Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2018, 08:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiggins View Post
I felt I was maxed for what I would pull with my f350 6.7 with my Eagle 325bhqs... Y'all are really pushing it. 75% of cap is what I feel is max. Pushing at truck to 100% or beyond is unsafe due to compromised stopping power and asking for a short life of the truck. Just my 2 cents though...
I didn't know a DRW had any different brakes than an SRW truck?

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:07 PM   #22

Thanks everyone for the help. I went and bought a new 3500 so I don't have to worry
krbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by krbrat View Post
Thanks everyone for the help. I went and bought a new 3500 so I don't have to worry
Dang, thats how you do it. Nice.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:17 AM   #24

Quote:
That's right. You don't have to worry.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:34 AM   #25

Goducks congratulations!!! Pics please[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2018, 06:46 AM   #26

krbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:18 AM   #27

Nice truck...looks like mine, minus the mega-cab.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:30 AM   #28

Krbrat, very nice!!! Love those Rams!!!

Old 03-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #29

Quote:
Good decision... that's what you really needed to match that 5ver
Chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:05 PM   #30

Quote:
A very wise decision !
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:13 AM   #31

Quote:
I felt I was maxed for what I would pull with my f350 6.7 with my Eagle 325bhqs... Y'all are really pushing it. 75% of cap is what I feel is max. Pushing at truck to 100% or beyond is unsafe due to compromised stopping power and asking for a short life of the truck. Just my 2 cents though...
I do not agree that it is unsafe. In many cases the brakes, engine and transmission are the same in the 3/4 and 1 ton SRW trucks. The only real difference is in the springs.

When you go to a dually the rear axle and suspension is changed. Some companies change the transmission too. Engines are usually still the same. Dualies provide much greater roll stability,

I have never worried about braking. First, even my Tundra, towing a max load fiver, could easily stop the rig without the trailer brakes. Twice I lost the brakes when towing. Once on a 10 mile 6$ grade. I didn't even notice the loss until I got to the next exit. Even then it was barely noticable. Second, the trailer brakes, if properly adjust, will stop the trailer. The only thing to worry about is fade, which you need to manage when driving.

So, all of us who have pulled at or over max weights, yep, the load tows just fine, when on normal roads and traffic. The difference comes when you get into those stressing positions, like very high winds and big dips in the roads.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:07 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
I do not agree that it is unsafe. In many cases the brakes, engine and transmission are the same in the 3/4 and 1 ton SRW trucks. The only real difference is in the springs.

When you go to a dually the rear axle and suspension is changed. Some companies change the transmission too. Engines are usually still the same. Dualies provide much greater roll stability,

I have never worried about braking. First, even my Tundra, towing a max load fiver, could easily stop the rig without the trailer brakes. Twice I lost the brakes when towing. Once on a 10 mile 6$ grade. I didn't even notice the loss until I got to the next exit. Even then it was barely noticable. Second, the trailer brakes, if properly adjust, will stop the trailer. The only thing to worry about is fade, which you need to manage when driving.

So, all of us who have pulled at or over max weights, yep, the load tows just fine, when on normal roads and traffic. The difference comes when you get into those stressing positions, like very high winds and big dips in the roads.
Let me give you some background on me. I manage a multi million dollar construction company. I have trucks all different sizes. Unlike many we NEVER overload a truck. First as a professional we are held at a higher standard but the main reason is that is what stupid people do. Truck rates are there for a reason. Can a unrated truck tow a larger load, yes probably. As you said under regular conditions but regular good conditions isn't what you should plan for. You should plan for the worst.

Yes there is differences more than leaf springs in a 3/4 to a 1 ton... also it's not all about what the engine can pull, sorry that shows your in experience. It's about what your brakes can stop. Would you want to find out your wife is in the hospital due to some moron with a puffed out chest was way over loaded and couldn't stop in time? You know one of my men was hit due to this and now will never walk again by some moron with a way under rated truck towing a boat? When you have to pick up a man's wife with 3 small children to bring them to see their daddy in the hospital cause a complete moron? Yea I have not only technical reasons but personal experience.

Also there is a very big difference in a dw to sw stopping power... 6 tires stopping is whole lot more effective than 4 on a sw.

Anyways people can call me the tow police or a jerk. And I'm just "touching" on some big points. I can go on forever why you towing with a unrated truck is a huge stupid move. Didn't even get into insurance issues. Accidentally hit someone with a overweight truck not only will your insurance walk away from you but you can face criminal charges. Guy that hit my employee was sentenced to 180 days.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:47 AM   #33
Site Team

Rear axle ratios are also different on DRWs.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #34

Quote:
I like how you roll!
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #35

Quote:

Yes there is differences more than leaf springs in a 3/4 to a 1 ton...

Sorry, but the the only different between an F250 and F350SRW is an single overload leaf(per side) in the rear spring pack. Same frame, drivetrain, axles, brakes, body.
The ram 2500/3500SRW share frame, body, drivetrain, axles, brakes, and front suspension. The rear suspension is different, and I don’t know how much I would trust it overloaded until we start finding it under 3500s.
I don’t know about GMs, because I would never even consider an IFS HD truck.

I’m not advocating running around overloaded, but the weight police sometimes get a little out of control.

2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
Sorry, but the the only different between an F250 and F350SRW is an single overload leaf(per side) in the rear spring pack. Same frame, drivetrain, axles, brakes, body.
The ram 2500/3500SRW share frame, body, drivetrain, axles, brakes, and front suspension. The rear suspension is different, and I don’t know how much I would trust it overloaded until we start finding it under 3500s.
I don’t know about GMs, because I would never even consider an IFS HD truck.

I’m not advocating running around overloaded, but the weight police sometimes get a little out of control.

Wrong.... f350 have many differences even stock. Hydro boosted brakes... different axle... different ratios... and etc... plus F350 has additional options that can change them more. There is a point to 1 ton truck.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #37

Quote:
Let me give you some background on me. I manage a multi million dollar construction company. I have trucks all different sizes. Unlike many we NEVER overload a truck. First as a professional we are held at a higher standard but the main reason is that is what stupid people do. Truck rates are there for a reason. Can a unrated truck tow a larger load, yes probably. As you said under regular conditions but regular good conditions isn't what you should plan for. You should plan for the worst.

Yes there is differences more than leaf springs in a 3/4 to a 1 ton... also it's not all about what the engine can pull, sorry that shows your in experience. It's about what your brakes can stop. Would you want to find out your wife is in the hospital due to some moron with a puffed out chest was way over loaded and couldn't stop in time? You know one of my men was hit due to this and now will never walk again by some moron with a way under rated truck towing a boat? When you have to pick up a man's wife with 3 small children to bring them to see their daddy in the hospital cause a complete moron? Yea I have not only technical reasons but personal experience.

Also there is a very big difference in a dw to sw stopping power... 6 tires stopping is whole lot more effective than 4 on a sw.

Anyways people can call me the tow police or a jerk. And I'm just "touching" on some big points. I can go on forever why you towing with a unrated truck is a huge stupid move. Didn't even get into insurance issues. Accidentally hit someone with a overweight truck not only will your insurance walk away from you but you can face criminal charges. Guy that hit my employee was sentenced to 180 days.
I think you are saying about the same thing as I am. I would never exceed the GAWR or GCWR of a vehicle.

When looking at 4 tires it makes little difference in braking between a 3/4 and 1T rating. Big change when you go to a dually. And a trailer brakes should be enough to stop the trailer (their problem is fade on long use).

And, every 3/4T and every 1T are not the same. Big differences in model years and across the model lines. One 3/4T may be rated for less than 2000lb, the one next to it 2600lb and the next 3000lb.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:50 PM   #38

Quote:
Wrong.... f350 have many differences even stock. Hydro boosted brakes... different axle... different ratios... and etc... plus F350 has additional options that can change them more. There is a point to 1 ton truck.
Respectfully, you are incorrect. I have researched the Fords extensively, mostly years 2011 - 2017 and SRW F250s and SRW F350s are bascially the same truck except for a lower spring rate and spring pack:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-question.html

Having said that, you are correct that there is a point to a 1 ton SRW truck. The point is the GVWR, in many states the F250 on paper stays below commercial category while the F350SRW GVWR puts it into commerical licensing category in many states. So they put out the F250 numbers so individuals in those states can avoid having to license as commerical while enjoying benefits of an HD truck.

Not advocating for overloading, just stating fact.
Slurugger is offline   Reply With Quote