problem. I have another call in to Jayco to try and make the dealer replace it. I am getting upset with my dealer. The trailer has been there since Nov6. We went over a couple of weeks ago when they told us it was done , only to find that several things had not been completed yet. Not happy
Old 03-31-2016, 06:16 PM   #4

Could be a bad or poorly set toilet seal, allowing the black tank smell to slip by.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #5

I'm having similar issues and my problem I'm thinking is a small leak around the seal. I have a small chip in the porcelain just above the seal and water seeps out slowly. I'm still under warranty and going to see if i can get the toilet replaced.
jayfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Could be a bad or poorly set toilet seal, allowing the black tank smell to slip by.
If you toilet is not holding water, then it probably is a bad seal.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
If you toilet is not holding water, then it probably is a bad seal.
I think he may be referring to the floor seal that the toilet sits on, not the ball/blade seal in the toilet.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
I think he may be referring to the floor seal that the toilet sits on, not the ball/blade seal in the toilet.
Yep, the flange seal, not the bowl seal.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #9

More news form the dealer. Now they are telling me that the vent pipe going through the roof is too close to the Maxx air vent covers. This is allowing the odor to go up the vent pipe, in the Maxx air cover and down the bathroom ceiling vent. That doesn't seem right to me since we normally leave the bathroom vent closed. I am trying to persuade Jayco to have the dealer replace the AAV under the sink and remove the toilet and inspect the seal under the bowl.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #10

Tell them to pressurize the system with 5 lbs of air and find the leak.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #11

Just curious, how do you pressurize a black tank system?
Old 04-04-2016, 01:15 PM   #12

Pop the vent cover off the stink pipe on the roof and clamp on a rubber coupling then attach another ABS pipe configured with an air valve and guage on the end and fill it with a compressor. Keep the pressure low 2.5lbs would do, so you don't pop anything.
It would take a lot of air because of the big tank.
Then use a smoke pen to find the leak.
Or maybe just your nose.

perhaps they didn't attach your stink pipe to the tank and the tank is right below your 1/2 bath
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #13

I have sent klassics suggestion to Jayco. I will have to wait and see what they say. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #14

This winter we kept smelling a strong odor up in our shower bedroom area on our pinnacle 36reqs . After tracking it down we found that it was coming from the closet where it was prep for a washer and dryer. I first thought they forgot to plug the trap. But that was ok . Then I saw they had what is called a add a vent ! The rubber flapper that is supposed to stop the fumes would open when you turn on the exhaust vent and pull the grey water tank smell into the cabin . Took it off and plugged it ! Smell all gone
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:42 AM   #15

I contacted jayco AGAIN. They had never hear off pressurizing a black tank, sounds like that won't be getting done. They did agree to replace the AAV under the sink, if the dealer has one in stock. They also said they would remora the toilet and inspect and replace the seal if needed. I did send him a picture of the best on the roof and he expressed single concern that the vent pipe did not extend far enough through the rubber boot on the roof. He thought this might allow the odor to come back through the ceiling. They will have the dealer check that also. I am hoping they get it done so I can pick it up Saturday. They have had it fot 5 months now and our first trip is planned for next weekend.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #16

Picked up our trailer Thursday and went for a weekend outing. First flush in the half bath and the odor is back. The dealer said he replaced the gate valve seal. They "think" the AAV is in the wall and did not check it. I did consult another dealer and he suggested running the black tank flush with the dump valve closed. Go up on the roof and check for air coming out of the vent pipe. If no air comes out it means the vent pipe is clogged. I am not sure when I will be able to perform this test. I will try to keep you informed.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:03 AM   #17

That sounds like a good idea since the air has to be displaced somewhere when filling. Just ensure u do not overfill tank. AZ said he was doing a black flush and filled tank to top where it comes up to the toilet seal and drained. Later on he had water coming out bottom of unit. Looks like his vent is not connected or loose and it is on another FBTS half bath black tank like yours. He never had an odor. Just another problem we might all have and would never know unless ur tank is totally full or trailering with a half full tank
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TB View Post
Picked up our trailer Thursday and went for a weekend outing. First flush in the half bath and the odor is back. The dealer said he replaced the gate valve seal. They "think" the AAV is in the wall and did not check it. I did consult another dealer and he suggested running the black tank flush with the dump valve closed. Go up on the roof and check for air coming out of the vent pipe. If no air comes out it means the vent pipe is clogged. I am not sure when I will be able to perform this test. I will try to keep you informed.
If the bowl was holding water, the gate valve seal was not the problem. I'm surprised they didn't change the flange/floor seal at the bottom of the toilet. Did they check the toilet for cracks? That sometimes happens.

Another way to check if the roof vent is plugged (better in my opinion), is to run water down it from a garden hose. If the vent pipe doesn't fill up, it's clear. Also, running water down it will wash away any possible obstructions, like mud dauber nests.

Good luck with your problem.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:23 AM   #19

SmokerBill
U r right that is even better. AZ would find his problem doing that if that is where his black water came from. Only two things could be cracker tank or loose vent
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:41 AM   #20

Any resolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TB View Post
We have a 2015 FBTS and have a problem with sewer odor in the half bath. I can not find on the forum if someone else is having the same problem, so here goes. We have Maxx Air covers over the bathroom vent. We rinse the tank a bunch. We put water and chemicals in the tank after it is dumped. We only use the exhaust fan after our business is done. The bathroom vent stays closed until the fan is turned on. Our dealer says they have checked everything and it is ok. The solution they have come up with is the tank vent is too close to the vent and is pulling odor back in. Does anybody else have this problem and what did you find? Thanks for the help.

We just purchased a used 2015 36fbts and have the exact same issue in the half bath.

Have you found a solution yet??
Ksilvi is offline   Reply With Quote