Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2022, 07:26 AM   #1

Filling Fresh Water Tank.

We have a Eagle 319 MLOK. We are on a 3 month trip for the winter. I de-winterized once we arrived in Savannah before moving on. Hooked up to city water and all is working fine. I decided the i was going to sanitize my fresh water tank. I always leave the drain valve open at first so i know water is going in. I notice water is coming out the over flow as well as the drain immediately at the start of filling. Never had this issue with any of our previous RV’s. I used the fresh water tank several times last year so I am puzzled as what the problem is.

Does any know what the issue is? Has any one experienced this issue? What is the fix?

Thanks Dan.
Toolguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:48 AM   #2

Not familiar with your RV's fresh water system, but I'd guess your fresh tank is full from a leaking valve in your control center.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:58 AM   #3

If you are getting discharge out of the overflow, that should only happen when the tank is full. Did you happen to open the drain valve before turning on the "tank fill" and if so, did it drain water?
It may be that your tank was already full when you turned on the the "tank fill."
I would leave the drain valve open to be sure the tank is empty, and confirm by checking the tank level indicator. If that confirms the tank is empty and you still get flow out of the overflow while filling, that would indicate something is wrong with the installation of the tank plumbing.
One thing to consider is the possibility that your tank is filling slowly when hooked up to city water because the check valve at your pump is not sealing completely. If your tank was full when you opened the "tank fill" that would explain flow out of the overflow. This is a common issue that you will not notice until the tank is full and the overflow is weeping. You could drain the tank, leave the drain open while connected to city water, and watch or put a bucket under the drain for at least a few hours to see if you are getting a slow drip out of the drain long after the tank should have drained completely.
Either way, it doesn't appear that you have a "critical" issue. If it is your pump check valve, that is not a major repair.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:14 AM   #4

The tank is empty the drawing valve has been open for a few days top make sure i was not getting a leak through the system.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolguy5 View Post
The tank is empty the drawing valve has been open for a few days top make sure i was not getting a leak through the system.
It seems you have narrowed it down enough to eliminate the common issues of weeping fill valves or check valves. At this point, you would need to have access to the tank to view the plumbing. In most cases, the fill is actually the same line that the pump draws from, and the tank drain valve is part of that line, it connects to the tank at the bottom of the tank; the overflow is a separate line that exits from the top of the tank. There must be something different about the plumbing on your unit that explains your experience.
If everything works fine, and you can use the city water supply or pump from the tank when not on city water, there may not be any need to worry about what you are experiencing.
It would be interesting to know what is causing this, so let us know if you ever find out!
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:49 AM   #6

I probably will not be able to investigate thoroughly until i return home near the end of April.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:06 AM   #7

Same exact thing happened to me first week i had my 321 RSTS. Turned out i didn't
have city water valve fully engaged and tanks ended filling while i thought i was on city water hook up, which i was. Neighbor came over and said i had water leading out of my overflow. He actually figured out what the problem was. Make sure your valves are in full position.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 12:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolguy5 View Post
We have a Eagle 319 MLOK. We are on a 3 month trip for the winter. I de-winterized once we arrived in Savannah before moving on. Hooked up to city water and all is working fine. I decided the i was going to sanitize my fresh water tank. I always leave the drain valve open at first so i know water is going in. I notice water is coming out the over flow as well as the drain immediately at the start of filling. Never had this issue with any of our previous RV’s. I used the fresh water tank several times last year so I am puzzled as what the problem is.

Does any know what the issue is? Has any one experienced this issue? What is the fix?

Thanks Dan.
Well i finally got a chance to take a look at my problem. Still have no idea what was wrong but i was able ti fill my tank. A little water cam out overflow then it stop and i was able to fill it part way to sanitize. The only thing i can think of is the ven tube had to be blocked.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:21 AM   #9

I just went through this same issue on our 319 last week when getting ready for our first trip. I couldn't make any sense of it.... like you mentioned, I made sure I had no water in the tank. Checked tank level on monitor screen and opened drain valve to be sure it wasn't filling while in "city" mode. I even removed part of the underbelly cover and I was ready to drop the tank, BUT just before I did that I decided to run the water SLOWLY into the tank instead of full blast and once I got approx. 2-3" in the tank I was able to let the water flow fully again with no overflow.... And then the tank filled completely with no problems.

The only thing I can figure is that the fill line coming in on the bottom is directly below the overflow on the top on the tank and when its empty the water is shooting up enough to "overflow".... this is not confirmed, just a theory.
iFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:23 AM   #10

It has to be pressure related. I did the same thing tried filling in with lower volume and pressure.

If that did not work i was going to try and fill with the sanitation, winterizing port. If that didn’t work then i was going to start removing underbelly.

Just glad it did not come to that.