Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2022, 04:24 AM   #1

Fifth wheel sags to curbside

I have a 2015 Eagle 323LKTS. The curbside has the refrigerator, range and couch. The door side only has the dining table and 2 light weight recliners. When hitched up to the truck, that heavy side is 3/4 of an inch closer to the bed rails than the other side. As I've looked into the rear-view mirror, I've noticed that sides sag becoming more and more noticeable. I have an appointment next week to have my springs re-arched in hopes that would help. If I put bigger springs on it, the shop tells me I would have to cut off the current mounts and cross stabilizers we put on years ago and reset everything, including spacing the tries further apart. My concern is if i just re-arch the springs they will eventually simply go back to where they are now. And the way the fifth wheel is designed, the curbside will always be much heavier than the other and it will list again to that side. Has anyone else had this issue and found a better solution? Can you add a leaf to the existing springs on that heavy side?
Old 07-12-2022, 05:30 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post
I have a 2015 Eagle 323LKTS. The curbside has the refrigerator, range and couch. The door side only has the dining table and 2 light weight recliners. When hitched up to the truck, that heavy side is 3/4 of an inch closer to the bed rails than the other side. As I've looked into the rear-view mirror, I've noticed that sides sag becoming more and more noticeable. I have an appointment next week to have my springs re-arched in hopes that would help. If I put bigger springs on it, the shop tells me I would have to cut off the current mounts and cross stabilizers we put on years ago and reset everything, including spacing the tries further apart. My concern is if i just re-arch the springs they will eventually simply go back to where they are now. And the way the fifth wheel is designed, the curbside will always be much heavier than the other and it will list again to that side. Has anyone else had this issue and found a better solution? Can you add a leaf to the existing springs on that heavy side?
Back a hundred years ago we'd burn additional camber into trailer frames to handle greater loads. Not sure how they go about that on leaf springs but the principle would be the same. Maybe they could hoss up that side a bit.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 05:44 AM   #3

I wouldn't add a leaf, it's too dramatic for one side. You could add a leaf to BOTH sides and that may add the support you're looking for. But honestly, I bet it wouldn't tow very good and be too bouncy. My diesel truck has a natural (normal) lean to the DS due to the heft of the DEF equipment. The shop is right, everything changes when you add suspension components not otherwise done by the manufacturer.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 06:09 PM   #4

Why not have new replacement leaf springs put on with the same weight rating. It was apparently okay to start with but over the years the springs have began to flatten. Not sure what they do to re-arch them but in my view the metal is beginning to yield due to the flexing of road miles.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 07:23 PM   #5

Probably a useless question, but just to be sure; did you make measurements in various locations, are you measuring on "true level" for this L/R lean difference?

Wonder what the lean result would be if the trailer is dropped on a level surface ensuring the landing gear set to the same L/R height.

I guess Im getting at is it a true spring sag on 1 side, just making sure.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 04:25 AM   #6

Yes, it's a spring issue. I've owned it since it was new and took complete measurements of the bed rail clearance over the years. In the past 12 months, the curb side has gotten 3/4 of an inch closer to the bed rails on the same truck. I'm going to spend the $$ to re-arch the springs and see if that makes a difference. Still much cheaper than getting new springs.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:42 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Yes, it's a spring issue. I've owned it since it was new and took complete measurements of the bed rail clearance over the years. In the past 12 months, the curb side has gotten 3/4 of an inch closer to the bed rails on the same truck. I'm going to spend the $$ to re-arch the springs and see if that makes a difference. Still much cheaper than getting new springs.
Just make sure it's heated re-arching. The cold process won't last and you'll be back at square one sooner rather than later. The metal has to be heated to a quite high temp in two stages, the first is to erase memory then it's cooled, reheated and rearched back to it's original camber.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 01:34 PM   #8

Update

The repair facility I went to specializes in trailer springs. They pulled the old springs off and took a look. The cost of re-arching them was around $300. Since new springs were only $350 installed, I had them put on new springs instead. Pulled it home and the fifth wheel was much closer to level. At least for now, I'm good to go.
Old 07-22-2022, 02:45 PM   #9

That's great news.

I remember the days before replacing was as cheap as repairing.
Old 07-23-2022, 02:13 PM   #10

Quote:
The repair facility I went to specializes in trailer springs. They pulled the old springs off and took a look. The cost of re-arching them was around $300. Since new springs were only $350 installed, I had them put on new springs instead. Pulled it home and the fifth wheel was much closer to level. At least for now, I'm good to go.
Sounds like a no brainer to go for the new in lieu of the repaired at that price difference.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote