Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2018, 02:25 PM   #21

Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS, can tow it with 3/4 ton truck and it doesn't need to be diesel.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:37 PM   #22

If you like the GD but also jayco I would look hard at the North Point line. We got a 2018 377rlbh. We love it. Its built like a rock. We also looked at the Montana, the solitude, and a few others. We went with the North point for many reasons but one big thing was it was the only one that the island in the kitchen didnt move when leaning against it. We walked the floors with no up and down movement. Way better tires and suspension components. Plus the massive frame. It was all about build quality. And the warranty to back it up. The few claims we have had have been no issue to get dealt with. We also got 35% off MSRP. So you can get a great deal on them. The North Point line has only been going since 2016, they have made so many upgrades since 2016. Jayco tends to listen to owners and do any updates based on owner feedback. Good luck
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:06 PM   #23
Jon

Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

I have a 2017 Eagle 321RSTS that I ordered from the factory in fall 2016. It is the same as the current model. I researched everything for a year before deciding on this unit and after 1.5 years full time, and now snowbirding, I'm very happy. I continue to look at new and higher level models to see if there is anything new that is worth upgrading to, and so far nothing has more of the right combination for a comfortable couple's rig than this. The closest are the Bighorn 3160 Elite, and the Jayco North Point 315RLTS but they cost more and don't have some features I like in the 321RSTS. Jayco did the under 37' rear living kitchen island design with this model better than anyone else in my opinion. I'd highly advise factory order to get exactly what you want, especially if you may be going full time. I got the insulated windows, bigger fridge, queen bed, tires upgrade. The only upgrade that was a big disappointment was the Girard "Thankless" on demand water heater; I replaced that with a Truma Aqua-Go in the first 6 months, which is fantastic.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:46 PM   #24

We have a Pinnacle 37 MDQS. It may be a little longer than you are looking for but we like the room and pull it no problem with a 2017 Ford F-350 with the 6.7 diesel
RickM1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:28 PM   #25

We really liked the Eagle line also but for us it kinda reminded us of nice camp trailer. Not really built for full time use. We had a hard time finding a good deal on a pinnacle our first choice as its built by far the best out of the jayco line. So we opted to go with the north point because of availability and the willingness of the dealer to negotiate on the price. Ours was MSRP at $103k it was a show model so it had every option checked. A bunch of stuff we didnt want and a bunch of stuff we didnt know we wanted. By the time we put 500 watts of solar, upgraded batteries, and a few other little things oh and our 7 year good sam bump to hitch warranty we walked out the do at little over $60k. The Eagle is a heck of a nice camp trailer but in my opinion it's not a full time travel trailer. The pinnacle was amazing and definitely full time worthy but jayco is really proud of them and they dont play as much on the price. The north point being a fairly newer line was the perfect middle ground. We have had few issues and jayco has taken care of them no questions asked. If money was not a factor it would have been pinnacle all the way. If money was a big issue I would have not blinked an eye on probably been fully happy with an Eagle.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:48 PM   #26
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I have a 2017 Eagle 321RSTS that I ordered from the factory in fall 2016. It is the same as the current model. I researched everything for a year before deciding on this unit and after 1.5 years full time, and now snowbirding, I'm very happy. I continue to look at new and higher level models to see if there is anything new that is worth upgrading to, and so far nothing has more of the right combination for a comfortable couple's rig than this. The closest are the Bighorn 3160 Elite, and the Jayco North Point 315RLTS but they cost more and don't have some features I like in the 321RSTS. Jayco did the under 37' rear living kitchen island design with this model better than anyone else in my opinion. I'd highly advise factory order to get exactly what you want, especially if you may be going full time. I got the insulated windows, bigger fridge, queen bed, tires upgrade. The only upgrade that was a big disappointment was the Girard "Thankless" on demand water heater; I replaced that with a Truma Aqua-Go in the first 6 months, which is fantastic.
Forgot to mention that the Grand Design Reflection quality is way less than Jayco Eagle. Look at them both and compare gel coat, bumper, lighting, furniture, cabinets. All better on Eagle. Agree with other post that North Point is a step up but not necessary IMO and adds cost and weight. Chassis, frame, walls, roof, windows, etc. construction is the same on Eagle, North Point, Pinnacle, except Pinnacle is wide body.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:01 PM   #27
PMC

Didn’t read all the replies but Jayco is making the Pinnacle 32RLTS now which is 36 feet long. Had that been an option when we bought our 36KPTS last year we’d probably have gone with it. We’ve pulled our Pinnacle 6k miles in the first year and our first trip in 19 is a 4K round trip to AZ for a month. I’d have no problem full timing in a pinnacle, they’re real nice and very comfortable.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:18 PM   #28

Jon,

No you better look closer the chassis, and the suspension are not the same on the Eagle as the north point, and it's not the same on the pinnacle as the north point. Completely different chassis and suspension across all 3 lines. That's why each comparable floorplan has significantly different dry weights and GVWR's. I believe I also saw that there are different R-valus is the walls and roof of each line. I do agree that the reflection by GD is not at the level of the Eagle. The Eagle is a great camp trailer. But anyone that has seen the Eagle and the north point side by side will tell you the north point is of better quality. Same with the north point vs the pinnacle. Now whether or not the differences are worth the additional price it all in the eye of the customer. For my personal experience I would say the difference between the Eagle to the north point is worth the extra cash. The differences from the north point to the pinnacle I'm not so sure but that's again up to you. But I can say there is most definitely the biggest difference from the Eagle to the north point. The finishes like countertops and flooring are definitely notable. The chassis is also a big difference. Drop frame on the north point automatically makes it need to be stronger and more ridged then the Eagles straight frame. The 6 point level system that's standard on the north point vs optional on the Eagle is also a big indicator there are frame differences. The few 1000 lb weight difference is also a big indicator that the north point is built stronger. Anyway just a few observations I have seen. Also I spoke for over an hour with the lead engineer on both lines (Eagle and north point) and both flat out said the north point was built off the roots of the Eagle and the pinnacle more or less to meet in the middle of the two lines. FyI the north point was until 2016 called the Eagle primer line. It was rebranded in 2016. That is why you dont see used ones older then 2016.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:09 PM   #29
Jon

I agree with XXX that the North Point is clearly bigger and nicer and more marketed to full timers and the warranty is a “Full Time” warranty, though it is the same 2 year warranty as the Eagle. The North Point has some higher end finish materials, and has more heavy duty frame and suspension and leveling. These are scaled to size to carry the weight and size of the trailer, but they are all the same welded I-beam frames, Dexter heavy duty axles, MoreRide rubber suspension, just scaled to size for the weight of the trailer that is determined by size and finish materials inside the trailer. The walls, gel coat, ceiling, R-values, floor construction, electrical, plumbing, etc. are the same. I spent a lot of time looking at them side by side and I decided the NP was bigger and heavier than I wanted and that the nicer finish materials didn’t make a difference for me. Now, two years out I still like the NP and look at the new models every year but still have found no reason to “upgrade” from the Eagle, but that is a matter of individual preference. I’m not sure what a “camper” or other type of 5th wheel is these days when they all have similar components, construction and features, but if I’m labeled a “camper” I’m happy to be one! I hope this discussion is instructive to the original poster asking for input. I would suggest input here is a starting point and from here you should do lots of research for a good while before you are ready to buy. RV Consumer Group at rv.org has a great program to educate RV consumers and also rate RV’s.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:10 PM   #30
Jon

Sorry for the typo. I meant to say I agree with the previous poster.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:30 PM   #31
Jon

One more point of input. If you are transitioning from a motorhome, you will need to consider the tow rig for the 5er. This will involve more research for that vehicle. It would be best to choose them both at the same time so you can match them to each other. If you already have a pickup, then matching the trailer to it is essential. Good rule of thumb is to keep the GVWR of the trailer well below the towing capacity of the tow vehicle, the more the better. As you go to heavier trailers, you need to go to heavier tow rigs and/or sacrifice fuel economy, handling, and safety. rv.org also has good info on this.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:56 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
One more point of input. If you are transitioning from a motorhome, you will need to consider the tow rig for the 5er. This will involve more research for that vehicle. It would be best to choose them both at the same time so you can match them to each other. If you already have a pickup, then matching the trailer to it is essential. Good rule of thumb is to keep the GVWR of the trailer well below the towing capacity of the tow vehicle, the more the better. As you go to heavier trailers, you need to go to heavier tow rigs and/or sacrifice fuel economy, handling, and safety. rv.org also has good info on this.
I absolutely agree. Get a general idea of 5er you want take the heaviest of the ones your considering add at least 10% to that and go look at trucks. Better over kill on the TV then to get one that limits the RV options.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:39 AM   #33

We researched for years and bought our first 5th wheel this month. We went with the Eagle 317 RLOK. It’s very similar in floorplan to 321 RSTS. Only difference was 317 has an outdoor kitchen. If my memory serves me right. Looked at a lot of models and we too wanted to stay under 37’. This model has a lot of living space as well as a nice size bedroom. My hubby was thrilled with the bathroom as it has a porcelain toilet. This model came with a lot of storage in kitchen and living area and that becomes major if living full time. We actually went from a bunkhouse plan to this model after realizing in order to get bunkhouse and keep under 37’ we had to sacrifice living space. We thought the bunkhouse would provide a “doggie room/storage room” and then when ppl stay with us a private room for them. But then we realized we needed to select a model that worked best for us as a couple since 95% of the time it would be just us.
Also we went to Elkhart IN and went on several RV Mfgr tours. That’s what helped us determine Jayco was brand for us. That helped narrow down the overwhelming RV options. Hubby and I love the bells and whistles but care more about what’s behind the walls and hidden areas. With all the horror stories we’ve heard regarding RV issues we wanted to at least lower our chances of problems. That’s why we chose Jayco. Happy Hunting!!!!
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:04 AM   #34

Mrlarson59 we also bought the 2018 317rlok and absolutely love it. Most of the time it's just my husband and I we have plenty of room and there is plenty of storage room. Our fifth wheel is currently parked at a seasonal Campground until we retire and hope to be full timers. When my daughter comes up with her husband and 3 kids the adults pitch a tent and the three little ones sleep on the pull-out sofa it's been working great for us. Happy shopping can't wait for the 2019 camping season here in Maine😀
Wezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:38 PM   #35

As has been mentionied before here, we picked out our 5er and then the truck to pull it.

What I knew about trucks before this I could have learned from Jeff Foxworthy jokes. Lucky we have friends and neighbors that know trucks well. What took me the longest was to get my head around were the charts of weights, capacities, acronyms and definitions. I learned from forum posts not to completely trust truck and RV dealers with these Recommendations

We love the truck, btw and feel safe as well as comfy
-angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #36

Own a 2019 321 RSTS, like other reviews, love it. Lived in it for almost 4 weeks and had no issues ,,
mikensue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:14 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensue View Post
Own a 2019 321 RSTS, like other reviews, love it. Lived in it for almost 4 weeks and had no issues ,,

This is good to hear, we go and pick ours up Tuesday. By any chance have you winterize it yet or should I say know how?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote