Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-28-2015, 08:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
Not sure where you got your info, but I have the RAM Puck system on my 2014 RAM Laramie, and I have a 18K Superglide mounted on the PullRite Rail system that goes on and off of the pucks with ease. The hitch is heavy, but the rails come off with 8 pins, and in four rail pieces, so easily managed.

I'm rigging a hoist under my carport roof, so that I can raise the hitch, back the truck under it, and then lower and install it. Just the opposite to take it out.

I got my info from my research. Pull rite does not make a drop in auto slider for the ram pucks and had no plans on doing so when I spoke to them in March. As such, I would have had to have the picture frame adapter which raises the hitch height of the superglide since there is no height adjustment on the superglide aside from using different feet.

Numerous people on the cummins forum and Rv.net that have this hitch, with a 3500 ram, all reported nose high towing since the combo of picture frame adaptor and the fact that the 3500 ram bed rails are about 60 inches high from factory results in a nose high towing situation. One way around this was to custom weld a new picture frame adaptor where the superglide sat down inside it, thereby lowering it about 2 inches, but I didn't want to try all that.

I like the superglide, and if thy made a true drop in auto slider for ram (like they do ford) I likely would have got that vs the sidewinder/b&w combo I have now...but they didn't and don't to my knowledge.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #22

Now I understand! Mine is a 2500, and doesn't sit quite as high. So the picture frame wasn't a deal killer for me. Thank you for clarifying!
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:09 AM   #23

No worries. I wish they had a drop in hitch for the ram, as I had to give up my mor ryde pinbox when I went with the sidewinder (sidewinder doesn't have a 19k fifth airborne hitch..only goes up to 16k). The superglide does work slick
Old 12-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #24

We have a basic 18k Pullrite. Sits slightly nose high but no issue. If I was doing it over again I would look seriously at the Anderson.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin O. View Post
Congrats on the new truck! What trailer do you have? I'm also very interested in the Andersen hitch. I have read many great things about it and nothing negative. Feedback after you trip will be very much appreciated. Enjoy!

Kevin
Had an interesting revelation while installing the Andersen ultimate in my Ford truck with the factory Reese gooseneck ball and pucks. When the Ultimate is mounted on the goose ball, all of the pucks are covered by the frame of the Fifth wheel hitch!! I contacted Andersen by email about how to deal with situation. The pucks are where the safety chains should go. There response was that there was two ways to deal with the safety chains. Go to a frame shop and get other chain lugs put in the bed of my brand new truck. Or wrap the safety chains around main pedestal which is the post that locks onto the goose ball. Not particularly impressed by this situation!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
Had an interesting revelation while installing the Andersen ultimate in my Ford truck with the factory Reese gooseneck ball and pucks. When the Ultimate is mounted on the goose ball, all of the pucks are covered by the frame of the Fifth wheel hitch!! I contacted Andersen by email about how to deal with situation. The pucks are where the safety chains should go. There response was that there was two ways to deal with the safety chains. Go to a frame shop and get other chain lugs put in the bed of my brand new truck. Or wrap the safety chains around main pedestal which is the post that locks onto the goose ball. Not particularly impressed by this situation!!
Well that stinks... If you have time take a pic of your setup in the truck. I found this pic online with the Aluminum Andersen.
Kevin O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:49 PM   #27

I didn't realize how close the pucks are to the gooseneck on the new fords! The last Pic I posted I'm thinking is in a Dodge.

I'm assuming this is what yours looks like? Nice job FORD!!

Here is the Andersen mounted in a Dodge with factory pucks.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Well that stinks... If you have time take a pic of your setup in the truck. I found this pic online with the Aluminum Andersen.
What U are looking at are the pucks from a Dodge. For what ever reason, they use a different system. Dodge pucks are just wide enough for clearance. Not so with the Reese system used by Ford. I'll take a pic or two in the next day or two.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:06 PM   #29

Quote:
It too contacted Andersen about the same situation and the owners son in law said to drill holes into the side of the frame (of the hitch)and mount two eye nuts with a 3/4"x2" bolt there then to hook my chains to them well I did exactly what he said and it works! He also said that it would not void my warranty nor weaken the frame,pretty easy fix.good luck!
Old 01-03-2016, 03:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutshot View Post
It too contacted Andersen about the same situation and the owners son in law said to drill holes into the side of the frame (of the hitch)and mount two eye nuts with a 3/4"x2" bolt there then to hook my chains to them well I did exactly what he said and it works! He also said that it would not void my warranty nor weaken the frame,pretty easy fix.good luck!
The problem with that that is everything is still tied to the Goose neck ball. I understand that the gooseneck is a very stable and theoretically is extremely strong. But I wanted some kind of back up in the event Murphy's law kicks in!! I didn't want to drill more holes in the bed!! Defeats the whole purpose of getting a truck with the hitch built in!! What I did was put some short extensions on the safety chains and ran them back to the tie down hooks in the lower back corners of the truck bed. Granted, it is NOT attached at the frame of the truck which is preferred but it is independent of the gooseneck and fifth wheel frame. If there was sort of catastrophic failure in the gooseneck it would lock the trailer brakes and at least slow any violent action if the hitch disconnected. It's virtually impossible for the connection between the trailer and the hitch to fail unless the aluminum block connector split or you were involved in a major accident. My big concern was the gooseneck ball could have some sort of failure.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:12 AM   #31

Quote:
The problem with that that is everything is still tied to the Goose neck ball. I understand that the gooseneck is a very stable and theoretically is extremely strong. But I wanted some kind of back up in the event Murphy's law kicks in!! I didn't want to drill more holes in the bed!! Defeats the whole purpose of getting a truck with the hitch built in!! What I did was put some short extensions on the safety chains and ran them back to the tie down hooks in the lower back corners of the truck bed. Granted, it is NOT attached at the frame of the truck which is preferred but it is independent of the gooseneck and fifth wheel frame. If there was sort of catastrophic failure in the gooseneck it would lock the trailer brakes and at least slow any violent action if the hitch disconnected. It's virtually impossible for the connection between the trailer and the hitch to fail unless the aluminum block connector split or you were involved in a major accident. My big concern was the gooseneck ball could have some sort of failure.
Have you towed with the new setup yet?? Any clearance issues? Would love to see some pics of your setup. I want to see how much clearance you have between the cab and the trailer since we both have the same size truck bed and the same trailer?

Kevin
Old 01-03-2016, 08:14 AM   #32

I can tell you that without a slider hitch pulling a pinnacle (cap is larger on pinnical than eagle) it will hit at small angles and any dips in the road exasperate the issue. My advise is get slider or 8' bed.... This coming from someone that pulled with short bed and traded for 8'
Old 01-03-2016, 08:54 AM   #33
Site Team

One thing I don't understand is why you have safety chains on the Anderson hitch and no other fifth wheel hitch has them.
Is this considered a Goose neck hitch?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine660 View Post
I can tell you that without a slider hitch pulling a pinnacle (cap is larger on pinnical than eagle) it will hit at small angles and any dips in the road exasperate the issue. My advise is get slider or 8' bed.... This coming from someone that pulled with short bed and traded for 8'
From what I have read on the Andersen hitch it can be setup for a shortbed with an extra 8" of clearance. With my Ford having a 6' 9" bed plus the extra 8" I'm thinking I should be fine. Trading for an 8' bed is out of the question. I'll be driving this truck until the wheels fall off! I like not having payments and low property taxes. Besides she still looks and drives like new! She shines better than most of the new trucks I see on the road.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:59 AM   #35

Quote:
Have you towed with the new setup yet?? Any clearance issues? Would love to see some pics of your setup. I want to see how much clearance you have between the cab and the trailer since we both have the same size truck bed and the same trailer?

Kevin
I'm on the road now. Left yesterday morning. I have created an issue by going to a 350 over the 250. I will take a couple pics today. I want a couple more days before I give any opinions on the setup. Need to make a change on the height of the ball in the truck. It's riding low enough that sooner or later I'll damage the truck bed sides if I don't. A 350 sets 3 inches higher then a 250. Makes a BIG difference with trying to keep the trailer level.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #36

Quote:
I'm on the road now. Left yesterday morning. I have created an issue by going to a 350 over the 250. I will take a couple pics today. I want a couple more days before I give any opinions on the setup. Need to make a change on the height of the ball in the truck. It's riding low enough that sooner or later I'll damage the truck bed sides if I don't. A 350 sets 3 inches higher then a 250. Makes a BIG difference with trying to keep the trailer level.
Thanks, enjoy your trip!
Old 01-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #37

you should be good with a 6'9" bed plus the extra 8", my ram had a 6'6" bed and I was using a fixed position hitch with the stock pin box on the camper. I will be the first one to tell you that even my combination was doable, it just required care and being very observant. Now I have an 8' bed and can go way past 90 degrees without concern at any angle.

Quote:
From what I have read on the Andersen hitch it can be setup for a shortbed with an extra 8" of clearance. With my Ford having a 6' 9" bed plus the extra 8" I'm thinking I should be fine. Trading for an 8' bed is out of the question. I'll be driving this truck until the wheels fall off! I like not having payments and low property taxes. Besides she still looks and drives like new! She shines better than most of the new trucks I see on the road.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:58 PM   #38

Quote:

Rookie question:

It is standard for a gooseneck trailer and bumper pull trailers to use safety chains. Why are safety chains not needed for a standard 5th wheel hitch? Is it impossible for a 5th wheel hitch to fail? Why?

For some reason I thought with the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel connection, they did not think safety chains are warranted. I've read where folks using this hitch have been stopped on the highway and penalized because of no safety chains. For those using the Andersen, are you also using safety chains?

Thank you
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:13 PM   #39

Gooseneck trailers are required to have chains I believe as they don't have a wrap around jaw (whereas the fifth wheel hitch does). I believe Anderson takes the stance that they r not a goodeball hitch, but to confirm with your licensing state if u need chains or not? I am going off memory here from rvnet thread on the Anderson.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:10 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hboy View Post
Rookie question:

It is standard for a gooseneck trailer and bumper pull trailers to use safety chains. Why are safety chains not needed for a standard 5th wheel hitch? Is it impossible for a 5th wheel hitch to fail? Why?

For some reason I thought with the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel connection, they did not think safety chains are warranted. I've read where folks using this hitch have been stopped on the highway and penalized because of no safety chains. For those using the Andersen, are you also using safety chains?

Thank you
It doesn't matter what Anderson thinks, it matters what the state's law says. If I recall correctly, Michigan's law requires safety chains except with a fifth wheel hitch. If the officer that stops you doesn't think it's a fifth wheel hitch, you'll get a ticket and have to fight it.
Cdash is offline   Reply With Quote