Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2022, 03:28 PM   #1

Fifth wheel tire alignment

Has anyone had a tire alignment on their fifth wheel or travel trailer? One of my tires was very worn on one side on my front axle. I got to looking at my tires and on one side my tires are a bit closer together than the other side. How much did it cost for a wheel alignment? And who does it?
Bodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 04:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodaddy View Post
Has anyone had a tire alignment on their fifth wheel or travel trailer? One of my tires was very worn on one side on my front axle. I got to looking at my tires and on one side my tires are a bit closer together than the other side. How much did it cost for a wheel alignment? And who does it?
The only experience I've had with ONE tire wearing on one axle was from a bent axle which I replaced. There is no "wheel alignment" if one tire is wearing faster than the opposite tire on the axle. If both tires on the SAME axle are wearing crooked, that's a different story.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 04:23 PM   #3
CAG

I would say axle issue. I am not aware of any alignment for trailer wheels. You might check the shackles, bolts etc to see if something has come undone or been damaged.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 04:32 PM   #4

Yes, trailer axles can be aligned, but finding someone to do it may take some searching.
X2, as CAG mentioned, check all of your suspension components first.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 04:36 PM   #5

One thing also to review. How do you back into your driveway. We moved into our new place and the street had been sealed with pea gravel about a year earlier. Backing in the same way. Wipped out one tire quickly. New tires,and now I approach from both directions, and have had no tire issues.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 05:03 PM   #6
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
One thing also to review. How do you back into your driveway. We moved into our new place and the street had been sealed with pea gravel about a year earlier. Backing in the same way. Wipped out one tire quickly. New tires,and now I approach from both directions, and have had no tire issues.

I have said it before on some of the "how long do tires last" threads. Watch your tires when you back into a space or drive. The flexing to the sidewalls and tread can be pretty severe. Even every day turns at intersections. They take a beating.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 05:11 PM   #7

Where to get an alignment, most any large truck repair shop.
Think semi truck repair shop. I had to drive about 20 miles from home to get mine done.
About $700.00 for both axels. All is good now and over 5k miles new tires are looking good.
I lucked out and dealer I bought from covered the cost.
PaulB12

TT is a small 23mrb 2016 Jayco White Hawk, shop did not bike an eye.
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:42 PM   #8

You can add Lippert Correct Track. I had it added to a previous trailer.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 04:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I have said it before on some of the "how long do tires last" threads. Watch your tires when you back into a space or drive. The flexing to the sidewalls and tread can be pretty severe. Even every day turns at intersections. They take a beating.

X2. Also sharp turns stress a tandem axle trailer's suspension components and frame. I try to turn at the shallowest angle needed especially on hard surfaces, and would rather forward and reverse again than put my 5er at a 90 degree angle.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Yes, trailer axles can be aligned, but finding someone to do it may take some searching.
X2, as CAG mentioned, check all of your suspension components first.
Just find a Commercial Truck alignment shop... They did ours for under $300, and that included bending the axles as needed to align the wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
20170408_165623.jpg   20170412_154137.jpg   20170412_154146.jpg   20170412_174049.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 04:20 PM   #11

I can't prove this on a large trailer, but tire quality plays a big part as well.

I homebuilt my motorcycle trailer, and it's only a single axle. I measured, remeasured, and then measured some more, and I'm pretty confident that it within probably a 1/16" of being perpendicular to the frame.

Long story short, the first set of tires that I had, which were the tires that came with the Chinese rims, lasted less than 3000 miles, and they were showing cords!!

I replaced them with high(er) quality tires, that cost me as much as the tire/rim did, and I have somewhere around 5000 miles on the tires now, and they look as good as the day I put them on there. No wear. I have not changed any settings or alignments on the trailer, or load it any differently now than before...
Old 09-19-2022, 12:54 PM   #12

2022 377RLBH - mis aligned hangers caused bent axle

Currently dealing with a bad situation on a 7k US trip. One tire completely wiped out and bent axle after last 1000mi. Fortunately discovered after a drive day and not on the road. We worked with a local trailer repair company to document the bent axle and also discovered mis-aligned hangers (about 1/2" on the diagonal). Even with the poor frame / hanger, Dexter offered a warranty replacement on 2 axles in 5-10 business days. The local trailer repair shop will ensure they are mounted properly before we continue our trip. (BTW we're not overloaded)

Lesson learned and recommend measuring your hangers. This misalignment caused failure of the axle after only 5,000 mi.

We'll continue to push on Jayco to cover cost of tire and repairs. So far their only response is to tell us to take to a local dealer to be evaluated. No local dealers will even talk to us since we didn't buy it from them. Very frustrating.
mcdona.98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:09 PM   #13

I just had this issue with the driver side rear wheel. Turned out the suspension hanger welds had broken on both sides. Another indicator was only 1.5” between the tires. Two hours at an Amish welding shop and we were back on the road after replacing the worn tire with the spare.
Prybar-in is offline   Reply With Quote