Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2016, 01:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovepipe View Post
I have the exact truck you have and am considering a purchase of the exact 5th wheel you have. It sounds like your hitch setup is what I'm looking for. Up til now I thought the Pullrite SuperGlide would be my only foolproof option. I wasn't happy with the idea of the extra weight, cost, and lack of angle freedom while hitching. Would you mind clarifying a few things for me?

- Can you do a full lock u-turn with zero risk of hitting the cab with the trailer?

- Can you hookup at an angle or are you limited to +/- 10 degrees like with the Pullrite?

- Do you recall roughly the cost of this hitching setup?

- Does the trailer sit nose high with your RAM? Did you do any modifications to the trailer to account for a nose high situation?

- Do you know if regular maintenance is required for your hitch?

- Finally, just so I'm clear, your setup isn't a "sliding hitch" it's just that the pinbox keeps the cap of the trailer farther back?

I'm new to this and trying to educate myself before even talking with a dealer. Any additional information you can give me on your rig would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Thought of one more question; is there any risk of damaging the tailgate with this setup? Any need for a cut-out tailgate?
I'm going to reply to myself as I found out some answers after watching several YouTube videos.

- Full lock u-turn no problem (even greater than 90 degrees)
- No limit on hookup angle, can do it at 90 degrees
- The pin box is only available from the trailer manufacturer, can't be added later. Jayco website shows it as an option for $1,024.
- No sliding mechanism in the truck. There is a wedge plate that is adjusted to fit the standard fifth wheel hitch in the truck.
- No apparent issues with tailgate.

I'd still like to know if it results in a nose high rig with that particular Ram and also what the maintenance is like on the hitch/pin setup.
Stovepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:52 PM   #22
tld

Stovepipe, I'm not who your post is for but wanted to jump in since I was also looking at the Pullrite SuperGlide, but then ended up going with Reese Elite 18k hitch (it is not a slider) and the Reese Sidewinder pin box (same as Reese Revolution). Could not be happier with this combo. The Elite 18k is super easy for one person to take in and out of the truck bed. The hitch head and base quickly separate and can then be easily picked up by one person. Because of the Sidewinder, I can do a full 90 degree turn. But to hook up you do need to be within approximately +/- 10 degrees. But just to be clear, if you unhooked with the Sidewinder pin box at an 80 degree angle, then as long as you back up into it at the same angle to hook back up you have no problems (the +/- 10 degrees would still apply). Both the pin box and hitch are very low maintenance - just a little white grease now and then. My cost for the two together was $2000 - more than I had intended to spend but has turned out to be well worth it: easy to put in and take out by my self and don't have to worry about hitting my cab in a tight situation. My truck is a 2015 F250 diesel with a six foot seven inch bed with the Ford build in Puck system.
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld View Post
Stovepipe, I'm not who your post is for but wanted to jump in since I was also looking at the Pullrite SuperGlide, but then ended up going with Reese Elite 18k hitch (it is not a slider) and the Reese Sidewinder pin box (same as Reese Revolution). Could not be happier with this combo. The Elite 18k is super easy for one person to take in and out of the truck bed. The hitch head and base quickly separate and can then be easily picked up by one person. Because of the Sidewinder, I can do a full 90 degree turn. But to hook up you do need to be within approximately +/- 10 degrees. But just to be clear, if you unhooked with the Sidewinder pin box at an 80 degree angle, then as long as you back up into it at the same angle to hook back up you have no problems (the +/- 10 degrees would still apply). Both the pin box and hitch are very low maintenance - just a little white grease now and then. My cost for the two together was $2000 - more than I had intended to spend but has turned out to be well worth it: easy to put in and take out by my self and don't have to worry about hitting my cab in a tight situation. My truck is a 2015 F250 diesel with a six foot seven inch bed with the Ford build in Puck system.
I appreciate your response tld, that is all good to know. So the original pin box can be swapped out for a Sidewinder? I assume it would have to be welded on. I checked with Jayco dealers in my area and they don't seem to have any in stock that have the Revolution, I'd have to custom order. Regardless, I'm happy to know that this is an viable option. I certainly wasn't looking forward to having to rig up a winch in my garage or get a bunch of neighbors together every time I wanted to remove the hitch from the truck.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:53 PM   #24
tld

No welding necessary. The old pin box just unbolts and the Sidewinder bolts on in its place.
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #25

I also considered the Revolution but I chose to order our Eagle 323LKTS with the Morryde pin box because of the bucking and chucking you can get. Interstates and state highways in this part of the country are notorious for causing bucking and chucking. So my plan is the heavy Superglide #4100. IMO, Comfort driving out-ways the cost and weight of the Pull-Rite Superglide hitch.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovepipe View Post
I have the exact truck you have and am considering a purchase of the exact 5th wheel you have. It sounds like your hitch setup is what I'm looking for. Up til now I thought the Pullrite SuperGlide would be my only foolproof option. I wasn't happy with the idea of the extra weight, cost, and lack of angle freedom while hitching. Would you mind clarifying a few things for me?

- Can you do a full lock u-turn with zero risk of hitting the cab with the trailer?

- Can you hookup at an angle or are you limited to +/- 10 degrees like with the Pullrite?

- Do you recall roughly the cost of this hitching setup?

- Does the trailer sit nose high with your RAM? Did you do any modifications to the trailer to account for a nose high situation?

- Do you know if regular maintenance is required for your hitch?

- Finally, just so I'm clear, your setup isn't a "sliding hitch" it's just that the pinbox keeps the cap of the trailer farther back?

I'm new to this and trying to educate myself before even talking with a dealer. Any additional information you can give me on your rig would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Thought of one more question; is there any risk of damaging the tailgate with this setup? Any need for a cut-out tailgate?
So it looks like you have found the answers to the majority of your questions. To start out no my hitch is not a slider.

I will tell you as of now my 5er does ride nose high. I am gong to have the Sprite gas lowered which will add about 2-21/2" of height. Also I plan on upgrading to 16" wheels and taller tires this spring. If I need more after that I will have to do some research and figure out what else I need to do.

As far as full lock turns, this last November I was out boondocking and was facing west, when I left I hooked up did a full wheel lock up on my TV and did a full u turn from a stopped position back around to face east with no risk to the truck. My only concern as the 15 gal water barrels with spouts attached, they came the closest to contacting the trailer. But to truck no issues.

Cost, I ordered my trailer so what ever the going cost is from jay of for the Reese pin box. As far as the hitch I ordered mine through e-trailer.com. Was about 750 free shipping and that as for a 16K Reese Titan.

Maintenance, as already mentioned is no big deal. Hit it with lithium great on a regular basis and you should be good.

My favorite part of the 16kTitan is it is easy to get in and out by my self. I sent a friend of mine a picture of me holding the head head in one hand the body in the other, with a message of bet you wish your hitch was this easy to move. My friend has a big slider that weighs a ton and it take the both of us and a couple beers to get the darn thing in and out of his truck.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:23 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpi7800 View Post
So it looks like you have found the answers to the majority of your questions. To start out no my hitch is not a slider.

I will tell you as of now my 5er does ride nose high. I am gong to have the Sprite gas lowered which will add about 2-21/2" of height. Also I plan on upgrading to 16" wheels and taller tires this spring. If I need more after that I will have to do some research and figure out what else I need to do.

As far as full lock turns, this last November I was out boondocking and was facing west, when I left I hooked up did a full wheel lock up on my TV and did a full u turn from a stopped position back around to face east with no risk to the truck. My only concern as the 15 gal water barrels with spouts attached, they came the closest to contacting the trailer. But to truck no issues.

Cost, I ordered my trailer so what ever the going cost is from jay of for the Reese pin box. As far as the hitch I ordered mine through e-trailer.com. Was about 750 free shipping and that as for a 16K Reese Titan.

Maintenance, as already mentioned is no big deal. Hit it with lithium great on a regular basis and you should be good.

My favorite part of the 16kTitan is it is easy to get in and out by my self. I sent a friend of mine a picture of me holding the head head in one hand the body in the other, with a message of bet you wish your hitch was this easy to move. My friend has a big slider that weighs a ton and it take the both of us and a couple beers to get the darn thing in and out of his truck.
This all sounds good, thanks for the reply. I'm curious what you mean by "I am gong to have the Sprite gas lowered which will add about 2-21/2" of height." Google doesn't seem to help me understand that, if you can elaborate I'd appreciate it. Have you noticed any problems towing or wear and tear on the tires from being nose high? I do plan on getting the 16 inch wheels. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:59 AM   #28

Sorry should have done a re-read prior to hitting the post button. There is no Sprite gas. It was suppose to read have the "leaf springs" lowered / moved to the lowest position.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:04 AM   #29

As far as tire wear. I have not noticed anything yet. But I've probably only pulled the trailer 6k miles so far, and the majority of that was pulling it from the dealer in Indiana to Arizona.