Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2020, 01:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jab55 View Post
Did your MH used to be all white....I assumed from the pics that it was a painted model....I was kind of bummed I didn't get the paint option...but it was a great deal. If I can get a vinyl wrap that looks like paint I'm in. What kind of maintenance is involved....do you need to wax it ? Big question what was the cost.... By the way you MH looks great.
It does look good, but any reputable vinyl installer will tell you it only lasts five to seven years.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:57 PM   #22

depending on maintenance....maybe 5 to 7 years is still OK. If I spend $500 - 600 a year getting my MH waxed and detailed....thats $3500 to $4200. Depending on the original cost maybe it would make sense.
Jab55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 02:59 PM   #23

Front End Fade

The warranty on our 2018 Jayco Eagle HT was up on 14 September 2020. We had scheduled an appointment in April with our dealer, Sicard RV, to fix up some things, notably the paint on the front cap. Of course, Covid hit and they were closed for 3 months so I called Jayco headquarters in Indiana to see if they were going to extend the warranty and her reply was "why would we do that, we were open here". Sicards managed to squeeze us in and after much back and forth with Jayco, we were approved for a paint job and it was completed 10 Sept. 2020. When we were at the dealer to drop it off there were 2 other Eagles there, both needing front cap paint and one brand spanking new one sitting on the lot with the same issue. It is obvious they have a problem with the paint and I believe they should take care of it. We were fortunate that they repaired ours but I believe the reason was because our dealer was so persistent. It looks great now altho has to go back in for the decals which apparently take quite some time to come in. For now , it's a 'bald eagle'
auntmarthas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:13 PM   #24
CAG

Some time back there was an issue with all grey front RVs. The problem as told by several manufacturers was that the material that they were supplied with did not have enough UV preventative and thus the fade would begin within a few months of the RV hitting the street. Some manufacturers took care of the issue under warranty or if out of warranty provided a one time payment to help pay for the repair.

It would seem that either the supplier is still not providing the proper mixture of coating especially for grey and white or they don't care and neither do the manufacturers. There should not be this many RVs out there with this continuing problem.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:30 PM   #25

Quote:
depending on maintenance....maybe 5 to 7 years is still OK. If I spend $500 - 600 a year getting my MH waxed and detailed....thats $3500 to $4200. Depending on the original cost maybe it would make sense.
Thirty bucks for wax and beer on a Saturday
Old 10-03-2020, 05:42 PM   #26

I have the same problem with my 2014 Jayco eagle, front cap started to fade around the forth year, and out of warranty, so my neighbor came over and advised me to use virgin coconut oil, it does not eliminate the fade but looks a lot better then that ugly fade, install the oil twice a year and that's keeps the cap nice looking. It only takes approximately 10 minutes to apply, use a rag and rub it on, this fix only cost under five dollars for a couple of years of re-applying
Rickv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:40 AM   #27

How did you color match the paint. When I asked Jayco they didn’t know the paint code or the name of the color.
I’ve had mine repainted once by the dealer but it happened again and they won’t do anything about it.
Cricket59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:43 AM   #28
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Did your MH used to be all white....I assumed from the pics that it was a painted model....I was kind of bummed I didn't get the paint option...but it was a great deal. If I can get a vinyl wrap that looks like paint I'm in. What kind of maintenance is involved....do you need to wax it ? Big question what was the cost.... By the way you MH looks great.
Yep, it was all white with a few striped decals. The Redhawks have a pretty basic exterior. I originally was going to buy a Melbourne with the exterior paint, but then I saw the 24B with the same floor plan, and knew I could do a custom, one of a kind vinyl wrap instead of the paint.

You can get a vinyl wrap to look like what ever you want. It's a blank slate, and they print what ever design you want. Example, all the commercial trucks on the road with the company logos and pictures. Everyone was custom designed.

From a maintenance point of view, it's been a year and a half, and I don't have to touch it. It rarely even needs to be washed, as the rain just rinses all the dirt off. I'm amazed, but the wrap looks just like it did when I brought it home. I'm really happy with it. No waxing needed.

It cost me $3800, which included taking off all the Jayco and Redhawk decals, which is less than half the price of the Melbourne paint. In a few years, I can get it wrapped with a whole new look and still be below the paint cost.

This is why I suggested people consider wrapping their caps when having these paint issues. It's really simple and will save a ton of work and stress.

Here's the before and after pics of my rig:
Attached Thumbnails
RV rear.jpg   RV rt side.jpg   RV side.jpg  
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:50 AM   #29
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
It does look good, but any reputable vinyl installer will tell you it only lasts five to seven years.
That's correct, the vinyl has a 5 year warranty. But that seems to be a lot longer than these paint issues people are having, and the hassle to send the rig in to sanded, painted, cleared, and the regular waxing.. I would estimate you could get the front caps wrapped for maybe $500 - $1000, and you'd be done. And you could customize it and personalize it with any graphics or images you wanted.

It took 3 days to do the wrap on my complete rig, instead of having it sit at a dealer for weeks/months for a repaint.

Best part, it wouldn't be a rolling billboard for Jayco. My rig originally had the big Jayco logo on all four sides.... No longer.....
Old 10-04-2020, 09:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
That's correct, the vinyl has a 5 year warranty. But that seems to be a lot longer than these paint issues people are having, and the hassle to send the rig in to sanded, painted, cleared, and the regular waxing.. I would estimate you could get the front caps wrapped for maybe $500 - $1000, and you'd be done. And you could customize it and personalize it with any graphics or images you wanted.

It took 3 days to do the wrap on my complete rig, instead of having it sit at a dealer for weeks/months for a repaint.

Best part, it wouldn't be a rolling billboard for Jayco. My rig originally had the big Jayco logo on all four sides.... No longer.....
I will be interested to see how the wrap does with a compromised substrate. I know you don't have that issue, but I am sure some will try the wrap.
Old 10-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #31

Thats amazing Retired One. My rig is a little bigger but same original paint and decals as yours. I will check into getting it wrapped. It's not a huge deal because we are lucky enough to be able to park it indoors....so the only time its in the elements is when we travel.... Thanks for the info.
Jab55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:30 PM   #32
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I will be interested to see how the wrap does with a compromised substrate. I know you don't have that issue, but I am sure some will try the wrap.
I think what's cool with the wrap is it's like a big sticker. The surface doesn't really need to be perfect, just close to smooth. So, in the case of fading with the cap, if just the Jayco decals are removed, the wrap could go right on.

Quote:
Thats amazing Retired One. My rig is a little bigger but same original paint and decals as yours. I will check into getting it wrapped. It's not a huge deal because we are lucky enough to be able to park it indoors....so the only time its in the elements is when we travel.... Thanks for the info.
My rig sits in the sun all Summer, with the rear facing South. I cover it in the Winter. I expected to see the vinyl either shrink, peel or fade because of the heat of the sun, or rain water sneaking in, but I don't see any of that yet.

Also, what's interesting, and this would also pertain to the front cap, the areas in the front with the wrap, bugs don't stick to it as bad as the other standard fiberglass exterior areas.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:26 AM   #33

Sad to hear of this. I have the same model and age. Indoor winter storage only out from May to September. Warranty finished in May. Just started the battle with Jayco. Guess it's uphill and all roads lead to nowhere.
Jaycoht18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:54 PM   #34
CAG

I am going to add to the story here. I am one of the people who, if you asked about paying for the "coating" that is offered by some sales people, I would suggest that you put the money elsewhere. In most cases they are just more money for the dealers. '

In my case I bought a slightly used Greyhawk and the previous owner had bought that package. I found the paperwork in with manuals etc and in reading the contract I found I could transfer the contract over to me for $50. Thinking I had nothing to lose I did that. Well, low and behold 6 months later the front cap starts to oxidize and having gone through this before I knew what the final outcome would be. That one cost Heartland $3K to fix.

I had the RV into National Indoor RV (a plug for some very good service) and the service manager said he would turn the contract over to his paint and body person because he always seemed to have good luck with these contracts. Today I got an email from the contract company saying that they had authorized the paint and body people here to make the repair, and reapply the "protective coating" so that the warranty could continue to the end of the contract.

Bottom line here. Considering all of the problems that RVs have with finishes, and especially in Arizona's climate, I might step back and reevaluate "protective finishes". Now I will say, I have never bought this with a car/truck and never had a finish problem with any of those but fiberglass bodies, well something to consider.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntmarthas View Post
The warranty on our 2018 Jayco Eagle HT was up on 14 September 2020. We had scheduled an appointment in April with our dealer, Sicard RV, to fix up some things, notably the paint on the front cap. Of course, Covid hit and they were closed for 3 months so I called Jayco headquarters in Indiana to see if they were going to extend the warranty and her reply was "why would we do that, we were open here". Sicards managed to squeeze us in and after much back and forth with Jayco, we were approved for a paint job and it was completed 10 Sept. 2020. When we were at the dealer to drop it off there were 2 other Eagles there, both needing front cap paint and one brand spanking new one sitting on the lot with the same issue. It is obvious they have a problem with the paint and I believe they should take care of it. We were fortunate that they repaired ours but I believe the reason was because our dealer was so persistent. It looks great now altho has to go back in for the decals which apparently take quite some time to come in. For now , it's a 'bald eagle'

I wouldn't want to hear that for sure, it's not right because they knew that the dealer wasn't. I wouldn't mind my cap being bald, really could bring myself on not putting nothing there as long the cap was painted.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:06 AM   #36
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
I wouldn't want to hear that for sure, it's not right because they knew that the dealer wasn't. I wouldn't mind my cap being bald, really could bring myself on not putting nothing there as long the cap was painted.

Another option from leaving it bald, and not putting the Eagle back on it, is that there are tons of other, scenic decals that can be ordered. Just take a search on Amazon for RV decals, and all types of ones pop up. You can customize your rig a bunch of different ways. That's why I wrapped my rig, to remove all the standard Jayco graphics and logos.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:11 AM   #37

Quote:
Another option from leaving it bald, and not putting the Eagle back on it, is that there are tons of other, scenic decals that can be ordered. Just take a search on Amazon for RV decals, and all types of ones pop up. You can customize your rig a bunch of different ways. That's why I wrapped my rig, to remove all the standard Jayco graphics and logos.
RetiredOne-Would love to see a picture of your front cap
Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
BLTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:55 PM   #38
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTravels View Post
RetiredOne-Would love to see a picture of your front cap
I didn't go as crazy with the front design like the sides. Here's what it looks like.

For you guys with the bald caps, any local vinyl wrap guy can design, print and install anything/design you want. Even reproduce the Jayco logo (although I don't know why you'd want to do FREE advertising for them.)
Attached Thumbnails
RV Front final.jpg  
Old 10-09-2020, 08:03 PM   #39

Quote:

Oh, I didn't know that I think I might have to go there and check some decal out thanks.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:05 PM   #40

Quote:
I didn't go as crazy with the front design like the sides. Here's what it looks like.

For you guys with the bald caps, any local vinyl wrap guy can design, print and install anything/design you want. Even reproduce the Jayco logo (although I don't know why you'd want to do FREE advertising for them.)

Oh, that is nice did you install that yourself?