Name:	IMG_0476.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	21385
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:21 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
I assume you realize that those brackets are good for a few hundred pounds at most?
Cdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #45

Because the frame covered up the pucks on my 350 Ford, the above was what I did to get an attachment to something other then the Ultimates frame. Andersen was suggesting to wrap the safety chains around the pedestal of the hitch or take it to a frame shop to have other tie down lugs placed in the floor. My main concern was having an independent lug for the trailer brake cable. Although the lugs are not thru the frame, they are more then capable of slowing down a trailer in the event of a gooseneck ball failure.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
I assume you realize that those brackets are good for a few hundred pounds at most?
The trailer brake cable was my main concern. The brake cable is set to pull before any other weight hits the chains
Old 01-04-2016, 05:34 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
Because the frame covered up the pucks on my 350 Ford, the above was what I did to get an attachment to something other then the Ultimates frame. Andersen was suggesting to wrap the safety chains around the pedestal of the hitch or take it to a frame shop to have other tie down lugs placed in the floor. My main concern was having an independent lug for the trailer brake cable. Although the lugs are not thru the frame, they are more then capable of slowing down a trailer in the event of a gooseneck ball failure.
I would think if anything was gonna fail with the Andersen it would be either the ball or the king pin block. I don't think the hitch itself would go anywhere. I wouldn't hesitate chaining around the pedestal. Thanks for the pics! Can't wait to hear how it towed.
Kevin O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:15 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin O. View Post
I would think if anything was gonna fail with the Andersen it would be either the ball or the king pin block. I don't think the hitch itself would go anywhere. I wouldn't hesitate chaining around the pedestal. Thanks for the pics! Can't wait to hear how it towed.

The pin holding the ball failed first when they did the crush test. The crust test begins at 5:10 in this video.

etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:48 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
The pin holding the ball failed first when they did the crush test. The crust test begins at 5:10 in this video.

I understand the hitch better watching this. I wonder though, what keeps the coupler block from spinning around? If the king pin is behind the ball while towing and you jam on the brakes, what keeps the coupler block from spinning so that the kingpin would go to the front of the ball? That would be a scary thump!

I don't like their test - marketing hype. The tested hitch didn't look like it had the same offset as the one being used in all the previous shots. That offset would affect the results significantly. The test wasn't done on a flat surface, and the most severe loads will be perpendicular to the direction they loaded. Not saying it will fail, but that the test isn't too representative of the in use strength. Also concerning that the ball failed first. It should be extremely strong in that axis, and it was, but the failure was very abrupt, which is undesirable. It would break a lot lower with a lateral load on it. I would question if it would provide an adequate factor of safety at their listed capacities. The failure of the frame was better as is bent and distorted without breaking. You'd see an issue before it broke (hopefully).

I would also expect that it would cause higher loads on the rear axle of the tow vehicle and unloading of the front axle since it is pushing the center of the hitch back from the ball. Again, not bad, but something that could bite someone close on weights.

I see the draw, it's pretty slick, but I'm not sure I'd invest in it.
Cdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:02 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdash View Post
I understand the hitch better watching this. I wonder though, what keeps the coupler block from spinning around? If the king pin is behind the ball while towing and you jam on the brakes, what keeps the coupler block from spinning so that the kingpin would go to the front of the ball? That would be a scary thump!

I don't like their test - marketing hype. The tested hitch didn't look like it had the same offset as the one being used in all the previous shots. That offset would affect the results significantly. The test wasn't done on a flat surface, and the most severe loads will be perpendicular to the direction they loaded. Not saying it will fail, but that the test isn't too representative of the in use strength. Also concerning that the ball failed first. It should be extremely strong in that axis, and it was, but the failure was very abrupt, which is undesirable. It would break a lot lower with a lateral load on it. I would question if it would provide an adequate factor of safety at their listed capacities. The failure of the frame was better as is bent and distorted without breaking. You'd see an issue before it broke (hopefully).

I would also expect that it would cause higher loads on the rear axle of the tow vehicle and unloading of the front axle since it is pushing the center of the hitch back from the ball. Again, not bad, but something that could bite someone close on weights.

I see the draw, it's pretty slick, but I'm not sure I'd invest in it.
The coupler has 4 set screws on it that keep it from spinning. I have talked to a couple guys on rv.net that are using it with there 20,000lbs+ trailers and love it. I have not found one negative review on the hitch. And there is over 10,000 units on the road!

Kevin

Kevin O. is offline   Reply With Quote