Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2022, 08:45 AM   #1

Fisher Paykel dishwasher install...

After using our Pinnacle 37MDQS for about 15 days straight, we discovered that we were not fans of the farm sink setup. That's probably something that deserves a whole thread on it's own...

So, in looking into what different options would be there, came across this link to this YouTube video on a FisherPaykel drawer dishwasher install:

https://youtu.be/kKFDThbATq4

He does a good job of explaining the steps he went thru to get it installed, and some of the reasoning behind installing one, mostly water conservation. which is probably our biggest gripe about the farm sink.

So, we decided that adding a dishwasher would be a good solution. But, since I can never do anything the easy way, I started measuring, and I discovered that I should be able to fit the TALL version, Fisher Paykel model DD24SCTX9N, dishwasher into our 37MDQS, not the shorter version in the video.

At the end of the day, I DID get the taller version in there, but there is no room for error, and I'm not for sure that I would recommend this to everyone, as it may not fit in some units, due to the drain on the sink. Unfortunately, I didn't take a pic of this, but the issue is on the left side of the cabinet where the sink drain comes down. The overall height of the tall unit is 17.875" and the dimension from the bottom of the cabinet to the drain pipe is 17.75", but the pipe does move up some. If that dimension was much less than that, I would say this install won't work. This install does also require more rework of the cabinet, which could scare some people away too.

As for installing it, the taller version requires a few more mods than the smaller version, which are related to the height. You have to remove material from both the BOTTOM of the cabinet and the top of the top of the cabinet.

The bottom was pretty easy. Just use a vibratory tool, and set it along the bottom of the cabinet, and cut the front off. The vibratory tool doesn't make a great finished edge, but that's all covered up, so not a big deal. That ultimately removes about a 3/16" of material from the opening, but still not enough.

The top is a little trickier to fix. You have to cut about 3/8" off of the top side of the cabinet. Again, I turned to the vibratory tool, but I used a piece of angle iron as a guide. That worked OK, but again, the vibratory tool doesn't make a super great cut.

One tip that I ran onto is that the right side of the cabinet has to be removed also. That piece comes right out, BUT there are actually 4 screws that hold it on, and there are 2 of them that are hidden, so you need to take a piece to get to them, and it's just held on with staples, and comes right off.

After getting the cabinet all trimmed out, I used some dark stain to hide all of the white wood. The dishwasher itself also covers that up too.

I decided to use the front screw option, and not the side option. If I had that to do over again, I would probably use the side option. I did split out one of the front stiles, but it's really noticeable, except to me.

Another tip that I can pass along about this install is that the instructions aren't super clear, at least not pictorially, that there is a rubber washer what you have to install onto the hose adapter. Without that, the connection will leak.

Here is the installed dishwasher in place.

The dishwasher works GREAT, and is super super quiet. The only time that we can hear it, is when it's draining, and that's mostly noise coming from the sink drain. One plus to the size of unit is that we can get a half-sized baking sheet in there, standing on end. We put pots, pans, everything that will fit inside of there, and it handles it all with no issues.

After getting the dishwasher installed, I decided to repurpose the drawer that came out, and I trimmed it down to fit inside of the bottom pantry cabinet, where we keep all of our pans. It's easy to lose stuff in those deep narrow cabinets.

I was actually able to use all of the pieces from the drawer, and just trim the drawer to fit the new cabinet size.

Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20220610_220120823.jpg   PXL_20220610_213126508.jpg   PXL_20220611_012725378.jpg   PXL_20220611_165620832.jpg   PXL_20220611_165630269.jpg  

PXL_20220611_184251602.jpg   PXL_20220611_184314580.jpg   PXL_20220611_195130950.jpg   PXL_20220611_195136342.jpg  
Old 06-25-2022, 09:32 AM   #2

I am NOT showing this thread to the DW! (DW =Dear wife, not dish washer) or I'll be installing one...
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 10:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
I am NOT showing this thread to the DW! (DW =Dear wife, not dish washer) or I'll be installing one...
LOL. That's kind of what happened to me. I had actually kidded her about getting a dishwasher when we got this unit, since it had everything we could ever want EXCEPT a dishwasher, and she thought that was silly. Her tune changed after after about the 10th day of "living" in it, and doing dishes with the farm sink. My wife was fed up with it, and we started talking about what we could do.

If I had it to do over again, I probably would have opted for the smaller version, which requires NO cutting of the cabinet to actually get it installed. I could have probably had that version installed in less than 1.5 hours. It wouldn't take that long at all...
Old 06-25-2022, 10:10 AM   #4

As a side note to this conversation, I think that this winter I'm going to build drawers for all of the pantry locations. We are constantly fighting getting things in and out of there. A lot of storage space there, but not really all that user friendly.

The DW and I had actually talked about that change before the install of the dishwasher...