Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-28-2021, 01:54 PM   #1

First time cold weather camping

Planning a trip up to Colorado. 2022 North Point 373BHOK. Any tips tricks things to do to keep things from freezing and bursting?
Old 12-28-2021, 02:37 PM   #2

I'm in my Melbourne in Duluth, Minnesota tonight where it will get down to minus three. I'm doing this by design to see how well it works. Make sure you're winterized completely. Than as long as your in the cold climate the best you can do is use the toilet for, as they say, number one - when you have to only! You keep some of the pink anti-freeze in the tank, I'd say a gallon to start, and keep some in your bathroom to flush. If you have a standard lead battery for the coach you're fine. Make sure it's well charged when you leave and reliable. If you're thinking you'll hunker down somewhere and use the plumbing while camped out that's something I cannot help you with. I've seen stories about people with hay bales and heated hoses, etc. Just haven't been down that road. My brother has told me that some passes through the mountains get closed and you have to show that you have chains to get through in bad weather. Not certain I'd drive in that stuff regardless.
Old 12-28-2021, 03:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTx View Post
Planning a trip up to Colorado. 2022 North Point 373BHOK. Any tips tricks things to do to keep **** from freezing and bursting?

Where?
When?
Elevation?

Yeah - the only sure thing is to winterize.

And welcome to Colorado.
Old 12-28-2021, 05:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Where?
When?
Elevation?

Yeah - the only sure thing is to winterize.

And welcome to Colorado.
X2, what temps are you expecting?

Are you staying somewhere, that includes electricity?

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 07:06 PM   #5
CAG

Try searching with the search bar at the top of the page as well as Google and the internet. There are many, many previous threads on this and many with a number of very good suggestions.

I'll give you the bottom line. If you are camping at high altitude or low temps you can survive but it will take some effort. If you have water lines of any kind exposed or no heated underbelly it will take even more effort.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 08:57 PM   #6

Depending on your, route there are some great free campgrounds with electric in west Texas. We usually go "cross country" instead of taking 10 all the way from San Antonio to Colorado. Avoid using your water system. Keep several gallon containers of water to flush, clean up, and cook with. Watch the weather. Getting caught on freezing roads is a recipe for disaster. Do not rely on your propane system or electric heater. Have warm sleeping bags and clothes in case things get challenging.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 12-28-2021, 09:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluztoo View Post
I'm in my Melbourne in Duluth, Minnesota tonight where it will get down to minus three. I'm doing this by design to see how well it works. Make sure you're winterized completely. Than as long as your in the cold climate the best you can do is use the toilet for, as they say, number one - when you have to only! You keep some of the pink anti-freeze in the tank, I'd say a gallon to start, and keep some in your bathroom to flush. If you have a standard lead battery for the coach you're fine. Make sure it's well charged when you leave and reliable. If you're thinking you'll hunker down somewhere and use the plumbing while camped out that's something I cannot help you with. I've seen stories about people with hay bales and heated hoses, etc. Just haven't been down that road. My brother has told me that some passes through the mountains get closed and you have to show that you have chains to get through in bad weather. Not certain I'd drive in that stuff regardless.
With proper planning... It CAN BE DONE...

Overnight lows were +5F Seneca was not winterized, but we had to haul water from the Laundry of the RV park to fill the tank of our Seneca. I dumped the black about every 5 days and the grey once a day. We stayed at Dakota Meadows RV Park for 3 weeks in miserable weather... but our Seneca did not freeze any pipes - (Search in JOF to see the mods we did to make it able to survive +5F. )
Attached Thumbnails
20190411_172317.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote