Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2018, 12:22 PM   #1

Finally Florida Here we come. . .in 2019!

It's been a very interesting experience snagging a campground in a state park in Florida. I called one park earlier this week and when I told the nice person on the phone that I was trying to make a reservation for next winter he laughed out loud. I politely told him that he was laughing; I was not! He explained how he would wait for cancellations; run three computers at a time, etc and now he volunteers (my dream job was always campground host - just ask my kids!) Well after several days of getting up and running on two computers and a cell phone app, we scored! Will try again in two weeks to extend our travels to another spot or wait a few months and try for a COE campground. Now to figure out the best route with a fifth wheel and avoid mountains and non friendly 5r roads! But I guess I have plenty of time to do that! We'll spend this year getting used to our new Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS and by then hopefully will have a comfort zone. Thank you for all the good advice I have picked up on here!
jonesykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:35 PM   #2
Site Team

I just love Florida and we get there as often as we can. I know you will love it.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #3

I’m in the Bradenton area now after 2 months in Key West. The thing about the state parks is Floridians get to reserve a month earlier (so I’m told) than the rest of us). Don’t worry about the comfort zone, we came from PA on Dec 27th. Expect issues it’s just part of the experience [emoji4]. We’ve had a blast even though believe me we’ve had our share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #4

We bought a place at the great outdoors. Stay there in the winter. We love it
Tim&paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #5

Don't know where in Fl you are going, but looks like you are in the StLouis Mo area. Just take Interstate 64 E to 57 south to 24 south. In Nashville Tn pick up 65 south and run. About 60 miles N of Mobile take the back roads to Pensacola. Interstate 10 E will take you to I75 or I 95 and run from there. A few hills on that route but nothing bad. Anyway, what COE campgrounds are you looking at in FL?
Old 03-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply. We are looking at W. P. Franklin but have never been there. Have spent alot of time in Fort Myers Beach, Naples and Marco Island - never camping though. Was trying to avoid Nashville. . .
Old 03-08-2018, 06:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleheader View Post
I’m in the Bradenton area now after 2 months in Key West. The thing about the state parks is Floridians get to reserve a month earlier (so I’m told) than the rest of us). Don’t worry about the comfort zone, we came from PA on Dec 27th. Expect issues it’s just part of the experience [emoji4]. We’ve had a blast even though believe me we’ve had our share.

We're near Bradenton too right now at Fort De Soto.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2018, 07:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesykay View Post
Thanks for the reply. We are looking at W. P. Franklin but have never been there. Have spent alot of time in Fort Myers Beach, Naples and Marco Island - never camping though. Was trying to avoid Nashville. . .
OK, come on down like your going to Nashville, however, leave I24 at Clarksville and head S to Dickson, about 30 miles. Pick up 840 just S of Dickson and head E to I 65. Two lane but we do it all the time on the way to Pensacola. We also take 65 miles of two lane to hit I40 east of Smashville when we head to Knoxville. I do not drive in Smashville if I can help it, and we've lived just outside of Clarksville for 35 years now.
AF Don
Old 03-08-2018, 08:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleheader View Post

Where did you stay for your two months in Key West? Any outstanding issues from the hurricane?

We had plans for an extended stay in Key West late last year. When the hurricane hit it derailed everything. Hoping to make it later this year.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:33 AM   #10

Finally Florida Here we come. . .in 2019!

We stayed at Boyd’s Campground. We enjoyed it very much however it’s a pricey experience @ $3k/ mo plus money for entertaining? Most of the visible damage starts about 10 miles above KW although KW did get some damage it did not affect our experience.
FYI it’s nearly impossible to get in there for 2019. But if interested I’d try Leo’s Campground. It’s smaller and basic, slightly less money, but they don’t take dogs over 30 lbs.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:12 AM   #11
Site Team

We just returned home from 3 weeks in Fl. We go every year but don't go down that far. We stay on the gulf side between Crystal River and Orlando. Not as crowded for our taste.

Any rv site is a premium in winter.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #12

Happy to report we are also going to Silver Springs State Park and will try to extend our trip in another week when the reservations open up for eleven months from now in 2019. Thanks for all the travel tips!
Old 03-12-2018, 03:20 PM   #13

Don’t fix on one campground.
We do reserve in Oct and get our sites
Now you are trying a very small park
It’s waterfront too
Collier Seminole is often not full everyday and the campgrounds in Big Cypress aren’t either
Ft Meyers is difficult to get any sort of accommodation in
The Pine Island KOA is nice and we stayed there two nights
Reserved the same day March 5

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote