Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2019, 07:17 PM   #1

First time winterizing....questions.

2019 Eagle HT 25.5REOK. Asked a bunch of questions from the guy at CW that does the winterizing for the trailers on the lot. He was not much help. Seemed to be in a hurry. Watched a few videos on YouTube, thought I had it down.

When I went to suck the antifreeze in it sucked up 3 gallons flat without turning off the pump. No antifreeze coming out anywhere.

I did drain the hot water heater and left the plug out and openned the bypass valves and nothing coming out so I assume I did that right. I purged all the lines with 30 psi air. I opened the valve that sucks the antifreeze and closed the the other one on the outlet side of the pump. Was I pumping this into the fresh water tank? Should I have left the valve on the out let side alone. I did make sure all the faucets were closed before I started sucking antifreeze.

In the video of a little bigger eagle the pump stopped at about a half gallon and he went in and opened the faucets.

Should this 5er take more than 3 gallons to prime? Why is there no exact step by step instructions? Frustrating. They want you to bring it in and pay them to do this.

What am I doing wrong?

Archie

If the women don't find you handsome, they shoud at least find you handy!

Mark and Debi
Bountiful, UT
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 25.5 REOK
2017 F250 Power Stroke XL Standard Cab Long Bed
Madwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #2

Well, it pumped it somewhere, if you pump from the fresh water tank do you get antifreeze? My 25' has 1 kitchen sink, bathtub, bathroom sink and toilet it took almost a full gallon of antifreeze...for reference.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Well, it pumped it somewhere, if you pump from the fresh water tank do you get antifreeze? My 25' has 1 kitchen sink, bathtub, bathroom sink and toilet it took almost a full gallon of antifreeze...for reference.
No I was wondering if could have pumped it INTO the fresh water tank. I have the same. 2 sinks shower and toilet.

Mark and Debi
Bountiful, UT
Old 10-18-2019, 08:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwinger View Post
No I was wondering if could have pumped it INTO the fresh water tank. I have the same. 2 sinks shower and toilet.
Ok, What I was meaning, is if you pump water from the freshwater tank do you get antifreeze? Something should come out of that tank if there’s something in it. The other question I have would be is there a puddle of antifreeze underneath the camper somewhere? Did you leave a low point valve open and it pumped it on the ground.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:53 PM   #5

I see. I drained the fresh water tank. No antifreeze is coming out the drain or pumping from the tank. Nothing on the ground. I must have turned a valve to let it go into the water tank. Will look at it closer tomorrow.

Mark and Debi
Bountiful, UT
Old 10-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #6

Quote:
I see. I drained the fresh water tank. No antifreeze is coming out the drain or pumping from the tank. Nothing on the ground. I must have turned a valve to let it go into the water tank. Will look at it closer tomorrow.

OK, I think I know what happened to my antifreeze. It makes sense that it went to the fresh water tank as there was no where else to go. I just did not understand why. I am a visual learner so I drew a diagram of the plumbing at the pump. I had valve #1 open to the bypass back to the inlet line. this sent the majority back to the water tank inlet. So now I know all I have to open is the antifreeze draw valve.

Now I am wondering what is valve #1 used for?

I guess the best way to deal with the antifreeze in the water tank at this point is to flush the crap out of it in the spring?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5311.jpg  

Mark and Debi
Bountiful, UT
Old 10-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #7
Site Team

That's correct. You can open the fresh water tank drain to let out the antifreeze that's in there, and then put water in the gravity fill port until it's flushed out. Then after that I'd sanitize the system.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
That's correct. You can open the fresh water tank drain to let out the antifreeze that's in there, and then put water in the gravity fill port until it's flushed out. Then after that I'd sanitize the system.

Thanks JflightRisk, what does one use to sanitize the system? Does one suck it thru the system like the antifreeze?

Any idea on why one would close Valve #1 in the picture?

Thanks

Archie

Mark and Debi
Bountiful, UT
Old 10-19-2019, 06:43 PM   #9
Site Team

No, but there's threads here that explain how to mix a bleach/water ratio, fill the tank through the gravity fill port, let it sit for a while, then flush the system out with fresh water. I'll find one for you.

I'm not sure about the valve #1. You show a line 90* to the left from it, and I'm not sure why. Maybe someone else will chime in with a better answer on that.

Here's how to sanitize.
https://rvbasics.com/techtips/saniti...er-system.html

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 10-19-2019, 06:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
No, but there's threads here that explain how to mix a bleach/water ratio, fill the tank through the gravity fill port, let it sit for a while, then flush the system out with fresh water. I'll find one for you.

I'm not sure about the valve #1. You show a line 90* to the left from it, and I'm not sure why. Maybe someone else will chime in with a better answer on that.

Thanks I appreciate that.

Perhaps its just to isolate the pump when one is removing it for repair or replacement. But then the line back to the inlet would not be needed. Interesting.

Mark and Debi
Bountiful, UT
Old 10-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #11
Site Team

I truly am not sure. If there's someone here that has a like unit, maybe they could explain it to the both of us. If that valve is what they call a 'three way', that may be a different story.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 10-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #12

I have a 2020 30.5 CKTS, but I assume the plumbing is set up much the same way. I am all but certain you pumped your antifreeze into your fresh water tank. The clear suction tube is primarily intended for sucking antifreeze into the plumbing system. However, on my unit, the two valves in the manifold near the clear suction tube allow you to do two very different things. By turning the valve at the fitting the clear tube is connected to, you draw through the clear tube, whereas, in the normal position, it draws from the fresh water holding tank. The other valve back-feeds to the holding tank line (which is both a fill line and suction line) and allows you draw water from another source such as a portable water container and pump into your tank so you can replenish your supply when not using a city water connection. I actually removed the entire panel that my pump and most plumbing is located behind, and labelled (with arrows) each pipe so I know what direction the water runs and what the valves do. You can't always assume the valve handle is a reliable indicator of how a particular valve directs the flow.
It is possible to have pumped 3 gallons of liquid into a completely empty tank and not have any of it drain out the drain line. It depends on how level the unit is, etc.
It's not a bad thing to have antifreeze in your tank line, though it is a waste to have it in the tank itself, and it will require a lot of flushing in the spring.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:55 PM   #13

I see that now that you mentioned it. It sucked all these gallons in about 2 minutes so you could fill a 35 gallon tank in about 10 min from a spring or other water source. That’s really good to know. Thank you.

Mark and Debi
Bountiful, UT
Old 10-30-2019, 12:47 PM   #14

You guys got it. Those campers need pressurized water to fill your tank. The valve allows you to add water from a potable water can if your parked and don't have a spicket.
ramslovemopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:00 PM   #15

Today before dropping mine off at the dealer for warranty, decided to blow out the lines. Followed the instructions in the book and but was left a little confused. The book has you put all but the black lever at a 45 before applying the air with all the low points open. With the air on at 30-35psi I had no water spraying from any faucets or flush on toilet. Some came out the low point, but that’s it. On my previous trailer without the uni-doc and bypassing the HWH, I’d get water and then air from the pipes. Does this sound right? Fortunately it’s not critical where I’m at yet.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:12 PM   #16

Here is my go to for winterizing. Unfortunately I ran out of time. Trying to dry out my awning and its rained all week now we are getting snow. I can't win. Hoping for sun next week to dry it out and then put the canvas over it. Can't win for trying.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:01 AM   #17

Quote:
2019 Eagle HT 25.5REOK. Asked a bunch of questions from the guy at CW that does the winterizing for the trailers on the lot. He was not much help. Seemed to be in a hurry. Watched a few videos on YouTube, thought I had it down.

When I went to suck the antifreeze in it sucked up 3 gallons flat without turning off the pump. No antifreeze coming out anywhere.

I did drain the hot water heater and left the plug out and openned the bypass valves and nothing coming out so I assume I did that right. I purged all the lines with 30 psi air. I opened the valve that sucks the antifreeze and closed the the other one on the outlet side of the pump. Was I pumping this into the fresh water tank? Should I have left the valve on the out let side alone. I did make sure all the faucets were closed before I started sucking antifreeze.

In the video of a little bigger eagle the pump stopped at about a half gallon and he went in and opened the faucets.

Should this 5er take more than 3 gallons to prime? Why is there no exact step by step instructions? Frustrating. They want you to bring it in and pay them to do this.

What am I doing wrong?

Archie

Sounds like you did exactly what I did once. I forgot to close the Low point hot and cold drains. When my pump kicked on it sucked a full bottle instantly and puked it on the ground. I went through 2 or 3 gallons before I had my kid look outside to see what was going on. After that it only took a 1/2 gallon to finish the whole trailer..
Dragaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragaxx View Post
Sounds like you did exactly what I did once. I forgot to close the Low point hot and cold drains. When my pump kicked on it sucked a full bottle instantly and puked it on the ground. I went through 2 or 3 gallons before I had my kid look outside to see what was going on. After that it only took a 1/2 gallon to finish the whole trailer..
Well no...... mine did no go in the ground. I had my pull up low point valves closed. I did however open the other valve labeled #2 in my picture. That allowed a closed loop circuit to pump the anti freeze into my fresh water tank.